You Have Been Choosened (The Zoo)

Tonight is a very special night in The Human Zoo of the Pink Diamond facility. An event that everyone has waited thousands of years for. The Choosening. Y-6 and J-10 bring Steven and Greg over to the event. Humans of all types stand around a circle of bright blue spiritual light.

They all turn with such enthusiasm as they laugh in joy, for they believe that this event will bring them everything that they've always wanted since...
forever. J-10 faces Greg. "Gareg, step into the circle with us." Only Steven and Greg don't know what's actually in store for them just yet.

"Is it somebody's birthday?" Greg starts to get nervous as he walks off with J-10. "Stevan, wait here until The Choosening is complete." Y-6 heads over to circle to join the others as Steven stays behind, due to the fact he's not old enough to be choosened yet.

J-10 puts her hands together, bringing them up to her chin with ecstasy. "The Choosening is a very special event to us." Y-6 joins in. "We're glad to have you with us at such a wonderful time." Greg shrugs. "Glad to be here!"

Suddenly, a voice inside their heads interrupts them with her daily announcement. "Let The Choosening begin." The humans wait patiently in the hopes of being choosened. They keep their heads down with eyes closed, waiting for the voice's decision.

"U-12, please step into the center of the circle." A lady with a dark shade and black hair steps into the circle of light to wait for further instructions. "N-3, please step into the center of the circle." A man with a brighter shade and blonde hair chuckles in surprise as he steps into the center to join her.

They hold hands in joy as the announcer conforms the ritual. "You have been choosened for each other." Greg watches the new couple peck each other's lips as the last words replay in his head. "Wait a second. Is this some kind of MATCHMAKING THING?!"

His face sweats with tension as he sighs. "There's always a catch to these utopias." J-10 notices Greg's reaction, so she attempts to reassure him. "Gareg, whoever is choosened for you, you'll be very lucky." Maybe so, maybe in his teenage years, but Greg knows that this can't happen to him.

He was already choosened for Rose from his OWN decision and no one else's. J-10's earrings glow as the announcer makes another arrangement. "J-10, please step into the center of the circle." Greg watches her leave as he turns to Steven. His voice strains in his tension.

"Oh boy. St-Steven, h-help me!"
"Don't worry, Dad! You're new here so maybe you won't get choosened!" Yeah. Maybe he won't. He's only been around for about a day or two. Maybe three. There's no way. He hardly knows anyone in The Human Zoo. He gives a thumbs-up, smiling. "Right!"

Greg's earrings glow as the humans clap for him. "Gareg, please step into the center of the circle." Steven and Greg grimace for now, their family life and everything that they care about is going to change forever. They need to get out of this mess. But how?

"Hold on! Maybe there's been a mistake?!" Y-6 puts his hand on his shoulder. "Gareg, J-10 is waiting for you!" The humans cheer as J-10 waiting patiently in the center. "I see what is going on here."
"You do?!"
"You're just shy!"
"Huh?!"

Y-6 takes Greg by the shoulders before he pushes him towards J-10. "Do not worry about it!" He laughs as he puts him in front of J-10. He takes his hand as J-10 puts out hers. "Now, touch hands..." Greg's life flashes before his eyes as his hand makes his way towards hers.

This is it. Greg is about to have his second wife and Steven, a second mother. Steven closes his eyes as they well up. Things will never be the same again. Once the hands come together, Greg and J-10 finish the ritual. In Greg's head, a voice says. "Rose no longer exists."

"You have been choosened for each other." At that moment, Steven turns and rushes for the pink door that would take him out of The Human Zoo. Out of the nightmare. He bangs his fists into it as he sobs. "Mom, why did this happen?!"

His teeth clench as he thinks back to when Blue Diamond was next to Pink Diamond's palanquin, lamenting on the tragedy. He bangs another fist into the door. He chokes on his tears as he slides down to the ground on his stomache. Steven no longer has Rose as his only mother.

He has J-10 and he liked her. But as a mother?! No way! But does this mean something more? That Steven doesn't exist anymore as well? Could it be true that Greg isn't his dad anymore? That Rose was all Steven had left? He gets up and turns to the direction he came.

He's going to find Greg. He's going to find his dad and he's going to get him out The Human Zoo one way or another. He darts for The Choosening. Once he makes it, he shouts out. "DAD?! DAD!" The humans stare at him, confused by his "hurt". Steven keeps going as he rushes through the Human Zoo.

He clutches his stomache, panting, swallowing his tears. His muscles ache and his heart shatters as he keeps going. "DAD?! DAD! DAD!" Finally, Steven abruptly skids to a halt as he stares upon something that couldn't break him anymore than it did.

It's impossible, but it's true. Greg has moved on. He sits next to J-10 talking about kids and parenthood as if he was never even a father to begin with. Steven couldn't make a sound. He just stares as he feels every part of him dying. "Dad." Steven finally collapses, wishing that he never existed.

He has a family no more. Steven is now like the humans before The Choosening. Single without a family. An orphan. The only difference is that Steven knows everything and he's nowhere near cheery right now. He is feeling above all emotions, hurt.

He bawls as a Gem rushes over to him. An Amethyst, with her gem placed on the stomache, picks Steven up and she attempts to calm him down. "Hey. It's okay. What's wrong, little one?" Steven doesn't care what happens anymore. The mission is a disaster and most scarring thing he has ever been through.

He opens his glistening eyes as he stares into the Amethyst's eyes, blinded by who he's really talking to. "Amethyst, Dad has been ch-ch-choosened! H-He l-loves s-someone e-else n-now! I-I don't e-even m-matter t-to h-him a-anymore!"

The Amethyst's eyes turn soft. Actually soft. Generally, the Amethysts would have to pretend or at least force somber expressions to comfort the hurt humans. But this time, since Steven is a boy who is hurt and not a man or a woman, she herself is also sad about this just the same.

Her eyes well up and she holds back tears as she starts carrying him away. "I'm so sorry. Don't worry. I'll take you to Holly Blue. She'll know what to do with you." In that one moment, Steven actually believes that things are going to be okay.

However, Steven isn't going to be okay with anything anymore. After this, he already knows that he's going to slowly dissapear from the face of everything that once existed for him. His life and everything else is going to slowly diminish because of his dad's fate from The Choosening.