Painful Goodbyes

Ahsoka sat cross-legged on the couch, hugging her lightsabers to her chest, when Lux got home late from another long day. He immediately noticed that something was off with Ahsoka and sat down beside her.

"Bad day?" He asked, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Not exactly." She showed Lux the lightsabers and rested her head on his shoulder. "Well, sort of. I don't even know anymore."

"So Master Skywalker asked you about it today?" He asked. She had forgotten that he was in on it the whole time. His meeting with King Dendup being cancelled suddenly made sense.

"Yes. And you want me to go?"

"Yes and no." He laced his fingers through hers. "I know that you miss it, and it would make you happy to go back. I may not like it, but I want what's best for you and makes you happy. You're a responsible person, and I know you can't run away from this. Don't worry about me."

She sat up straight and looked him in the eye. "Is this really that easy?"

He nodded. "We made this work when you were away all the time, so I'm sure it will be okay for the next week or so."

Her gaze fell. "Of course, assuming all goes as planned..." She leaned on him again, closing her eyes.

"I try not to think about that," he confessed. "You're an excellent fighter, 'Soka. I have faith that you'll come back to me alive." He tilted her chin up and kissed her passionately.

"Are you sure you're okay with me doing this?" She gently squeezed his hand.

He nodded. "I'm sure. Go ahead and make the call."

She kissed him once more for good measure. "Thank you." Within a few moments, Anakin was on the other line. They would be leaving for Mandalore in the morning. Anakin would pick her up from Lux's apartment and take her back to the Jedi Temple to board a shuttle and leave. There wouldn't be much time to spend with Lux before she left.

"You'd better get some rest so you're ready for tomorrow," Lux said, standing up and walking away.

Ahsoka reached out and took his hand, stopping him. She stood up and cupped his face in her hands. "But I only have a few more hours to spend with you." She closed the distance between them, kissing him hard. He relaxed and kissed her back with equal passion.

"What was that for?" He asked, pulling away.

"One, because I love you, and two, because it's going to be a while before I get to do it again."

-:-:-:-:-:-

When Ahsoka woke up in the morning, she was tired. Lux had stayed up practically all night with her watching holodisks and talking. She was still sitting on the couch with Lux's arm around her and covered by a blanket. Her body didn't want to get up and leave her warm, comfortable position, but there wasn't a choice.

She softly kissed Lux's cheek before untangling herself from the blanket and his arms. He stirred, moaning. His arms wrapped around her waist again, pulling her closer.

As much as she wanted to remain in his embrace forever, she knew she couldn't. "Lux, you know I have to get ready to go. Anakin will be here soon."

He reluctantly let go and stood up from the couch. "I know. Do you want me to help you with any packing or food?"

She raised an eyebrow. "You? Making food?"

"Yeah, that's probably not such a good idea," he said, laughing.

"I packed last night. I just have to change and eat some breakfast before I go. Do we have any more of those biscuits from yesterday?"