Family

Ahsoka stood up as Padme gave her a hug. "It's been a while, Ahsoka."

"I thought you were dead!"

"That's what the doctors reported eighteen years ago. The galaxy was in chaos at the formation of the Empire, so it's not like it drew any attention. I've been here on Naboo with my family ever since."

Ahsoka sat back down on her bed beside Lux. "Family?"

Padme nodded. "Me and the twins, Luke and Leia."

"As in Commander Naberrie?" Lux asked.

Padme nodded. "She's been very enthusiastic about taking the Empire down, and I don't blame her."

Ahsoka nodded. Her eyes were drawn to the elaborate gold band on Padme's left ring finger. "I'm sorry about Anakin."

"What happened to him wasn't your fault, Ahsoka. I know he would be proud of you," Padme smiled. "I have a surprise for you. Come on, I'll show you." She waited by the door while Ahsoka stood up and walked over to her.

Lux grabbed her wrist before she reached Padme. "You're still connected to the machine. Come back and sit down."

Ahsoka hung her head and sat down so Lux could disconnect the wires. As soon as it was done, her eyes widened as the feeling left her legs. "That's a sensation I could live without."

Lux chuckled. "You better get used to it because if you want to walk by yourself, you have to use that machine." He scooped her up bridal style, surprising her.

"You don't have to carry me! There's a wheelchair in the corner I can use."

"Nah, this is fine," he winked.

They followed Padme to a room a few doors down. Padme opened it to reveal a small sitting room. A boy and a girl sat beside each other and immediately stopped talking when they entered. The force was strong with both of them, and Ahsoka could sense Anakin's presence in both of them.

"These are my kids, Luke and Leia."

They both stood up.

"We've heard a lot about you, Miss Tano," Luke said. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Ahsoka smiled and shook their hands. "It's nice to meet you both." She looked up at Lux, who looked lost in thought. "Hey, you okay?"

He nodded. "I just can't wait for you to see the rest."

Padme walked over to the twins and directed them toward a door in the back. "We're going to be back here. Come in when you're ready." Ahsoka nodded, and they left her and Lux alone.

Lux put her down on a bench and sat down next to her. He kissed her softly and wrapped his arms around her, resting is chin between her montrals. "You know I love you, right?"

"Of course I do." She closed her eyes and relaxed her head against his chest.

"Good."

For the first time in a while, despite everything that was going on in the galaxy, Ahsoka felt a sense of safety wash over her. Sure, she knew she was perfectly capable of protecting herself, but knowing it and feeling it were two different things.

"I, uh, have something to tell you," he said. "I officially resigned from the Imperial Senate this morning."

She untangled herself from him and looked him in the eye. "I'm sorry, you did what?"

"You heard me."

She shook her head in disbelief. "Why would you do that?"

"Because if all business trips are going to be like that, count me out."