PD| "Living Single"

Chapter Thirteen
________

"You do what you want when you're popping"
- Paris
~
Will be a long chapter❣️

Paris looked down at Edith and Heidi, smiling at their happiness as they looked through the bags that she had brought them. She had been spoiling them rotten more than usual just to keep their minds off the reality of their breaking family. She didn't dare bring Gio around no matter how anxious he was to meet them. But he had to respect her decision.

Just as the gifts were for the twins, Gio was the perfect distraction for Paris. When they were together she forgot all about her problems and depression, however, being alone only worsened it. It didn't help that she only smiled in people's faces and pretended to be "great". She was still breaking inside and although she wanted to be happy, she wanted to be happy with Johan.

That wasn't an option anymore.

All she could see was him and Sevyn sleeping together. It hurt her soul whenever she thought about it so she tried hard not to think about it.

"What do y'all say?" Her mother asked them as she sat far off in the kitchen with a cigarette in her hand.

"Thank you so much, mommy!" Heidi said excitedly, his eyes wide as he picked up his new iPad and headphones.

Edith got up and hugged her mother her own iPad in hand as she did so. "Thank you!"

"No problem. After school tomorrow, I'm gonna take y'all to the Apple Store so y'all can take a little class on how to use them, okay?" Paris asked, hugging her daughter back.

They both nodded before looking at each other and darting away to their room.

Joyse recrossed her legs, shaking her head at her young daughter. "So, that's your way of telling them?" She asked, sweeping the bud on the bottom of her cancer stick against the ashtray.

Paris rolled her eyes before standing and going into the kitchen to accompany her mother.

"Those kids are smart, Paris. Just like you were when me and your dad were going through this very thing." Joyse reminded her as she dropped the cigarette in the tray and looked at her from across the counter. "You can't hide this forever."

Paris closed her eyes and let that sink in. "They're so young. I understand more than ever why you went about it the way you did, because it would've been a lot to-"

"Paris, baby. You can say that all you want. I said the exact same thing but all that will do is make them blame you for the distance of their father whether you're letting them see him or not. You can't just shower them with gifts to make up for the pain that it'll bring in the future." Joyse lectured. "They'll remember this forever, that iPad will be replaced with an upgraded version within a year."

Paris frowned. Her mother was right. She took the advice in so many different ways because she remembered going through it as a child. She didn't want to ruin the family like she thought her mother had for years. With a nod to acknowledge what was said, Paris grabbed her purse and gave her a peck on the cheek. "I love you, mama. Thank you for this talk. I'll be here to get them tonight."

Joyse rolled her eyes. "Mhmm..."

In the car, Paris stared at the street signs to note where she was going, just to make sure she was headed in the right direction. She knew that Cartier didn't live very far and if she could talk to anyone and get authentic advice, it'd be from him.