Part Seven

"Bailey Evans!"
I groaned inwardly and turned around to find that our bloody irritating Deputy Principal was walking towards me.
What the hell did I do to deserve his wrath on the very first morning of Term Two?
I swallowed nervously as the suit wearing, prematurely balding man strode towards me.
Then I noticed that there was a boy beside Mister Whatever His Name Is.
And a girl.
I'd never seen either one of them before, but I'd only been at this school for one term so far.
On second glance, I'm pretty sure if these teenagers had been at this school before, I'd have noticed them.
They had olive tanned skin, with shiny, thick black hair and sparkling green eyes that were encased by shockingly thick lashes.
Their appearance was definitely foreign.
Exotic.
"I need you to show Andre and Clayre the ropes of this school."
Mister Whatever His Name Is, stated.
Nice one dumb ass, give the job of showing new kids around to the girl who's only been here a Term!
This idiot only has it in for me because my last name is Evans.
I'm not 'naughty' in class or around the school, so he's got to find some other way to get to me.
I ground my teeth together, in an attempt to A) Not snap at the Deputy Principal to shut up and leave me alone and B) Make these poor new kids not feel like I hate them, just because I'm too stressed right now to care about school, or showing new kids around.
"Yes Sir."
I muttered.
If I wasn't mistaken, I actually saw surprise flicker on his face before he nodded sharply.
"Thank you."
With that, he turned on his stupid shiny and pointy toed black dress shoes and walked away.
I turned to the new kids.
What did he say their name's were again?
The boy was wearing our green polo shirt and he had a pair of expensive looking dark wash jeans on, along with an expensive looking pair of sand shoes.
The girl was wearing our girls' uniform dress, but had clearly picked a 'too small' size, because it was taught across her bust and the hem of the skirt ended at above mid thigh.
Her hair was thick and long, curtailing her tanned and perfect face that was flawless.
Even her make up enhanced green eyes were perfect.
Her lips were plump and pink.
But I tried extremely hard to not judge her just on first glances.
"I'm Bailey..."
I stated awkwardly.
"I'm Andre."
The boy replied, his voice thick with some kind of an accent I couldn't pinpoint.
"This is my twin Sister Clayre."
He gestured to the girl.
The girl who was staring off at something away in the school yard.
Andre nudged her side.
"Sorry what?"
She asked, snapping her attention back our way.
She shared the same accent as her brother.
"You're supposed to be saying hello to Bailey."
Andre muttered.
My name seemed to roll off his tongue like I'd never heard it do to anybody before.
"Hello!"
Clayre chirped, practically bouncing on the toes of her black, shiny, expensive looking shoes.
"Hi..."
Why the hell did our idiot Deputy Principal give me this job?
Mentally I face palmed.
"Do you have assigned locker's yet?"
I asked them, trying hard to keep the irritation out of my voice.
"Right here."
Andre declared, extending a small piece of paper towards me.
Biting back a sigh, I took the paper, our finger's briefly brushing against each other.
I looked quickly up to his intense green eyes, before I plucked the piece of paper from his fingers.
Great.
Their locker's are in the same block as mine.
Is that why Idiot Deputy assigned me as their personal tour guide?
"Come on and I'll show you to your locker's."
I sighed, trying hard to keep the tone out of my voice that said I was already well and truly fed up with the day.
And it's barely even started.
Get through the school hours and you get to go and see Zander.
With that in mind, I found a zing to add to my step.
"Have you been here long Bailey?"
Clayre's voice questioned as the three of us walked toward the building that house's my locker.
And their's.
"I've been backwards and forwards to Reef Bay for all my life."
I explained.
"That sounds frustrating."
Andre commented.
I rolled my eyes.
"That's what happen's when your parents aren't together."

By Recess I had a headache.
Andre and Clayre seemed nice enough.
And one or both of them had been in all three of my classes so far.
But between the talk of Zander and his shark attack and these twins being new and shiny, I just wanted to go home and go to bed.
A hug from Zander would be the ultimate comfort.
But he hasn't hugged me yet since the attack.
I guess he's too sore.
"You okay?"
Hayley asked, easing down beside me on the third top amphitheatre step.
I wasn't sure that I could answer without having a meltdown, so I didn't bother.
Instead I propped my elbows on my thighs and I rubbed at my temples with my fingertips.
"Do you need some Nurofen or something?"
Hayley whispered.
"Please."
I croaked.
Hayley shuffled around a minute and then she offered me a tin foil packet.
I popped two of the capsules out and gave her back the rest, then I popped the pills into my mouth and took a swig from my water bottle.
"Hang in there."
Hayley soothed, gently rubbing my back.
"Only four lessons to go."
Yeah.
And with the way my luck was going today, I'd get through those lessons and have a missed call and a voicemail that told me that Zander didn't want to see us anymore today.
The idea that Keegan and I were headed to see him after school was the only thing that was currently keeping me sane.
"Is everything okay?"
I had to physically bite my tongue so that I didn't snap at Andre to just shut up!
Why was he suddenly sitting alongside me?
He seemed to be finding every and any opportunity to be near me and talk to me.
Be nice he's new and doesn't know anybody yet.
That annoying, rational voice inside my head chided.
A vibrating in my pocket snapped me out of my almost breakdown.
I hurriedly unzipped my school dress pocket and fished my phone out.
The hospital code I was now familiar with, was plastered across my screen.
I deliberated.
I badly wanted to hear Zander's voice.
But it would most likely literally be my undoing if he told me not to come to the hospital this afternoon.
Suck it up Princess and answer it before it stops ringing!
Biting into my lower lip, I tapped the green answer button and placed the iPhone against my ear.
"He-hello?"
Damn it!
I squeezed my eyes shut.
"Babe what's wrong?"
That doesn't sound like 'hey guess what I don't want to see you today'.
I used my free hand to dump my recess into Hayley's lap and I sprang up from my spot, walking away from the group to get some privacy.
"Bails?"
Zander sounded concerned.
"I'm okay!"
I told him, jumping off the last amphitheatre step.
"I'm glad to hear that, but I'm not really convinced."
So intuitive.
"How's your day been?"
I questioned, wanting to change the subject.
"Actually not too bad. And I've even seen the Psychologist."
He'd told me yesterday that he'd be seeing the Psychologist today.
"That's awesome."
I told him.
"How'd it go?"
He laughed lightly.
"Pretty good considering I still said the day's been alright."
"That's amazing Babe. I'm so proud of you."
"How's your day been?"
Damn it!
I squeezed my eyes shut.
Don't ask me that!
"Bailey?"
He asked wearily.
"Isn't it enough that I miss you like crazy and want you home?!"
I exploded.
"Uhh..."
"Apparently not! Because every damn student here is hunting me down and asking me 'how's Zander?' and 'when's Zander coming back?' and 'how cool are his scars?'."
I choked on the end.
And I realised a moment too late that I'd made a mistake in venting that much to Zander.
I at the very least should have stopped before the 'scars' comment.
I slammed a hand over my mouth, but it was too late.
The words were out.
You can't take back words.
"Zander I'm sorry."
I sobbed, sinking down to sit on the edge of a low garden bed border.
Silence.
Several streams of tears ran down my cheeks.
Why do I have to always fuck up?!
"I don't know any of the other phone numbers."
Zander finally all but whispered.
"But tell Keegan to tell the guys to make those nosy fucker's leave you alone."
He said, his tone growing firmer with every word.
"I'm not doing that!"
I denied, burying my face into my free hand.
"Besides, I haven't even seen Keegan since we got here this morning."
I explained, running my hand into my hair.
"Well I don't like you being bombarded with this shit."
"I-its okay."
I dragged in a slightly shaky breath.
"No it's not."
Zander denied.
"You're greatly loved around this town and this school Zander, it's not surprising people want to know."
I reasoned.
"Yeah but they can leave you the hell alone."
I snorted.
Like that was going to happen.
"Are you umm... still up to coming out to the hospital this arvo?"
If I wasn't mistaken, Zander sounded vulnerable.
"That is definitely what I want."
I told him, cupping my chin in my free left hand.
Zander released a breath.
"Well that's good. Coz I wanted to see you. Especially after your first day back..."
I managed a smile, without even trying.
He's such a cutie pie!
And I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person who know's that side to him.
Or maybe Keegan know's he can be sweet...
"Then I'll see you this afternoon."
I stated.
"Just tell anybody who asks you about me from now on to fuck off."
Zander reasoned.
If only it was that simple.
"I'll keep that in mind."
I relented.
"I'm so glad you're having a good day again and I can't wait to see you later."
"Me too Babe."
"I gotta go, recess is almost over."
"Righto."
"Bye bye."
He laughed lightly.
"Bye."
I pulled the phone from my ear and ended the call.
I was no longer hungry.
But it probably wasn't a good idea to skip recess and wait until lunch.
Especially since I couldn't stomach breakfast this morning.
I pushed myself to my feet and pocketed my phone as I headed back to my group's hang out spot.