Part Thirty Nine

Trauma induced blindness.
The words swirled around my mind like a nightmare.
I might get my sight back.
I might not.
Doctor Walker (whoever he was, because all I knew was that his voice was slightly gravelly) believed there was around a 70% chance of me regaining my usual vision, within time.
Doctor Calton on the other hand (once again, whoever he was, I just knew his voice was kind of husky/scratchy sounding), believed that after the first 48 hours of my being awake, if I still couldn't see, the chances of me regaining my usual sight dropped to be 60%.
If after 72 hours if there was no improvement then the odds dropped back further to 50%.
If after a week there was nothing...
Then it wouldn't be likely I'd be seeing again.
Or at least not to the extent I'd had pre accident.
My heart wouldn't beat at a steady rhythm.
Anxiety filled adrenaline coursed through my veins, leaving me feeling edgy and nervous.
My breath's were short, sharp and shallow.
How did this happen to me?
How could I live my life suddenly blind or with only partial vision?
I wouldn't be able to see where I was going if I remained fully blind!
I wouldn't see Phoenix again.
I wouldn't see the faces of my family!
How would I adjust?
Currently, I wasn't sure if the lights were on or off in the hospital room and realistically it didn't even matter if they were or weren't.
No matter how wide I stretched my eyelids open, I still couldn't see a damn thing.
Not even a single spec of light.
My world was in blackness.
Scary darkness.
I tried to sit still in the stiff bed, too nervous about toppling over the edge or something if I moved.
I'd told the Doctor's already that I didn't want to see anybody, but because I'm underage my Mum had been in the room with me while the Doctor's spoke to me at their individual times about my condition and I was fairly positive she hadn't left yet, although she'd spoken quietly to the last Doctor when he was leaving.
"Can I get you anything?"
Mum's soft, but anxious voice broke into the silence of the room, letting me know with certainty that she was still here.
I couldn't see her, but it sounded like she'd spoken from somewhere off to my right.
"No."
My traitorous voice came out weak and croaky.
The only thing anybody could 'get me' that I'd even want, was my old life back.
The life where I have my sight.
Where I have Zander by my side.
The one where I have friends and my biggest worry is Phoenix's health and safety and my school grades.
But nobody can do that for me.
Apparently not even the Doctor's can.
"A drink?"
Mum's shaky voice suggested.
It was clear she was desperate to be of some use.
I've just learned there's a chance I'll never see the light of the world again and she wants to know if I want a drink?!
A drink?
And how the hell am I going to manage that one?!
What would they give me, a soppy cup with a straw in it so I couldn't spill the contents?
I'd probably poke my now useless eye out!
"No!"
I all but yelled, clenching my fists tight.
"Bailey-"
"Leave me alone!"
I choked, tears filling up behind my eyes.
She's my Mother and she doesn't even get it...
My throat felt like a fresh sheet of sand paper, thick, dry and scratchy.
My chest hurt, like it was squeezing in on itself too much, steel bars closing in.
My breath's were short and sharp as I fought to inhale a proper lungful.
"Bailey you need to calm down."
I heard something scrape against the floor, but I couldn't pull myself out of my hunched over position, firmly hugging my knees and trying to suck in a real breath.
"GET OUT!"
I screamed.
The words bounced off the walls, echoing around the room.
I felt completely alone, lost in the world of darkness, so I might as well actually be alone.

Zander

I paced the shiny floor, holding my head between my hands.
My heart felt literally like it was no longer inside my body, but back in that hospital room with Bailey.
She can't see.
One Doctor said there are high chances her full vision will come back.
Another has a far darker outlook on the situation, claiming that if she improves within the next twenty four hours or so, she'll probably regain full vision, but anything beyond that...
I cringed against the mere thought.
Who are we even supposed to believe?
How can two Doctor's in the same damn Hospital, seeing to the same patient have such different views to each other?
"This is fucked. They have to be able to do something!"
Brogan insisted.
"They're doin' what they can Bro."
I heard Darwin attempt to reason.
Suddenly loud screams and a crashing sound came from somewhere behind the large double doors.
I spun around to look towards the doors, something inside of me telling me I knew exactly who that voice belonged to.
We'd all been ordered out while the Doctor's spoke with her.
To think of her all alone, suffering like this...
With that kind of devastating news...
It literally clawed at my soul.
It just wasn't fair.
"That's Bailey!"
Keegan confirmed my thoughts, shooting up out of a rigid waiting room chair he'd been seated in.
He ran for the doors and I took off after him.
Who cares what these Doctor's say?
We can't leave her alone like this!
"Guys you can't-"
Kylie attempted to stop us, moving quickly after us.
Like hell we can't!
But I didn't have it in me to yell at Kylie.
For my whole life she's been like my Aunt.
And she's Keegan and Bailey's Mum.
"You can't go back there right now!"
A Doctor bloke in a white jacket slipped in front of Keegan and I, blocking our path to the dark blue double doors.
"She needs us!"
Keegan insisted, a frown marring his brow.
"We're going to assess the situation and give her a sedative if she needs it."
The Doctor declared, eyeing us both.
Sedative?
How the fuck's that going to help anything?!
"You might wanna move out the way."
Was Arian seriously talking to us?
Why wouldn't he want us to help Bailey?!
Both Keegan and I turned around to find that a decent crowd had formed behind us.
But no, Arian's blue eyes were locked on the Doctor.
I almost felt smug
He was telling Old Mate Doctor to move!
"Security!"
The Doctor yelled for some backup, briefly pulling his eyes off us.
With his momentary distraction, Keegan lunged to grab the door handle.
The Doctor was quick to respond though, jumping forward to grab Keegan's arm and pull him back.
"Don't you fucken touch him!"
The booming demand came from Brogan and Corbin as they stormed forward, looking just like the trouble they'd always been.
A few burly guys dressed in black, with radio's clipped to their belt's promptly arrived on scene, their expressions stern.
Two of them grabbed onto Brogan and Corbin and a third grabbed Keegan, taking him away from the Doctor.
"Go Zan!"
Keegan yelled at me as the Security guy pulled him back, several feet away from the door and the Doctor.
Me?!
They want me to go?
I kicked myself into gear.
I wouldn't make them tell me twice!
The Doctor went to grab me, but I'd already learned from Keegan's mistake and feigned to the left.
He missed my arm by mere centimetres and I sprinted for the double doors.
Behind me I heard thump's and groan's, but I paid it no attention as I slipped through just a narrow gap in the double doors.
Once I was in the seperate corridor, I sprinted down the hall in the direction of Bailey's room, not giving anybody a chance to catch me.