Part Twenty Six

After yet another long week of school, I was glad it was once again Friday.
On Monday Zander had another checkup at the hospital and his Doctor's were super impressed with the turn his recovery had taken.
He's even put on a whole eighteen kilo's since being home apparently.
Tomorrow marks eight weeks since his accident.
He really was doing remarkably well in his recovery.
"Hey Bailey."
The light brown hair and the blue-green eyes that were a part of the boy who was standing in front of me, made me smile.
It was my first Friday afternoon catch up with eleven year old Hunter.
I eyed my little brother over.
Eleven years old and he's already taller than me!
How embarrassing!
And unfair!
"Shall we go see our movie?"
I suggested.
Hunter nodded quickly.
"Well lets go."
I turned around to head in the direction of the Main Street and the movie theatre.
Finding something to do with Hunter had been a little more challenging.
He's eleven, so I couldn't exactly suggest a play at the park.
And I don't have a license that allows me to take him any place exciting.
Thankfully there were a few movies out that he apparently wanted to see, which left us with a manageable option.
"How have you been buddy?"
I asked as we walked away from the Primary School.
"Okay I guess."
Hunter answered, clutching at the straps of his backpack and focusing his eyes on the crooked pavement of the path that we were following.
"Been up to anything exciting?"
I prompted, seeing as apparently he wasn't a chatterbox like Jolan.
Hunter shook his head.
"My sister and brother are four and two and my Mum is gonna have another baby soon, but she doesn't know if it's a boy or a girl, so we don't have time to do anything good."
My heart clenched for the poor kid.
While it was fair for his Mum and her partner to have more kids, in my opinion they still had to remember that Becky's eldest son, Hunter, is eleven.
He needs attention and activities that stimulate him and that he enjoys.
"That's pretty exciting to have a surprise baby?"
I suggested.
Hunter pulled a distasteful face.
"Not really. The house is already a mad house with Taylor and Nate anyway."
Okay so the siblings are a touchy subject...
Guess Hunter doesn't want yet another baby in his house.
"How's school going?"
I asked.
Hunter sighed.
"My classes are fine, but..."
Oh no.
Not more trouble?
"But?"
I prompted, attempting to keep my voice at an encouraging and supportive note.
Hunter shot me a sideways glance.
"Jolan told me you know about Kaylen."
Oh.
"I do."
I agreed.
"Has something more happened?"
"Not really. I just always have to try and stop Jolan from fighting kids."
Yes.
I'd seen Jolan on Monday afternoon and he didn't have much to say on the subject.
But yesterday afternoon I received a text message from Casey letting me know that she was called into the school twice this week and so she is taking away Jolan's privileges for the next few days, which includes our usual Monday catch up.
My heart had sunk when I'd seen her words after yet another awesome lesson on Phoenix.
But I couldn't tell somebody how to Mother their child.
I'm not a Mother, so I certainly don't have the right to offer up an opinion.
When I'd spoken to Kylie though, she was in agreement with me.
She was concerned Jolan's behaviour would only get worse if Casey banned him from the things he was enjoying, because he was acting out through two fairly obvious causes: 1) His younger brother was being picked on and 2) His Dad had disappeared without so much as a goodbye.
Finally the movie theatre came into view.
"Let's find a movie to watch hey!"
I suggested.
Hunter nodded his agreement.

The sounds of child like hands banging on the closed wooden door made it challenging to hear what Hunter was trying to say to me.
Either his little Sister and Brother missed him, or were just plain terror's.
Why wasn't Becky coming to do anything about the racket?
Hunter rolled his eyes and shook his head.
"Thank you!"
He raised his voice to be heard over the noise.
With a smile, I stepped forward and opened my arms, inviting him in for a hug.
He was eleven, so I wasn't sure if it was by now considered uncool to hug your big sister.
Hunter stepped up and hugged me though, squeezing me tight.
"You've got my phone number, yeah?"
I asked.
I felt him nod.
"Don't be a stranger."
I patted him on the back.
"And we'll catch up again. Next week if you want."
"Okay."
He agreed.
Suddenly the front door opened and a young pair of kids spilled out, the girl looking to be pre school aged and the boy a Toddler.
The boy surprised me by launching at me and wrapping his small arms around my legs.
"Mate!"
With a roll of his eyes, Hunter swooped in to pry his brother off me.
"Hello!"
Hunter's sister chirped.
She was brunette, with brown eyes and a wide smile, her eyes sparkling.
She was wearing a dress like Elsa from the Disney movie Frozen.
"Hi!"
I smiled back at her.
"Hello."
I turned to the open doorway to find that Hunter's Mum, Becky had finally arrived.
"Hi."
I greeted.
Hunter herded his brother towards the open doorway.
With a dramatic scream of rebellion, the Toddler threw himself at the ground.
Even I could see he just didn't want to go back inside.
"Hunter!"
Becky exclaimed, bending down to retrieve her younger son.
Hunter clenched his jaw.
I frowned.
Why was she blaming Hunter?
"Get inside!"
Becky ordered, scooping the Toddler off the floor and stepping aside to make room in the doorway.
The girl wearing the Elsa dress slipped into the dark hallway.
Shooting me a glance, Hunter bent to pick his backpack up, then headed inside.
The Toddler had stopped his wailing now that he was sitting on his Mum's hip.
"Sorry."
Becky shot me a smile.
"It's bed time."
Bed time?
The last I'd seen, the time was 6:00.
Surely not that much time has passed!
"I-I'll leave you to it."
I told Hunter's Mum and took a step backwards towards the path.
"Thanks for taking Hunter out."
Becky said before she disappeared inside and all but slammed the door.
I stared at the single storey brick house in bewilderment.
That's how Hunter lives?
Don't pass judgement Bailey, you've seen five minutes of their life
Yeah.
Five minutes too long.
With my mind whirling, I turned on my heel and headed for home.
My duties weren't done though.
When I got home Zane, Cooper and Dawson would be there, because Kylie was having them for the weekend again.
I guess things were hard for Arian and Alice, with Alice and baby Harley being in hospital still.
I got a mere twenty metres down the road when car headlights shone behind me and a car horn beeped.
I twisted around, curious as to why the vehicle was beeping.
I wasn't on the road.
The rather large car slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road.
Finally I recognised Keegan's Hilux.
I'd told him I'd be home somewhere between 6 and 7.
He'd told me he would pick Zander up around 6.
Sweet I don't have to walk home!
I walked to the passenger side back door and pulled it open, slinging my backpack across the seat before I hauled myself up.
It was good to finally ditch that backpack!
"Howdy."
"Allo."
Keegan and Zander's voices overlapped as they greeted me.
"Hey."
I muttered as I buckled my seat belt.
"What's wrong?"
The frown was audible in Zander's voice even before I looked up to see it on his face.
"Nothing."
I denied, setting my hands into my lap.
"Bullshit."
The best friend's denied.
I cast one last look over my shoulder towards Hunter's home, my chest tightening.
"What happened?"
It was Keegan who asked.
Amazingly he hasn't driven off down the road yet.
I chewed on my lower lip as I deliberated over voicing my concerns.
"Bailey?"
Zander prompted.
"I don't think Hunter lives all that great at that house!"
I blurted.
My boyfriend and brother both turned around in the front seats.
"Whaddya mean?"
Keegan asked.
The suddenly tight edge to his eyes made me realise he was growing protective towards our younger brother.
"Just a few thing's I saw..."
I explained, trailing off.
"Like?"
Zander prompted.
I explained to them about the racket in the house when we'd arrived, to which they both just rolled their eyes at.
When I told them about Becky's reaction towards Hunter merely guiding his Toddler brother towards the house and the Toddler's dramatic reaction, both boys frowned.
"Call and see if he wants to stay the weekend with us."
Keegan suggested.
My heart swelled with pride for my next older brother.
But I had two options.
"Becky's phone or Hunter's?"
Zander grimaced.
"It'll have to be Becky's. If you let Hunter know and his Mum says no he'll be devo."
He had a point.
I fumbled for my phone in my pocket, then located Becky's contact and tapped on it to call her.
I put the call on speaker mode, so Keegan and Zander could listen in.
"Hello?"
Becky's rather breathless voice finally picked up, just when I was starting to give up hope.
"Uhh hey Becky i-its Bailey."
Mentally i face palmed.
Good going with the stuttered Bailey.
And she probably already know's it's you if she looked at her caller ID.
Or if she even saved my number...
"Hi Bailey."
Becky sounded...cagey.
"Uhh I was just wondering... i-if maybe Hunter might want to come stay o-over?"
Keegan frowned at me.
Did I not ask the question right?
I know I struggled to get my words out.
"Thank's for the offer, but he's fine where he is."
Becky's tone was clipped and final.
"I have to go."
With that, she hung up.
I stared wide eyed at my phone, then looked up to Zander and Keegan.
"Somethin' fishy's goin' on here."
Keegan muttered, frowning.
It was fishy alright.
And my tummy was churning with nerves.
"Well we can't just sit here."
Keegan finally stated.
"She's said no."
"And what if Hunter's in danger?!"
I demanded, clenching my hands into fists.
"Then we have to go around her."
Keegan explained.
Oh no...
"You mean like kidnap our brother?!"
I demanded.
We could get arrested for that!
We would get arrested!
"No."
Keegan shook his head.
He started his car and began to drive.
"Where are we going?!"
I demanded.
I thought we were meant to be helping Hunter?
"We have to think rationally about what we do from here."
Keegan explained as he navigated us through the dark street's.
"He's right."
Zander agreed.
"And how exactly are we supposed to do that?"
I was positively squirming in my seat with the anxious need to do something.
"We have to be careful."
Keegan explained.
He turned the steering wheel and we bounced into what I just now realised was our driveway.
"Accusations of abuse and neglect can be dangerous."
Keegan warned.
"So what do we do?"
I asked, my voice cracking.
"We talk to people who are a bit wiser."
Keegan told me.
He turned his car off and pushed his door open.