Part Forty Five

The late winter wind whipped my hair around my head as it tore through the wound down passenger side window.
Zander didn't want us to use my Birthday present passes for our getaway, but I'd insisted.
When else would we get the chance to use them?
On Sunday was our six months of getting together.
A small part of me realised that we'd 'broken up' a few times during the six months, but Zander was determined we should celebrate regardless, giving us a chance to look at the positives rather than more negatives.
The giddy, girlie part of Me agreed wholeheartedly.
Why not snag any excuse I could, to spend some solitary time away with my gorgeous Boyfriend whom I'm 100% in love with?
The crunch and rumble of the Hilux's tyres turning onto gravel made me snap out of my thoughts.
An almost white stretch of road loomed ahead of us.
I snapped my head around to look at Zander, who sat in the driver's seat, staring out at the road while the tyres rumbled.
"Where are you going?!"
I asked, noticing with alarm that he'd turned off the bitumen road.
Zander shot Me a sideways glance.
"Following the directions."
Oh...
A blush warming my cheeks, I sunk into the passenger seat.
Maybe I should just shut up...
Zander laughed lightly, his shoulders shaking slightly.
Biting into my lower lip, I looked out the window at the plant life that surrounded us.
It was familiar, though I hadn't seen it in years.
With how dry the road and the ground seemed, you wouldn't think the plants would thrive, but they were designed for this climate.
It reminded me of getaway's with my Mother.
Unfortunately due to not getting along too well with my Step Siblings, it meant I'd spent a lot of time in solitary play here as a child.
Finally a sparkle out the corner of my right eye caught my attention.
I turned my head to catch a glance of the River beyond the tree's and shrubbery.
A bubbling sensation of excitement began to simmer in my veins and I squirmed in my seat.
The Diesel engine began to purr as we headed up an incline in the pale, dusty road.
I swallowed and crinkled my nose against the dusty taste that was suddenly in my mouth.
Damn dusty roads...
Sander took his left hand off the gearstick and reached forward to adjust some knob's on the dashboard.
Suddenly air pooled out of the vents and began to dispel the opaque dust that lingered in the air inside the cab.
We reached the crest of the rise and Zander slowed the Hilux, letting the vehicle come to a stop and idle at the peak.
We both scanned the scenery in front of us, Me taking in the seemingly never ending length of wide water, where the sun glinted against various part's of the water.
Tree's lined sections of the riverbank and to my left stretched bounds of what appeared to be National Park.
Up ahead buildings of varying sizes were scattered about, the sun glinting off some iron rooftops and car's dust smeared windshields.
We'd made it.
But we needed to find the place we were calling home for the weekend.
"You ready?"
I turned my head to grin over at Zander.
We weren't heading home until Monday.
That meant I had an entire weekend of not having to share Zander with anybody.
"I'm ready!"
I agreed.
Zander adjusted the gear stick and the Hilux's engine groaned as it increased the rev's, preparing to get the car on the move again.
We rolled forward and Zander let the hill do most of the work for the car, letting us just roll down the slight slope of the other side.

Zander parked the Hilux next to what almost looked like a blue tin shed, with a small decking on the front that had a two person table and chairs set sitting on it.
It had a sliding door on the front and from where we were parked I could see a few black rimmed windows along the side of the structure.
It was rustic looking, but it was a gift and i could Hardy complain.
"Ready?"
I pulled my gaze off the structure to twist around and face Zander.
"I sure am!"
I nodded quickly.
With a smile, he unbuckled his seat belt, then reached forward to take the key out of the ignition.
I scrambled to unbuckle my own belt and climb down from the beastly car.
Time to check out this place Mum seemed to think I'd like...
Zander met me at the front of the car, pocketing his keys and his phone and then he reached out for my hand.
Giddiness bubbling inside of Me, I grabbed onto his hand and all but ran for the shed-like building.
"Jeez!"
Laughter laced Zander's voice as he followed after Me, allowing Me to pull him along.
I hurried up the few wooden steps, onto the equally wooden decking, my thongs clad feet making slapping noises.
I skidded to a stop, realisation dawning on Me.
Would a place like this even leave the doors unlocked?
How would we get in?
"What?"
Zander asked, tugging on my shoulder to get Me to twist around.
A hot blush warmed my cheeks.
"The keys..."
Zander's deep blue eyes sparkled as he smiled down at Me.
"I called ahead yesterday. I know where the key is."
He let go of my hand and stepped around Me.
He called ahead?
When?
Why didn't he tell Me?
I twisted around to watch him walk over to a small, potted plant that was sitting in the middle of the small glass table.
He used one hand to pick the terracotta pot up and used his other to grab a glinting blue key off the table.
Score!