Part Fifty Five

Zander

I sat on the sand, beside my board which was standing upright, where I'd dug the nose into the sand to give the board balance.
Squinting against the morning sun sparkling on the blue-green ocean, I ran my fingers through my wet hair.
My number one pet hate is fighting with Bailey.
Yet I let her kick me out yesterday.
What was reeling around my mind, was; how the fuck were we always in this predicament?
Why did it always seem like something or someone was trying to tear us apart?
Was she only mad about Darcey being interstate, in the same comp as me, because she was trying to deflect her feeling over what happened to her on the weekend?
Or did she legitimately just not trust me?
How did she even know Darcey was there?
I didn't tell her, because even now, I didn't get why I needed to.
Darcey and I weren't the only people from SA who went to the comp.
People I'd never even heard of, but came from the same state as me went!
So how did Bailey know?
Better yet, who was trying to cause trouble, making it look like I was trying to deceive her?
With a thousand lies
And a good disguise-
I snapped my head around, looking down to my discarded t-shirt which had my phone sitting on top of it, safely out of the fluffy white sand.
The iPhone screen was lit up with an incoming call, Keegan's name plastered across the top.
Hit 'em right between the eyes
I wasn't ready to listen to more of my so called best friend's excuses, so I pushed the side button on my phone, effectively silencing the ringtone and I let the call ring out.
Yeah, today might be Wednesday, but after finding out what Keegan and all the other guys lied to me about, it was going to take more than a couple of days of ignoring their calls and texts.
Most of them had seemed to get the message.
I'd had a message each from Benjie, Arian, Darwin, Elliot, Brogan, Corbin, Jace, Ethan, Kade and Heath telling me, for once without excuses, that they were sorry.
Monday and most of yesterday they'd all tried to feed me excuses that were supposed to apparently make their choice better.
As with anyone who's trying to dig their arse out of shit, though, the apology was merely for their own conscience.
Keegan hadn't let up on trying to call and text me.
With a thousand lies
And a good disguise-
I jumped nearly out of my skin, my phone's current ringtone scaring the shit out of me.
Hit 'em right between the eyes
I looked down at the screen and scowled, seeing Keegan's name plastered across the top once again.
Yeah, one day I'll probably forgive him.
But right now I'm too fucking angry.
He knows how I feel about his Sister.
There was absolutely no excuse for not calling me the second that she was in trouble.
I silenced the racket once again and held the phone loosely in my hand while it silently rang out.
When the screen finally reverted to my home page, I breathed a relived sigh.
It fucking hurts to be angry at the people that mean the most to you.
For most of our lives Keegan and I had been next to inseparable.
The thought brought me back to Bailey.
The Boys' first excuse was that Bailey had made them promise to not tell me until I got home.
Well most of me wanted to take my anger out on her, too, except seeing how absolutely broken and distraught she was, I couldn't let myself be angry at her for her choice.
I was just taking it out on everybody else.
I cringed as my last words to her yesterday rolled through my mind.
It's hypocritical of you to be pissed at me for supposedly keeping secrets when you didn't let anybody tell me what fucking happened to you!
Like a five year old, my angry and her self had wanted to get the last word in.
But now and ever since, I'd been regretting my angered choice.
As if she doesn't have enough to deal with.
With a thousand lies
I looked down at my phone, seeing yet another call from Keegan.
And a good disguise
Three literal times in a row was pretty intense.
Even in these last couple of times he'd only tried me every other hour or so.
Hit 'em right between the eyes
It's a Hunter/Evans rule.
If you're called over and over again; then it's a fucking emergency.
If it's not an emergency, then you call once or twice and you leave a text or a voicemail telling the person what you wanted.
I remembered Benjie drilling it into me when I'd first learned his mobile number as a kid.
'If its an emergency, call me until I pick up'.
He'd told me.
The same went for the rest of us.
Hit 'em right between the eyes
If Keegan's ignored the rule and is just being a prick, then I'll kick his arse.
I slid my finger across the answer bar and held the phone up against my right ear.
"This had better be good."
I said by way of greeting.
"Did you spring Bailey?"
My best friend's voice automatically answered.
I immediately found myself sitting up straighter.
"No! I'm sitting on the beach with my board and the waves as company!"
Holy fuck...
What the hell's happened?
"Then she's gone."
The fear in Keegan's voice was more than audible.
I sprang to my feet, not even needing to use my hands because adrenaline had already hit my veins.
"I'm on my way!"
I told Keegan and pulled the phone from my ear to end the call.
I grabbed my dark blue Hurley t-shirt off the sand and yanked my surf board's nose out of the ground, making a sprint towards the car park where my car was waiting.