Part Sixteen

My heart was in my throat while I sat waiting in the Diner for Debbie Tyrant to arrive.
She was available to meet me for a maximum of an hour and a half, while Kaylen and Luka attended a birthday party.
But I was nervous.
When I'd run into her and Luka at the Surf Carnival, she'd brushed me off like she had no clue who I was, or more importantly who I was to her son's.
For Kaylen and Luka, I had to be strong and do this.
Finally the blonde woman wearing a huge pair of blow fly sunglasses stepped into the dining area, scanning the tables.
I stood from my seat, indicating without actually having to wave her down like an idiot, where I was.
She raised a hand to lift her sunnies off her face and wove her way through the assorted tables towards the one I'd snagged in the back corner.
"I have to admit I was shocked to hear from you, Bailey."
The woman whom Kylie told me isn't even yet thirty stated as she stopped at the other side of the cafe table.
Kaylen and Luka both have light brown hair, differing to us blonde Evans', which left me curious as to how, considering Debbie appeared to be blonde.
But on closer inspection, it became clear that Debbie's blonde came from a shop.
She was most likely naturally brunette and that's how Kaylen and Luka got light brown hair, her genes mixing with our Dad's genes.
She appeared to be an attractive woman, although at the moment she looked a bit stressed out.
Maybe that would mean she would appreciate the offer I planned to give her, because it would give her a chance to relax occasionally.
"How are you?"
I asked, attempting to break the silence.
"Run off my feet."
Debbie responded.
"I realise that on the phone I said I could have an hour or so, but I actually have to get to the shops, so I can give you about forty-five minutes."
Crap.
What if it takes me that long to find the courage to ask and convince her it's actually a good idea?
"Umm... let's sit then."
I suggested.
Debbie nodded.
I eased myself back into my chair and she pulled the one out across from me, sliding into it.
"H-how are Kaylen and Luka?"
I tentatively asked.
Debbie set her handbag onto the chair alongside the one she was sitting in.
"Full of energy. They're enjoying their sports, but they're becoming a handful at school these days."
Well, it's now or never.
"I know that until I moved here, I didn't get to have all that much to do with them."
I explained, twisting my hands together in my lap.
I swallowed nervously.
Now for the hard bit.
"But I'd really like to be able to spend some time with them."
Debbi looked visibly surprised.
She opened her mouth, but apparently no words would come out.

"Kellie!"
I called as I approached the girl whom had become my friend since my permanent arrival in Reef Bay.
I was leaving my satisfyingly positive meeting with Debbie, when I'd got several messenger messages from Kellie.
That she needed to talk.
She was sitting on a bench seat above the beach lookout, her knees tucked up to her chest, a pair of large sunglasses covering a large portion of her face.
Obviously hearing my voice, she turned her head.
"Are you okay?"
I asked, sliding myself onto the wooden bench seat.
"Please don't judge me!"
Kellie's voice rasped.
I frowned at her mostly hidden from my view face.
"Kellie, what's wrong?"
What could she have done that she was worried I might judge her over?
"You- you're not a virgin, right?"
Kellie stammered.
I frowned at her in bewilderment.
"No..."
Why would she need to know this?
"I slept with Chase!"
Kellie croaked.
She...?
I felt my eyes widen.
Kellie is trying to confide in you.
I did my best to compose my expression.
"You umm... your first time?"
I finally managed.
Kellie visibly grimaced as she nodded.
"With Chase and literally."
She whispered.
"Umm... are you guys like together or...?"
Once again she shook her head.
"I just decided to do it and..."
By the twisted expression that was on what I could see of her face, it was pretty clear what the issue was.
She regretted her choice.
"Umm..."
I didn't know what to say.
It seemed like people were choosing me to confide in when it came to their lost v-card though.
Kellie groaned, burying her face into her hands.
"I don't want to be a slut!"
It was on the tip of my tongue to inform her that I was pretty sure most people didn't actually want to be a slut.
My mind flashed back to Kaylee Button, a girl who had been my friend for the majority of my life.
She was thirteen when she had lost her virginity to her boyfriend who was seventeen.
They only lasted a few months after she gave in to him.
She was burnt with their breakup and she slept with a string of guys once she knew that Callan was sleeping around.
When she slept with Anaya's  then boyfriend Riley and my boyfriend Lachlan, in two consecutive weekends, when we were all fifteen, she burnt her bridge in being our friend.
There was always talk around our High School anoint who Kaylee was currently spreading her legs for, or that she'd had at least two abortions.
Maybe I couldn't exactly tell Kellie that people didn't choose to be Slutty...
"Sleeping with one guy does not make you a Slut, Kel."
I attempted to soothe her.
She pushed her sunglasses onto the top of her head and wiped fiercely at her tear stained eyes and cheeks.
"Even if my first time was technically a one night stand?"
"Chase likes you Kel."
I soothed.
Wait.
Was it Chase's fault she was feeling so wretched about this?
Kellie shook her head vigorously.
"I don't want a relationship with him."
Okay...
"Umm... is there a reason why?"
I asked carefully.
"I've seen too many relationships go bad. Plus, those boys don't do commitment."
She scowled.
Ouch.
It was like somebody sucker punched my heart.
Kellie's eyes went wide and she turned to face me.
"I'm sorry Bailey! I didn't mean it like that!"
I swallowed hard, but the words 'it's okay' tasted too bitter on my tongue.
I couldn't say them.
"Everyone knows Zander loves you."
Kellie rushed to try and amend what she'd said.
"I trust Zander."
I informed her.
"And I'm sure you should."
Kellie nodded quickly.
"I really didn't mean I was trying to say you had anything to worry about. I don't mean all the guys aren't capable. I've got grown up watching them... and especially in our teen years..."
I grimaced.
She was really digging herself in deeper, not making herself sound better.
I scooted myself to the edge of the bench seat.
"I have to get going Kellie."
"Bailey I'm sorry!"
She pleaded, setting her feet onto the brickwork floor.
I shot her a quick smile that no doubt came out as more of a grimace.
"Don't worry Kellie. I just have to go feed Phoenix and clean up his yard."
I explained.
She looked slightly pale as she nodded.
"Please don't hate me!"
She squeaked.
I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
"I don't hate you Kellie. You're entitled to your own opinion. I can promise you that what you said doesn't change my opinion of Zander, so there's no harm done."
Zander and I might have had our rocky moments in our not even yet three months of our relationship, but I was pretty confident in the fact that he truly did love me and wasn't out to hurt me.