Part Nineteen

I was equal parts excited but absolutely crapping my dacks.
It was Monday and Zander had been cleared to come to school until recess.
I was one hundred percent excited to have him coming to school with us, even if it was only for a third of the day.
But everybody was going to be asking him about the accident, his injuries and his recovery.
And he still struggles to get around these days.
"You ready?!"
Keegan's muffled voice sounded outside my room, coming down the hallway.
"Coming!"
I yelled back, grabbing my backpack up off the floor.
A glance at my phone showed me that it wasn't even yet eight thirty am.
What the?
Feeling a little bewildered, I yanked my bedroom door open and stepped out into the hall.
"It's a bit early isn't it?"
I asked, meeting up with Keegan.
"We gotta allow Zan a bit extra time Bails. Plus he has to go to Student Reception and show 'em his Doctor certificates so they don't try and tell 'im he's wagging when he leaves at recess."
Uh oh.
My nerves were returning in full swing.
Keegan stopped just before we reached the stairs and turned around to face me, a tense expression on his tanned face.
"Are you gonna be able to do this?"
He questioned.
"Coz he's gonna need us Bail's."
I swallowed nervously.
Was I going to be able to do this for Zander?
The students would be all over him.
He would be the focus of the day and probably even the week to come.
Well he's your boyfriend and you love him, so you've kind of got no choice but to support him.
"I've got his back."
I promised.
I'd just have to manage some way or another.
Keegan smiled.
"Atta girl."
He reached out to ruffle my hair.
It was lucky I wasn't a diva who spent an hour in front of the mirror just on her hair alone.
"Get out of it!"
I told him, pushing his hand away.
Laughing, Keegan turned around to head up the stairs.
"Brady! Codie! Let's go!"
He yelled as he neared the stop of the staircase.
Thundering feet sounded as I followed Keegan out of the top of the stairwell.

I tested the handle on Jade's front door and found that it was unlocked.
During the last week Jade had insisted I just let myself inside when I come over.
I'd done it a few times so far, but still felt rather like I was intruding.
Smell's of coffee and breakfast wafted in the air.
I breathed in deeply as I closed the door behind me.
"Zander! Are you ready?!"
Jade's voice came floating down from the back end of the house.
"Yeah!"
I smiled a little to myself as Zander's voice came from closer.
He must still be in the master bedroom.
I made my way towards the nearby door.
"Bailey and Keegan will be here in a minute!"
Jade's voice warned.
"I know!"
I cringed a little at the volume to Zander's voice as I stepped into the open master bedroom doorway.
Zander was sitting on the end of the queen sized bed, dressed in our school's dark green polo shirt and a pair of black board shorts.
I wasn't a hundred percent sure boardies were included in our uniform, but with his leg injury he probably couldn't exactly wear the rough fabric of jeans shorts.
"Hey."
I greeted.
His head snapped up.
Immediately a smile formed on his handsome face.
"Hey Babe."
He replied.
"How're you feeling?"
I asked, slowly entering Jade's room, which Zander was borrowing for a while as he recovered.
Zander pursed his lips and released a long breath.
Uh oh...
"I'm keen to get back to normal."
He admitted.
"But..."
He winced.
"We're here for you."
I promised, sinking to my knees in front of where he sat on the end of the bed.
"Keegan's in all your classes right? And I'm here for whatever you need."
I linked my hands with his and gave his hands a gentle squeeze.
He smiled softly, but unfortunately I could still see the unease lingering in his deep blue eyes.
"Thanks Bails."
He whispered.
"Zander!"
We both looked toward the open doorway at the sound of Jade's clicking heels.
"Keegan and Bailey are about to- oh! You're here."
Jade smiled when her gaze landed on mine.
"Yep."
I told her and pushed to my feet.
"Do you want me to get you at the start of recess or at the end, so you can catch up with your friends?"
Jade asked Zander, leaning sideways into the doorway.
Zander winced slightly.
"I honestly don't know."
"Well just let me know when you do know."
Jade straightened.
"I'll have my phone on me."
She promised.
Naww.
What a sweet lady!
"Thanks Mum."
Zander whispered.
"You need to get going or you'll be late."
Jade urged, stepping backwards into the front hallway.
"Good luck Baby."
I could see the unblanketed tenderness on Jade's beautiful face before she turned and headed down the hall, towards the living area of the house.
"Well I guess I got no choice now."
Zander muttered.
"You do have a choice."
I turned around to face him.
"If you don't think you can do it yet."
There would be no point in him forcing himself beyond his capabilities.
Zander lifted his eyes to meet mine.
"I don't have a choice. If I don't get back to school now I don't stand a chance at passing."
Shit.
I swallowed thickly.
"And like Keegan, I stand to be the first with the last name Hunter to finish year twelve."
He whispered.
I did my best to offer up a brave smile.
"Then let's get you to school!"
Zander arranged his crutches, gritted his teeth in preparation and managed to pull himself to his feet.