Part Forty One

Tuesday the 26th of July marked three weeks since the altercation with Alex and one week since I'd been home from the hospital, trying to figure out how to live in my new life.
It also happened to be the second Tuesday of the School Holiday's.
And I'd Missed celebrating Keegan and Zander's Birthday's.
Their eighteenth Birthday's at that.
Both of them had told me they'd celebrate their eighteenth's 'when I could see again'.
I'd told them not to be so stupid, because at this rate, I wouldn't be seeing again.
That meant because they're stubborn, they'd never celebrate their eighteenth's!
Though just before I'd been allowed to go home from the Hospital, a new Specialist had visited me.
The Doctor's had given me clearance to go home, because the swelling on my brain was gone and other than my lack of sight, there was nothing else medically keeping me in a bed, taking up space and using the Tax Payers' money.
Of course, the Hospital Staff we're insisting those were not the reasons I was being sent home.
They believed that because I was getting around reasonably well with Knox at my side, it would be better for me to get home and be in a familiar environment.
But the latest Specialist had decided to tell me, two days before my release date, that there was no longer any Scientific evidence to blame my blindness on.
He titled my case Psycho something or other (Doctor Speak I had no hopes of remembering) and deemed that something in my mind or my heart was keeping me in the darkness and I wasn't likely to be seeing the world I once knew again, until I conquered whatever hurdle it was that was holding me back.
The problem?
I had no bloody clue what it was that was the supposed 'hurdle'!
Any number of my Brother's we're attempting to help me work it out, throwing guesses out there whenever an idea struck.
A part of me thought that maybe I was missing Phoenix.
For the first time ever, it was three entire weeks and one excruciating day, since I'd seen my dear Golden Child, even just briefly enough for a checkover, cuddle and feed.
But, life was excellent wth Phoenix before the accident, so it surely couldn't be my bond with him causing the blindness.
The next logical idea, was my broken bond with Zander.
But, I wasn't about to try and rekindle things with him, purely for the hope I'd regain my sight.
That would be incredibly selfish, egotistical and evil.
And I couldn't do it to my own heart anyway, let alone his.
I wasn't really sure that was the case either, because barely two days would go by without said boy coming by to check in on me, even though I'd said time and time that I just wanted to be left alone.
So, if it was him that was holding me back, then I should by all means have my sight back, because I was seeing him often enough for my heart to understand that he does care.
Not that we were currently on quite the same 'emotional' level we once were...
But at least I knew that one way or another, he still cared about Me.
The same thumping noise, which I'd worked out to be Knox wagging his tail, hitting against the floor or the furniture he was laying against (which in this case happened to be my bed's mattress), alerted me to the fact that somebody had arrived.
"Why the long face honeybee?"
My heart practically stopped, then rebooted and seemed to beat at about three times it's normal pace.
"Amara?!"
I whispered, hardly believing my ear's.
I was really having to rely on memory these last few weeks, pinpointing a voice to a name.
But I should know my best friend's voice!

"Only of course."
The voice came again, sounding like it was coming closer.
My words seemed to get stuck in my throat.
Amara would have driven a long time to get here.
How could I just tell her to leave?
"Adorable Dog!"
She exclaimed.
Knox's tail wagged harder, indicating he clearly appreciated the compliment.
"And I know you said you didn't want visitors, but well I'm Amara and you're Bailey, so can you seriously expect I'd stay away?"
My best friend's voice sounded now a little to my right.
Despite my rather dark mood lately, I couldn't help but smile just a little, my resolve on sending her walking crumbling just a little bit.
"How are you?"
I questioned, even though I couldn't see her beautiful face.
I'd known Amara Kyle long enough to know she was beautiful on the beat or even the worst days.
"I'd be better if my best friend wasn't so damn miserable."
Amara replied, her voice coated in sincerity.
Typical Amara.
I fought the urge to roll my eyes.
"Why don't you tell me how you are considering you decided to show up without warning me, or getting permission? Not an answer based on my current situation."
I tried again.
"I'm good."
Amara told me.
"Unfortunately thanks to modelling I could only get here yesterday afternoon."
The disappointed sigh was audible in her voice.
Yesterday?
Where did she-?
"Where did you st-?"
I clamped my mouth shut and mentally face palmed.
She's dating my Brother.
My Brother whom happens to have moved out a little while ago.
She would have stayed with Heath.
"How is Heath?"
I asked her.
"I haven't heard from him in a couple days."
My Brother's swore against it, but I was pretty certain they were on a roster for checking in on me.
Heath had been MIA for the last day or so though, but now that I knew Amara was in town, I had an idea as to why...
"He's worried about you."
My mattress dipped slightly as Amara apparently joined me on my bed.
"Tell me something I don't know."
I muttered.
I have eight older Brother's and I know without a doubt that every one of them is worried about me and frustrated about the situation.
I just don't know if and what's happened to Alex yet...
"So what are we going to do today?"
Amara queried, nudging my shoulder.
Do?
I almost had to laugh!
"I don't do anything these days Mara."
I reminded her.
How could I do anything when I was in darkness that wouldn't let up?
"Well I'm here now and you've got that gorgeous Dog, so we are going to do something."
Amara insisted.
I knew Amara Kyle.
She sincerely believed the fresh open air and a good, deep belly laugh to be the best medicine possible.
"Like what?"
I queried hesitantly.
"Dunno."
Amara replied.
But I knew her well enough to know her mind was ticking away, conjuring up ideas.
I just hoped her 'plan' wouldn't wind up being too far outside my current comfort zone.
The 'Comfort Zone' that was basically staying inside my bedroom with Knox by my side...
Well, that was a slight lie.
I'm okay to mostly get around the house, only finding the stairs between my bedroom's floor and the kitchen's floor slightly challenging...