dazai osami; worth

lol this has no title XDD enjoy this scrap I wrote at 1 in the morning! It probably makes little to no sense haha

edit: MY APOLOGIES I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THIS WASN'T MUCH OF AN x READER UNTIL I RE READ IT. I may or may not have originally written this in the perspective of myself, because how can I resist Dazai? Nevertheless, it's fixed now.

太宰治

"I'm not worth it."
Her fingers trembled whilst generally whimsical [e/c] orbs filled with reluctant tears. "I-I'm not worth it!"
The entirety of the room had gone completely and utterly silent, even so that the melodious chirps of the birds had muffled themselves. She longed for a response from someone, one of them, whether it was to deny or to confirm her claim, she couldn't seem to care. How could they even consider risking their lives for her, for her cursed ability? How could he, the man she loved, throw himself into the crossfire without batting an eye at the consequences.

"Hm? What're you mumbling about now, idiot?" Where a flamboyant retort from Dazai should've been, only held a melancholy silence,  and although she ached to, the salty liquid spilling through her tear ducts was preventing her from examining the situation, from settling her intense anxiety.

"Y-you can't! I-I'm just a pathetic girl who doesn't even deserve the hospitality you have so graciously offered me. A-and from the depths of my frail heart, I am grateful to you and your company, but this is exceedingly too far. I admire you all too much to allow you to cast your lives away for such a useless... creature as I."
Her bold proclamation was met with the familiar sound of nothing, until the spell was broken by a jubilant laugh, one that sent shivers threaded with euphoria shuddering down her spine.

"Oh, my love! How amusing! You are aware that this is our JOB, correct?"
With one large step, he seemed to cross the entirety of the room, his large bandaged hands clasping hers in a manner so intimate, her heart leapt with anticipation and pure endearment.
"Even so, I'd still do it for you, don't you know?"

"D-Dazai?"
His eyes felt like the only thing she knew, and she was drowning in them, their honesty, affection, and comedic charm bombarding her like an immense tsunami. The [size] female was sure he felt it too, the desperation that lingered in her own orbs, but he managed to slink by it cleverly.

He seemed to have a brilliant remark prepared, but her abrupt hug interrupted his oncoming waterfall of words. Dazai's heat was so unbearably calming to her, and she basked in the sensation of it. It took only moments for him to respond, his embrace just as enthusiastic as her's.

"I'm just worried you'll get injured. I'm not worth your life."
He continued to stroke her [h/c], silky locks in reassurance, his sandy trench-coat billowing about them like a blanket, symbolic of their temporary protection from the universe.

"Bella Donna, my dear,"
With unending tenderness, he leaned down to grip her palm, whispering soft words, the result being a cascade of aqua light, her anxiety and nearly continuous head pain subsiding immediately, relaxing her nerves.

"H-how'd you know?"

"I always know."

"Please don't leave me."

"I'll come back, but I can't deny how flattering it is that you care for my well being this much!" His jab was ignored dutifully, and he released a subsequent sigh before tilting her head up into a loving smooch, long enough to sweep her in, yet merely short enough to leave her craving for more. Of course, this was intentional, as was the way of the ever joking Dazai.

"Are you done? Can we leave now?"

"Oh! I'm wounded, Kunikida-kun! We were having a touching moment over here!"

"Yeah yeah. Later. We've got to to get there soon enough to escort her home as well," he shuddered with disgust, "your home, I mean."

They left soon after, isolating the girl with her own thoughts and once again pounding head. Would he return?

She could only hope.