anchor, yuuichirou hyakuya

Love in a World of Destruction: An Essay by @mycatzero

 featuring: Yuuichirou Hyakuya and Reader

She caught the depths of his emerald eyes from the corner of hers. They were exploding pools amongst the scarlet entrails swimming around her. The corpses of children, her comrades, pooled around her like rose petals and she called out to him, his name stinging her taste buds with desperation.

He was at her side in seconds, kneeling in front of her collapsed form, sheathed sword tapping against the broken concrete.

"Are you okay?!" In a panicked frenzy, his gloved hands brushed down her figure in search of any abrasions or injuries. His head of void ebony lay merely a centimeter from her cherry blossom cheeks, softened by the conglomeration of sparkling tears gathering against her melted hues. He was so warm and good and safe; she couldn't withhold the grief piercing her soul.

"Yuu..." Her voice was drowning in melancholy, it's resonance barely touching his ears; his eyes shot up in concern, palms sliding to her shoulders.

"What's wrong?" He was strong, and she was weak; she cried, and he remained a pillar for her to lean on, a crutch for when the world weighed too heavily on her shoulders. He and his brave peridot hues were an anchor, and she loved him. 

A universe of honey crashed into an entity of emerald and the broken girl melted vicariously into his arms, gripping the wicked cloak around his torso in her quivering fingertips. Choking on her breath, she found his steady heartbeat lulling, her scattered thoughts quelling into one.

She loved him.

"They just-" The girl inhaled sharply, biting back vicious tears before continuing. "Well, they're dead. That's all." The rumbling in his throat and tightening of his grip alerted her of his anger, but the way he pulled back to rub drying tears from color coated cheeks informed her of his love.

"I promise I will avenge your squad. I will kill all the vampires for our families. For you." In a world brimming with chaos and endless destruction, love wasn't demonstrated through thoughtless words and meaningless tendencies, it was proved by unfailing loyalty, trust, and support for one another. A sniffle echoed in the space between them, but he didn't beg her to stop crying, he didn't insist she be happy, the boy just let his warmth seep into her soul, pulling her up to live another day, no matter how tiring it may be, at least they had each other.