EIGHT

CHAPTER 8 | FAMILY, DUTY, HONOR

BRAN missed his mother terribly

BRAN missed his mother terribly. He couldn't blame for her departure; he knew it was to save his family. But he also wanted her back. He didn't like that she left him in her time of need.

Maester Luwin laid out a map of Westeros in front of him and a book, teaching him his lessons for the day. Theon and Freya Greyjoy practiced their archery skills on a straw target. Freya had practiced so much that day that her arms were burning, so she stuck to holding the bag of arrows for her brother. She sat on the table where the maester and Bran spoke, listening in on their conversation.

"Straighten your back, Theon," Freya instructed to her brother. "That's why your missing the bullseye."

Theon, despite having to be taught by his sister, did as she commanded. He straightened his back and let the arrow fly. It immediately hit the bullseye, and Theon smiled her way as she handed him another arrow.

"Bran," Maester Luwin called, noticing the boy was distracted. He tapped his wooden pointer on the map in front of them.

Bran dug a silver fish mold into the table. "The Iron Islands," he said when the maester tapped to said place on the map. "Sigil – a kraken. Words – 'we do not sow.'"

Freya glanced over her shoulder at the young boy. "Very good, Bran."

Bran beamed at the compliment before Luwin asked, "Lords?"

"The Greyjoys."

Theon spun to face the maester and Bran. "Famed for their skills at archery, navigation and lovemaking." He chuckled at his own joke.

Freya frowned at her brother. "Can you – for once – not make a joke in that nature towards a young boy?"

Theon rolled his eyes and plucked another arrow from her bag. Luwin added, "And failed rebellions."

"Debatable," Freya muttered, causing Bran to laugh.

Maester Luwin tapped on another place. "Sigil – a stag – a crowned stag, now that Robert's king."

"Good," Luwin commented.

"Words – 'ours is the fury.' Lords – the Baratheons."

The maester nodded, watching Bran carve out a design into the table. He tapped the area of Lannisport. "The Westerlands. Sigil – a lion. Words – 'a Lannister always pays his debts.'"

"No," Luwin shook his head. "A common saying, but not their official motto."

Bran ignored him. "Lords – the Lannisters."

"We're still on their words."

"I don't know them."

Maester Luwin urged him forward. "You do know them. Think."