FIFTEEN

CHAPTER 15 | BATTLE OF THE GREEN FORK

FREYA slashed her sword through the exposed neck of a Lannister guard

She had rode into the battle on horseback, but her stallion was quickly shot down by Lannister forces. She would not be stopped, and the opposing side realized this when she commanded her men forward, charging into the battle on only her feet. To some, this was seen as suicide, but Freya had a gut feeling that she knew what she was doing.

This battle was nothing like she expected. Her childhood training prepared her, but nothing compared to the blood that was spilled on the West bank of the Green Fork. They had three thousand men against them, including several members from the hill tribes of the Vale. Freya knew her army of two thousand were bound to lose, but that was to be expected. She needed to at least come out this battle alive. The hill tribesmen performed well, but Freya killed many, because of their lack of armor.

Tywin Lannister watched the fight on his horse from a small hill above. His eyes followed the female leader of the army, as he was surprised not to see Robb Stark in her place. When asked of her identity, a scout confirmed, "She is Lady Freya of House Greyjoy. Legitimized bastard daughter of Balon Greyjoy and first to claim his salt throne upon his death."

Tywin lofted a brow, surprised at the feat. He had heard stories of the rebellious Freya Greyjoy, especially when both she and her brother became wards to the Starks. To see her fighting and slaying most of his army was a shock. A woman – shouting and commanding battle – was a sight for sore eyes.

Minutes escalated, and soon Freya realized that more than half of her army were gone. They were defeated, but not all dead. This was the outcome she was to expect, though it still hurt to see good soldiers were lost. If there was anything she knew from her father, it was to know when to walk away from a fight, and this was that time.

Freya swung her sword one last time into a Lannister soldier, a crushing blow that sent him to the ground. She stomped her armored boot on his chest plate and caused him to heave for air each time. She kicked off his helmet easily, stabbing her sword through his jugular and tearing it out just as quickly.

She lifted her hand, shouting over the cries, "STARK FORCES! RETREAT!"

Freya plucked an abandoned and rotted bow from the ground, and shot into a lone opposing soldier. He was sent tumbling into the mud, and Freya sprinted up on his horse. She rapped on the reins, riding it out and away from the battle. She hollered to her soldiers to follow, but only a handful heard her calls. The rest were left for dead.

Mud and dirt formed a crust on her skin, but she rode. Blood masked her armor and face, but she rode. Her dirty and bloodied sword hung loose in it's sheath, but she rode. Freya's breath was uneven and tried, but she still rode.

It was around this time that Tywin Lannister noticed that the battle was a feint. Robb Stark only sent two thousand men led by Lady Freya Greyjoy against the main Lannister host, slipping the rest around the Lannister force to instead attack Jaime Lannister's forces and he ultimately won that battle. Despite Tywin winning the battle on the Green Fork, the defeat of Jaime's army at the Battle of the Whispering Wood and the River Lords joining Robb's forces left Tywin's forces outflanked. His only choice was to retreat his army to Harrenhal.