SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER 17 | THE KING

ROBB held a large gathering in the woods next to their camp

ROBB held a large gathering in the woods next to their camp. Lanterns were lit all around them, creating a dim atmosphere. The Northern lords sat at their assigned seats, each holding a tall glass of beer in celebration. A few banner men stood to the side as well. Freya was content in sitting beside her brother, chugging some of their free grog to forget this day ever happened.

A debate was happening before them. One of the famous Northern lords stood, pacing as he announced, "The proper course is clear: pledge fealty to King Renly and move South to join our forces with his."

Since learning of Ned's death, they all had to decide on a course of action. Planning the future was imminent when there was no legitimate lord in Winterfell. Robb shook his head as he shouted back, "Renly is not the King!"

"You cannot mean to hold to Joffrey, my Lord! He put your father to death!"

Robb lifted his head. "That doesn't make Renly King."

Freya looked to Catelyn sitting next to Robb, before her eyes rested on the boy in question. Their gazes connected: hers full of confusion and his laced with anger.

"He's Robert's youngest brother," Robb continued. "If Bran can't be Lord of Winterfell before me, Renly can't be King before Stannis."

Theon nodded as the Northern lord argued. "Do you mean to declare us for Stannis?"

Another lord shouted, "Renly is not right!"

The Greyjoy siblings raised their glasses to that statement as Lord Umber tried to settle the chaos. "My Lords," he said, "Here is what I say to these two Kings –" Greatjon hocked up spit onto the ground. "Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine from some flowery seat in the South? What do they know of the Wall or the Wolfswood? Even their Gods are wrong!"

The crowd laughed heartily, even Robb.

"Why shouldn't we rule ourselves again? It was the Dragons we bowed to, and now the Dragons are dead!" Greatjon unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Robb. "There sits the only King I mean to bend my knee to ... the King in the North!"

Robb paused as he watched Lord Umber kneel before him. Theon glanced at his sister's shocked face, and then watched as her jug of ale slipped from her fingers and onto the dirt.

Another Northern lord rose from his seat. "I'll have peace on those terms. They can keep their Red Castle, and their Iron Chair too." He, too, pulled out his sword. "The King in the North!"

Freya's eyes went wide when Theon stood up with a grin. "Am I your brother, now and always?" He asked Robb.

"Now and always," Robb replied.