TWENTY FIVE

CHAPTER 25 | ACTING WITH HONOR

BY the time night had rolled around, Robb had convinced Catelyn to somehow accept the marriage

BY the time night had rolled around, Robb had convinced Catelyn to somehow accept the marriage. They now needed the rest of Westeros to agree, and it was only a matter of time before Freya's father heard of the news. But he still had one more problem, and that was to deal with Freya's anger with him. She sat on the edge of their bed, gnawing at her nails as he arrived in their tent.

Robb sat down, on the other side, and pulled off his armor. He threw his cloak off his shoulders and asked, "Is there a reason why you're not speaking to me?"

"Yes," Freya whispered, playing with the ends of her night gown.

He sighed, walking forward and in front of his wife. Robb stared down at her until she met his eyes. "What is it then?"

Freya stood, thrusting her hand out and hitting Robb's shoulder. "What the fuck is the matter with you?" She furrowed her brow. "Do you realize what you ordered tonight? You ordered the execution of my brother, and your brother now by marriage. I will not stand for this, Stark."

"You said this wasn't a real marriage."

"Well," she seethed, "it's real now. You can't execute Theon."

Robb narrowed his eyes. "I can and I will."

Freya rubbed at her eyes and sat back on the mattress. "Robb," she whispered, "you can't. I'm begging you." When she looked back up at him, she had tears in her eyes. "Don't make me rebel against you. I want to protect Bran and Rickon just as much as you do, but Theon is my brother."

Robb didn't answer. Freya stood again, looking at him with sad eyes.

"As much as we both don't want to admit it," she continued, hesitating before placing her hand on his cheek, "I am your wife now. I will fight wars alongside you. I will battle our enemies. I will run to the ends of the earth for the people we love. And I will do whatever I can to protect my family. This goes for both your family and mine. We are in this together now."

He nodded slowly, and for one of the first times, Robb brought her in for a hug. Freya didn't push him away this time, and instead accepted the hug. She rested her head inside the crook of his chest, while his hand rubbed the back of her head. They didn't say anything, and truthfully, they didn't need to.

And for a moment, Freya finally felt content.

•••

They had won yet another victory at the Battle of the Yellow Fork. The Stark army in the Westerlands continued to move West the day after, and soon found camp. The next day, they attacked a force of House Lannister at the Yellow Fork, who were accompanied by House Westerling. Robb and Freya commanded their army, despite their differences from their past argument, and won a decisive victory. Their encampment was now seated beside the river of Yellow Fork and North of Ashemark.