TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER 26 | JUSTICE FOR THE KARSTARKS

FREYA had told Selene of Robb's plans to execute Theon, despite her protests

FREYA had told Selene of Robb's plans to execute Theon, despite her protests. "I requested him to at least have me speak with my brother," she had explained, "but I don't know." That was all she needed to say for now, but as Freya was leaving her tent, she could have sworn she saw a twinkle of a tear in Selene's eye. She dared not to look, in fear that she'd begin doing the same.

Robb left Freya in charge of the camp while he visited the Crag to negotiate surrendering terms with House Westerling. She knew he was taking a small amount of banner men and Talisa with him, but something about that was eating her up inside. It was all just ... odd. Everything had changed since they agreed to be married, and she knew this when she received a letter from her father.

The guard had handed it to her when she woke the next morning, and Robb was nowhere to be found, meaning he had already left for the Crag. Her father wrote to her in disgust, per usual. He said he would never accept the marriage, and he knew it was to rebel against him. I'll never forgive you for this, he wrote. You're letting the enemy control you. Don't you dare try to use your name to retrieve ships without my permission. And the letter went on and on, much to Freya's despair.

She was planning on getting herself together later, but she was surprised when her guard exclaimed, "There's a riot on the common ground, Your Grace. The Kingslayer killed Alton Lannister and Torrhen Karstark!"

Freya immediately tugged on her riding boots and pulled her cloak around her night gown. She sprinted forth into the camp, watching crowds of men huddled up as her own guards tried to push them out of the way for her. A Stark banner man yanked Jaime Lannister by a chain through the camp and shoved him to the ground. "KILL THE KINGSLAYER!" They chanted. "JUSTICE FOR THE KARSTARKS!"

Freya watched the men beat him into the mud with bats and strike him cold. Lord Karstark and his men marched forward, their swords out. "Get back! I want his head!" He ordered. "Any man who stands between a father and his vengeance asks for death!"

Freya didn't need her guards to move for her. She shoved banner men out of the way so she could stand before the circle of men, with Lady Catelyn and Brienne of Tarth by her side. "LORD KARSTARK!" She screeched at the top of her lungs, silencing the rioting crowd around her. "What the fuck is the meaning of this?!"

"The Kingslayer killed Torrhen!" He screamed, pointing his sword at the fallen Jaime. "If you have any ounce of pride that I know you to have, Your Grace, you will allow me to kill him."

Catelyn put out her hand. "Lord Karstark, this man is our prisoner."

"This monster killed my son."

"And crippled mine," Catelyn added. "He will answer for his crimes. I promise you, but not here."

The wind blew Lord Karstark's frizzy, white hair around his face. "I will have his head, and if you lot try to stop me –"

"YOU WILL WHAT?!" Freya shouted, stepping closer to the lord. He was taller, yes, but she was not afraid of him in the slightest. "Will you kill us?! Have you forgotten, Ser?" She pointed to Lady Stark beside her. "This is the widow of your liege, Lord Eddard Stark. She is the mother of your King. And I ..."

Freya paused, watching the men around her stare with judgmental eyes. She lifted her head higher. "I am your Queen, Lord Karstark." She spat, venom laced in her tone. "And if you as much lay a finger on me, or Lady Catelyn, I will pull out my sword myself and strike you down. Don't you dare try to threaten me, my Lord."

Lord Karstark's face went red. "Where is our King now?!"

"You know very well!" Lady Stark argued. "He has gone to the Crag to accept the surrender!"

"Aye, gone to the Crag, but not to negotiate." Kartstark thundered back. "He brought that foreign bitch with him."

Freya's eyes went wide. "HOW DARE YOU –"

Brienne's hand went for her sword. "Threatening my Lady and Queen Freya is an act of treason!"

"Treason!" Lord Karstark felt like laughing. "How can it be treason to kill Lannisters?"

"I understand your grief, my Lord. Better than most, I understand it." Catelyn began to say, in a calm manner. "But in the name of my son, the King in the North, stand down."

Lord Karstark's eyes narrowed, and he paused to collect himself. "When your son returns, I will demand this murderer's head."

"Wise men do not make demands of Kings," Freya advised, wrapping her cloak tighter around herself.

"Fathers who love their love their sons do." Karstark looked to Freya, nodding his head in her direction. "I do not take orders from women. I will have his head."

Freya's eyes blazed with fury, and though she did not have her sword on her, she still had her small blade that she always kept in her cloak. She quickly struck her hand out that held the blade, her vision set on the Lord in front of her. "No," she seethed, "but you will take them from your Queen."

The two continued to stare at each other for another long moment, but finally, Lord Karstark and his men marched off. He let out an angry groan, kicking the dirt as he walked away. Freya silently stored her blade back in her cloak and moved her hair out of her face.

"Thank you for fighting on my behalf, Lady Stark and Queen Freya." Jaime said, holding up his shackles. "I would have come to your defense, but –"

Catelyn turned and ordered, "Take him to the stockades! Bind him with every chain you can find!"

Jaime scoffed as he was pulled up from the ground by Stark banner men. "You've become a real she-wolf in your later years, Lady Stark. There's not much fish left in you."

Freya kicked dirt in the Lannister's direction. "And gag him!"

•••

As the day went on, the army only became more and more violent with each other. Some sided with Lady Stark, while some were with Lord Karstark. Rain poured down that night, but Catelyn, Freya, Brienne, and Lady Stark's handmaiden still watched a group of men fight with each other over the issue. Freya was now dressed in proper attire, but the biting cold of the storm still left her freezing. She watched the arguing men with shame in her eyes.

"Your husband returns at dawn, Queen Freya?" Brienne asked.

Freya nodded, "Precisely."

"The Kingslayer won't last the night. The more they drink, the angrier they'll get." The female knight observed. "And when the Karstarks draw their swords ... Who wants to die defending a Lannister?"

"You'd be surprised," Freya frowned.

Catelyn glanced to the ladies beside her. "Come, Brienne, Laila. I must speak with the Kingslayer, or your words might come true."

Freya moved out of the way so the three could walk off, and then she cast her eyes to the banner men again, who were now rolling on the ground. They fought with each other, hissing disgusting words that they wouldn't have said a day prior. Freya shook her head. Jaime Lannister would never live for tomorrow.