THIRTY THREE

CHAPTER 33 | THE KING AND QUEEN WHO LOST THE NORTH

FREYA was crying.

The guards had requested to meet with their leaders for a "dire situation," but neither Robb or Freya could prepare themselves for this. Their guards laid the bodies of Willem Lannister, Martyn Lannister, and Selene in front of them, all spread out on a thin sheet. Both Lannisters were stabbed in the gut, while Selene's throat was cut with splotches of dried blood crusting over the surface. The handmaiden's eyes were glazed, yet the brightness of hazel still shined, along with her dark hair.

Freya kneeled at the sight of her handmaiden – no, her friend. She had always complained that Selene treated her like a child, but she was truly a mother to her. She had been with Freya for a good part of her childhood, and she was the mother that she needed. They stuck together through thick and thin – hell, Selene even risked going to war with Freya to stand beside her. She was more than a handmaiden or a friend; Selene had been a mother.

Hot, wet tears flowed from Freya's eyes. She screamed when she saw her handmaiden's corpse, so loud that her voice cracked. She hit her fists against the wood of the great hall in Riverrun, not minding that her robe was slowly slipping down her body. This was unjust; this was unfair. Freya's sobs drowned out the room, so much that the Blackfish and Edmure had to look away.

Robb pulled his wife upwards, and she quickly clutched herself against his body. Her tears stained the leather of his shirt, but he paid no mind. He wrapped an arm around her back and kissed her forehead. Robb finally looked up to his uncle, ordering, "Bring them in."

The Blackfish opened a large door, and in walked Lord Karstark and some of his kin. Freya slowly turned to meet the lord's eyes with fury. She rubbed at her eyes, but the frown on her lips never ceased.

"Of course, it was you," Freya spat, pulling herself away from Robb. "Have you realized what you've done?! You killed my handmaiden and long-time friend!" Her teeth ground in frustration. "You will d –"

Robb laid a hand on his wife's shoulders, and their eyes connected for a brief moment. Freya's mouth shut as he asked, "Is that all of them?" Robb received no answer, and he continued, "It took five of you to murder two unarmed squires and a handmaiden?"

Freya rubbed at the edge of her nose.

Lord Karstark lifted his head. "Not murder, Your Grace." He said in a grave voice. "Vengeance."

"Those boys didn't kill your sons," Freya snarled, her brow knitting together. "And neither did my handmaiden, but it's not like you gave a shit about that."

Robb added, "I saw Harrion die on the battlefield, and Torrhen –"

"– Was strangled by the Kingslayer." Karstark looked down. "They were his kin."