FORTY

CHAPTER 40 | UNTIL THE END OF MY DAYS

TENTS were set up for encampment in the field

TENTS were set up for encampment in the field. Freya, in her long, olive-colored dress that she pulled on for the wedding, watched soldiers fight amongst each other playfully. She wore a chest plate underneath her dress and gloves, which Robb found incredibly ridiculous, but she wasn't one to care.

Two men pushed against each other, using their strength to knock one another down. Freya jumped and clapped her hands, though this act made her remember how Selene would've scorned her for enjoying such a scene. More memories came, and she realized this was something her and Theon would do as children.

One of the men shoved the other into the mud, and he patted his hairy chest. The crowd around them cheered loudly, including Freya. Said man laughed and gestured to her, shouting, "Even our Queen approves of me more than you!"

Freya chuckled, covering her hand over her mouth. The crowd lifted the goblets in their hands. Freya continued to enjoy the fight until a hand was laid on her shoulder. She turned, realizing that it was Roose Bolton. He gave her a grim expression and gestured for her to follow him.

"The wedding is about to begin, Your Grace." He said to her as they left. "Wouldn't want you to be late."

The screams didn't drown out as Freya left the fight. Lord Bolton's hand never left her shoulder as he led her away. Freya looked behind her, remembering each and every man's face. She didn't understand why she did it, but she did. Her stomach was churning; something didn't set right, and she wasn't sure if it was Roose's hand still on her or something else.

Freya stared ahead then, and swallowed her pride.

•••

Various lanterns were lit around the great hall at the Crossing. Freya looked around from her spot beside her husband, but her attention diverted to Lord Frey when he arrived, guiding the bride inside. Those with House Frey stood to their right, while House Stark remained on the left of the hall. A septon stood at the altar with Edmure, who looked painfully anxious. He sighed and stared at his feet for a moment.

The bride latched on Walder Frey as they walked down the aisle, due to a heavy veil covering her vision. Freya caught Roose Bolton staring at her as she turned, and even Robb met Walder's old eyes while he passed. Freya turned back to the altar and scrunched up her nose.

Walder and the bride stopped before Edmure. Lord Frey slowly stood in front of the bride and pulled her veil off her head, setting it on her shoulders. Edmure was then blinking at the woman in front of him. Her crème-colored silk dress paired delightfully with her blue eyes, and the lace on her shoulder provided a fabric differentiation. Her brown hair was wrapped in two braids at the top, and formed in long, flowing strands at the bottom. She had a particular doe-like face, Freya noticed, and she was incredibly stunning.

The woman knelt in front of Edmure. She hesitated, collecting herself for a moment. "Lord Edmure," she bowed her head, "I hope I'm not a disappointment to you."

Edmure was smiling, which was a shock to just about everyone. He lifted the bride to her feet, staring into her small eyes as if she were some type of goddess. "You're a delight to me, my Lady," he replied with a giddy expression.

She smiled softly. The septon instructed, "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection."

Edmure nodded and shrugged off his cloak. He went behind his soon-to-be wife and placed the cloak on her shoulders. It was a long, velvet cloak, colored turquoise with an embroidered fish on the back.

Robb and Freya glanced to Walder Frey, who was giving them a surprised eye roll. His expression practically said, Look what you could have had. Robb blinked and turned ahead, while Freya gave Walder a glare. Edmure stared at Catelyn gleefully, almost in utter shock that he had gotten so lucky to marry a pretty Frey girl.

Edmure moved to stand beside his bride once again. They gave each other a smile, and as his hand touched her own, Edmure swore he felt goose bumps. He was so undoubtedly happy, and while he wanted to believe this woman next to him felt the same, he felt that her expression was almost worried. She didn't have to worry about him. Edmure would give her the world.

They laid their hands over each other, with the bride's dainty hand on top of Edmure's large one. The septon began to wrap a thin piece of cloth on their hands while reciting, "In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity." He wrapped the cloth about three times. "Look upon each other and say the words."

Edmure and his bride turned to face each other. He sighed in gratitude, as she lifted her eyes to his own. They repeated together: "Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger ..."

A shiver went up Freya's spine. This was not the religion she had grown up with, but she had learned of the Seven Heavens and Hells during her teachings. Although, there was something about the Faith of the Seven that scared her.

"I am hers ..."

"I am his ..."

"And she is mine ..."

"And he is mine ..."

Robb looked to Freya, seeing all the days they used to fight and argue with each other. In her eyes, he saw the hate they once held for each other. Robb saw everyday they shared with one another in her eyes, and though they once started with them acting immaturely, he wouldn't trade the memories for anything. Robb remembered that this day would've been his wedding, but he was happy with his decisions. He didn't mind that he had married Freya out of vengeance, because what they had now was a bond and partnership that could never be broken, except by death. Even then, they would be together for eternity.

Freya noticed that he was staring at her, and she glanced over, sending him a warm smile. She laced her fingers with his own. His hand felt cold compared to hers.

"From this day," the couple finished, "until the end of my days."

The room erupted in applause. Edmure was staring at his wife in joy. Catelyn and Robb beamed as they clapped for him, but dear Freya was silently still. Again, she had a gnawing feeling. Something wasn't right in the air; something was dreadfully wrong.

Gods, did she wish that she listened to her own mind.

•••

A/N: I MANAGED TO FIND SERVICE ON MY TRIP SO SURPRISE NEW CHAPTER