Half A Heart PT2

"Karma!" I hear his voice but I can't open my eyes. Water falls lightly on me, slowly soaking my clothes. "Karma please open your eyes." He cries but I still don't have the energy to move. My chest hurts, is there something resting on it? I give up on trying to form the energy to move, I'd rather lay here in the darkness.

-

"He's fine, he just needs to sleep... Really... Can I change his clothes?" The mans voice is soft, kind. I don't recognise it at all. "No! Don't touch him! I'll do it.." Nagisa's yells at this man, Nagi isn't even strong enough to lift himself never mind me. Then someone pulls me upright by my arms, getting a sharp pain through my chest and I can't help but cry out. "Karma! Are you awake? I'm so sorry I didn't mean to hurt you!" Is he crying? No.. Why is he crying?

Taking a deep breath I force my eyes open but everything is blurry. A rotten smell hits me, but i can smell Nagisa faintly through it. "Nagi?" My throat is dry. "Yes, I'm here. Are you okay?" Nagisa's hand grips mine and finally he comes into focus. His beautiful face stained with blood and mud, the fresh tears roll down his cheeks leaving clean marks. I sit up straight and wince at my pain then lean my tired body against the wall. "I'm okay.. But where are we?" I look around the room; broken floorboards and ripped wallpaper, a table and two faces I don't recognise.

"You don't remember? They saved us out by the river.." The man walks towards me and woman smiles. "I'm Ryouta, you can stay as long as you like and that lovely lady is Miki, my wife. Karma before you ask anymore questions we need to check your wounds and change your clothes, okay?" Ryouta smiles, he must be in his early thirties, his black hair combed back and his kind green eyes hold so much sadness.

"My wounds..?" I don't fully understand but my chest and leg are a little tender though. "Yes, Karma, you were in a fight.. You must have hit your head too. I'm a- I was a doctor, so let me see?" Ryouta smiles faintly before turning around to Miki. "Hon, can you give us a minute?" He says to her, she gets up from the only chair in the room. "I'll prepare food. Nagisa would you help?" Miki's hand rests on Nagisa's shoulder, her brown eyes peering down at him. Nagisa looks at Miki and then back to me as if debating which path is best. "Its okay." I tell him, Nagisa leans down and kisses my forehead and his then leaves.

His lips where only on my forehead for a second but I can still feel them there.  So warm and soft. "How do you feel?" Ryouta snaps me back to reality. "I feel okay. What's the big deal?" I lie, I feel rough but I don't want to worry them. "Karma... Your leg. Talk me through what you feel." My leg.. It hurts, from my hip to my knee and the rest is numb. "Its sore a little. But the bottom half is numb." Ryouta sighs and a look of discomfort disrupts his features.

"That's to be expected. I'm sorry.." Ryouta tears the blanket from my legs, I gag, the smell is disgusting in here, then I gasp when I see my leg completely shocked by what I see. The skin that's not covered in blood stained bandages is a mixture of colours, black to blue. ".. What.. Tell me what happened out there!!" I yell. Ryouta places his hands on my shoulders and looks me straight in my eyes.

"Listen. You and Nagisa were sleeping out by the river, it was early morning. Miki decided to go get some herbs growing by the edge when she saw you. She came running back here yelling to me about you.. But that apparently caught something's attention. A young phantom had been passing by and heard her. We raced down to the river and yelled at you to wake up. You did and you saw the phantom leaning over Nagisa. It was like someone flicked a switch inside you.. You jumped up and grabbed the phantoms cloak. Swinging it on the grass. You then repeatedly kicked its face disabling it for a short time. But then.. You froze and it took advantage.. Every punch and kick you threw, it blocked. By the time it was coming to an end you were exhausted. We told Nagisa to cross the river and come to us, Nagisa made it over safely but it caught you, grabbing your arm and pulling you into the air quite high only to drop you and fly off."