Lets Get Coffee?

Sometimes I wish I was like other men, confident and popular. You know the type of man that can walk down a street and girls fall over themselves trying to get a look, the type that gets tons of women's phone numbers as easy as blinking or even the type who goes on meaningless dates just for the hell of it?

I crave to be like them, to easily fit in with the rest of the world. But the truth is, i will never be like those men because I'm gay. Its not as if I want to like other men, I just do and its not something I can just change. Believe me I've tried.

I want people to see me on the street and instead of saying their venomous words like "he's disgusting" or "disgraceful", I want them to see me for who I actually am. I'm a kind person with a good job, i devote all my spare time to helping out at the children's hospital.. But why is it only my sexuality that matters? I want them to say "he's done well in life" or even "he's alright" would suffice.

The problem with my small town is that everyone knows everyone's business and in places like this you can never escape reality.

I spend most of my time at the children's ward, putting on fun shows and such as for them. It's my favourite place to go to because I'm never judged by the kids, I go to make their days better when in fact its them who makes me feel like I'm worth something.

"Nagisa?" Chi's small voice pulls me out of my thoughts. Chi is 13, she was abused at home to an awful amount. Her parents started a fire and locked her in her room, thankfully the firefighters got there just in time but she did suffer very bad burns down the entire right side of her body. She sits up in her hospital bed with worried eyes. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks, my problem is just a spec of dust compared to hers. "ChiChi~" I tease, she really hates it when I call her like a dog. "On second thought you can deal with it on your own." She lies back down and turns her back to me.

I laugh because I know she's only pretending to huff. "Guess I'll keep this manga for myself.." I hold out the latest volume of Seraph Of The End. This gets her back to normal and she sits back up and holds her hand out for the manga. "You're the best!" She squeals and gets stuck into reading it, before she couldn't read on her own because it was too hard with one hand but now she's started using her right arm again.

I decide to go and get a drink, I'm waiting at the machine when a man on crutches looses his balance and falls against the wall. I quickly help him back up and then I see his face; this man is breathtakingly handsome. His red hair sweeps back from his face and falls perfectly, his eyes are a shade I can't say a colour to, just an orange-red but much lighter than the shade of his red hair.

He smiles at me and I swear my heart stops. The curve of his lips and how it meets his eyes to his perfect white teeth.. This man is perfection.

One thought flashes through my mind; this one can't run away.

"Thank you for that." He says and straightens himself upright. He starts to hobble off and something in me just clicks. "Wait, do you want to get a coffee?" The words are out of my mouth before I even realise it, I quickly clamp my mouth shut before I say anything else. "Uh... I have to go visit someone now. How about later?" I blink a couple times before answering, this can't be real. "Sure! When and where?" I say cheerfully. "Meet me out front at 8ish." He smiles again and continues on his journey.

It doesn't take long for reality to hit me though, he was probably just saying to meet him when the chances are that I'll never see him again. I shouldn't get my hopes up just yet, but if he does meet me it could lead to good things.. As if a man like that is gay. He looks like he only has to click his fingers and the girls would be lining up around the block.. but I can hope, right?

I sigh and return to the ward, Chi's curtain is pulled shut so I talk to Ren. "Hi Ren, how are you today?" I ask him. Ren is only 7 years old and is fighting cancer with a huge grin on his face, the very definition of brave. I respect these kids so much, people can learn a lot from every one of them. "I'm good! Can you read me a story?" He beams, he doesn't like to talk much but he loves stories.

"Of course we can, I brought us a new adventure to go on today!" I take the 'Peter Pan' book out of my bag and sit down beside him. I tilt the book towards Ren so he can see the pictures and start to read, using a different voice for each character.

It's only when I've finished the story that I notice a pair of eyes on me, its the guy from earlier. My eyes switch to Chi who's fast asleep next to him. He was visiting her..? I didn't know Chi had other family. "Hello again." I say quietly. The redhead waves back at me. I watch as he leans down and kisses Chi's left cheek.

"Who's this?" He says when he's worked his way over to Ren's bed. "This is Ren." I tell him and he smiles at Ren. "Hi Ren, I'm Karma. Did you like the story?" Ah, so Karma is his name. His name actually suits him a lot. "Yes! I did!" Little Ren grins at Karma. "Have you heard the story about the Beast?" Karma asks him, of course I've already read Beauty and the Beast to him. "Yeah but too much love yuck!" Ren's face looks like he just ate a lemon and I can't help but laugh at him.

Karma talks to Ren for a little while longer and I gather my things. "Its that time, huh?" Karma voice is right behind me and for a second I'm startled. "W-what time?" I stutter my words outs. "For our... Da-Coffee?" Was he about to say date? No way, I must be hearing things. "Oh yeah, sure." I smile at him. "I'm Nagisa by the way." I add and start walking towards the door. "Karma."

~~

"They're closed?" I sigh as we get to the cafe Karma was saying does the best coffee, the lights aren't on and the sign was flipped to 'close'. Karma insisted that we go to this place, i had to drive all the way across town for it and its closed? Its well after 9pm now so its no surprise. "Kinda." Karma states and holds out a bunch of keys. Is this his place? Wow. "Can you get the door, this key." He hands me the key and I open the door and hold it open for Karma.

"Do you own this?" I ask, he doesn't look like a barista in the slightest. "Mm, no. My aunt is out of town for a while so I'm just staying here and checking in on the cafe. There's an apartment upstairs so instead of making a mess down here, we'll just have coffee up there." He answers. I pause, he wants to take me upstairs? I don't even know this man so its probably not the best idea to be alone with him.

"Maybe i should leave..." My voice is faint but he hears it, he can tell I'm starting to doubt my situation. "What's wrong?" He asks and turns himself directly to me. "Are you thinking I could hurt you? Hm?" A slow smile spreads across his face and his eyes seem to glow, its unlike the expressions he's made before.. He looks dangerous.

Karma reaches out and grasps my neck roughly, i try to jerk away but he tightens his grip. Unable to move or say anything I wonder why my heart is beating so hard, is it fear? Excitement? I don't know myself. So when he says his next sentence all I can do I nod in agreement.

"Do you want to find out?"

_______❤

Please read next page.

Also I think I'll end this book soon, should I?

-L