Chapter 1

Nan's POV

Beep, beep, beep, beep.

Some people find the alarm clock annoying, as a sign that you must finally get out of bed and onto more boring things. I, on the other hand, have never been bothered by alarm clocks. As I reached over to shut of the alarm, I try to think of what day it is.

Today's Monday! I mentally scream.

I've always been a morning person. I'm not sure why, but the idea of a brand new day excites me. It's a brand new chance to help people, to learn new things and to have fun. I get to see my bestie Mina and others at school. The work's not too bad and I can also hang out with Nick more.

My friends Mina and Jared so obviously have a thing for each other. It's been that way ever since he showed up at school, and they haven't done anything about it yet. Who knows, maybe something will come up today. Maybe they'll finally get together and go to the movies tonight or something!

As I walk over to my huge walk-in closet, I think about how much my mom and step dad spoil me to bits. I honestly don't need lots of stuff and grand shebangs to be happy. I would be perfectly fine with less, and I don't judge people who have less. In fact, Mina used to live in a teeny tiny flat above a Chinese restaurant that always reeked of raw meat and oils. It wasn't the best, but I got to spend time with her and I was okay with that.

I picked out a pink top and white capri's to wear today. Mina had been through a lot lately, and I don't think I understood most of it. The worst had started two weeks ago. She came to me in the middle of the school day with her eyes wide and brown hair disheveled slightly, asking about her younger brother who I had babysat the previous night. He was perfectly fine and in no sign of danger that I could tell, but she acted as if his life had nearly been taken.

Jared hadn't shown up to school for a week after that and when he did finally show up, he stuck with Mina constantly, which I found weird. He seemed quite paranoid for the next couple of days, though he eventually went back to a more normal, carefree spirit, which I had always admired about him.

After changing, I headed downstairs towards the kitchen to make breakfast. I was surprised when I got there to see my mom already down there fully awake and cooking breakfast for the both of us.

"Hey honey!" my called to me. "Cute outfit you're wearing."

"Morning." She hands me a plate of steaming eggs and grits. "And thanks."

"You're hair looks longer today. Has it been that long for a while?" Mom is a very busy business woman. It wouldn't surprise me that she hasn't noticed my hair.

"Same length it usually is." I reply. I sit down at the kitchen table and shovel the eggs and grits into my mouth. After I finish cleaning my plate, I wipe my mouth with a napkin and go upstairs to my bathroom.

I brush my teeth and put on just a little make up. When I take my comb to brush my hair it continues on longer than it did yesterday. What? I finish brushing my hair and look it in the mirror. I shriek.

My hair is four inches longer than it was last night.