Chapter 4

Nix's POV

Fortunately the five of us got to hang out before school. I'm so glad we got here early. Mina and Jared were flirting with each other and Brody was trying to talk to me, but you could see he was really jealous of Jared. I was talking with Nan, and to be honest... trying not to stare. She was gorgeous and her laugh made people want to smile along with her.

I felt like I was in a trance, until Nan broke it.

"Mina, can you come over here so I can ask you something?" Nan asked turning towards her.

"Sure." Mina replied. As she walked over to Nan, I went over to Jared. I just realized that Brody wasn't here anymore. Poor guy probably felt like a fifth wheel.

"So what do you think they're planning Nix?" Jared asks me. Jared and Mina are the only ones who know my real name is Nix, since only they know about Faes and the Fae plane. Mina is smiling staring over at us while Nan whispers excitedly into her ear.

"I'm not really sure, but I think we should be a little scared." I say and Jared chuckles.

When the girls walk over to us they both have smirks on their faces.

"Watch out," Jared whispers to me, "it's never good when they smile like that."

"Soo," Nan says as she approaches, "we were wondering if- dramatic pause- you guys would like to go on a mini vacation with us in a couple of weeks." There was silence. "Well?"

"Okay one," Jared finally answered, "did you really just say 'dramatic pause?'"

"Yep," she replied. Jared rolled his eyes and I had to contain a laugh.

"Okay. And two I personally would like more information before I say I'm going to some random place with you."

"Well Nan over here," Mina pipes up while inclining her head, "has a step-father that owns a log cabin on the side of a mountain. Hardly any of the terrain is inclined however, because a large section has been flattened out into a meadow."

"And being the nice guy that he is, he said that Mina, a couple other friends and I could go there for a week." Nan finishes.

A week with Nan in a mountain meadow. This almost sounds too good to be true. I would be able to hang out with Nan all day long for a whole week. Oh yeah, and the others too.

Before anyone can answer the bell signaling death- oops I mean the school bell- rings. I guess we'll have to further discuss this vacation later today-- though I doubt there'd be anything about it that would make me say no.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swim practice is Mondays through Thursdays right after school, and of course is always my favorite part of the day. After changing in the locker room, I head to the pool and dive right in.

My love for the water carried over into this plane. Brody swims over to me when I finally come up for air.

"Hey coach said that we'll play a scrimmage game of water polo tomorrow and that today is a free day kind of practice. Wanna race?" Brody seriously thinks that he can beat me. I contemplate letting him win for once, but that's really hard when you were literally born swimming. The most time I've spent on land has been these past two weeks going to this high school and participating in what they consider normal activities.

"Sure, if you want," I reply to him. I'm really glad that Brody so willingly accepting me to be his friend. When I starting coming here with Mina and Jared, they were the only people I knew-- and I barely even knew them then. I remember showing up at water polo practice and almost accidentally going into the girl's locker room. It was really embarrassing, but Brody didn't try to make a big deal about it and he led me in the right direction. We'd been hanging out since then.

Brody and I raced all through practice and although he got really close a couple of times, I still won all of the races. Like I said, it's really hard to not swim fast when I was actually born in the water and lived there my whole life. Brody made up for loosing by fighting and messing around with me in the water.

It was another great day today.