Chapter 8

Mina's POV

There wasn't very much excitement to the party after Nan and Nix's 7 minutes in heaven. By all means I'm not saying that it was bad or boring, just not as exciting as the first three truth or dares.

But speaking about Nan and Nix's 7 minutes in heaven.... are they sitting closer together? They're both leaning back on the hand closer together and I think they might be linked behind their backs. Whoa. Maybe something really did happen during those 7 minutes.

"Hey you guys," Nan starts, "I don't know if someone is playing a trick on me or not, but my hair has been growing super long, super fast and it's kinda starting to freak me out. So please tell me if this is a prank."

As soon as she says that a tingle shoots through my body, causing me to shudder. I stand up to rush over to Nan and make it there after tripping a couple times. Sure enough, even with her sitting on the ground her flowing golden hair reaches the floor and lays in a pool at the base of her back. My stomach drops. I reach out to stretch the hair to its full length and fall backwards as another tingle shakes my core.

At first I'm looking at the ceiling, and then Jared's stormy grey eyes full of concern fill my vision.

"Did you feel that too?" He asks so quietly that only I can here. All I can do as a response is nod my head.

"What's wrong? Is she ok?" Nan asks from her position behind Jared.

"I guess something's going on with her," Jared says choosing words carefully, for he cannot lie. "She probably needs to get home, so I can just take her now."

"Are you sure you don't want us to ride with you?" Nan questions.

"Nah, I should be ok." Jared scoops me up, with one arm in the crook of my knees and the other supporting my head. He walks through Nan's front door and places me in the passenger seat of his car.

Though I am clearly fine, I don't move or speak until we are a little ways away from Nan's house.

"What was that all about?" I question Jared.

"I guess I should be asking you the same thing," he replies.

"I just felt a tingle of a quest when Nan was talking and when I touched her hair, the tingle became a burst. You didn't have to completely remove me from the party," I say.

"Well I knew we needed to talk about this next quest," Jared says, "and you know that we can't talk in front of them." The car turns down an unfamiliar dirt road.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"We're on an adventure!" He sarcastically replies in a British accent.

"Very funny. Now really, where are we going?"

"We're going to the lake where I had tried to train you in the very beginning. It's secluded, peaceful and the scenery is nice. Perfect place to mask a murder."

"EXCUSE ME?"

"What?" His eyes twinkle mischievously, "Never said whose murder."

"No murder!" I say, "Jared you're being creepy!"

"Fine," he huffs, "but this is the same lake. It's a safe place to talk about such dealings as him," he spoke the word as if it were acid and I knew who he was talking about.

The Story.

The Quest Giver.

Jared's Own Brother.

Teague.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jared and I have been at the lake for a while now and had just finished discussing this new Quest. We're still not sure what role I play in it, or why I personally haven't seen any signs of it. Just Nan.

Obviously the story is Rapunzel and Nan is the lead. The other characters haven't seem to come into play yet...

"I just don't understand." I told him, "it's not like Nan has been locked in a tower by a witch or something."

"I don't know," he replied, "we just have to wait and see."

After we had discussed all that we could, I flopped down on the green grass. He laid down beside me. We sat there for a while until he quickly sat up and looked at me. I sat up too.

"What?" I ask him. His entrancing eyes are fixed on mine and I can't help but stare back.

"Just looking at you," he replies, "trying to figure you out."

"And what exactly are you trying to figure out?"

"I'm not sure. You always seem to mystify me, no matter how much I know. You have such an amazing personality and you're--" he suddenly stopped and dropped his eyes to the ground.

Curious as to why he stopped I asked him, "And I'm what?"

For a little while he just sat there. Then, taking a deep breath he stated, "And you're beautiful." His eyes flicked back up to look directly into mine. I gasped at seeing how many raw emotions were in them.

I suddenly realized how close we were together. His eyes lowered to my lips and I felt a rush a heat to my cheeks. We lean towards each other, not touching but very close. My thoughts raced back to the last time we had kissed, the first and only time we had kissed.

"You're not too bad yourself," I smirk. He closes the gap. It's a wonderful thing, being able to have the one and only person you love.

All other thoughts seem to disappear instantly. All I can think about is Jared, Jared. When we eventually pull away, I am shocked to see that sometime during that kiss, we had shifted positions to where I'm now sitting on his lap sideways, my torso turned towards him, and my hands in his hair. One of his hands is on the small of my back, the other on my side due to the awkward angle we are positioned at.

"You don't know how long I've wanted and waited to do that again," he says.

"I've been a little impatient myself," I reply. He smiles and I feel my heart melt a little. We sit there talking for a few more minutes before Jared says that I should probably be getting home. We decide that he's going to come pick me up tomorrow and we will come back here to have a picnic. I can't help but be excited.

When we arrive at the front of my still new mansion house, he walks me to the front door and pulls me into an embrace. He pulls back and rests our foreheads together.

"Just remember to be careful and watch closely for any signs," he says.

"Don't worry Jared, you know I will." I smile and he kisses my cheek.

"See you tomorrow Mina!" he calls as he gets into his car and drives away. I feel that the grin I currently have is going to crack my face from it's size. Oh well. I tell myself. I can't help it if I'm happy.

And I'm happy because of Jared.