Chapter 11

Jared's POV

I'm driving. Fast.

The faster I drive, the faster I get to see Mina. I smile at the thought of her. I chose to drive the motorcycle today to take us to our picnic by the lake.

I like the sleek blackness and the open air better than a closed up car. And it also means that if I go fast enough, Mina has to hold on. I'm a slightly horrible person, but whatever.

I make it to the gate in front of her house and don't bother to be called in. I just use my Fae magic and zoom through them. I prop the bike on the kickstand and walk to the front door.

I take a deep breath.

Ding dong.

"Just a minute!" I hear Mina call from somewhere in the house. I laugh. She was never that good about being on time. I wait. And wait. Probably 5 minutes later the door opens to Mina's mom.

"Oh, hello Mrs. Grimm," I say trying to be respectful.

"Hi Jared. Please, come in. And you know to just call me Sara. Mina should be down shortly. I'm sorry she left you out there so long."

"Oh, she's fine. Good things are worth waiting for." Wait, what? I drop my eyes to the ground and feel heat rising to my face.

"Aw, young love. Well I hate to leave you by yourself here but I must be getting back to helping Charlie with a project for school. Mina should be down any minute now. Have fun!" Sara walks away and turns down a hallway. And I'm left waiting again. This time though, it's not even a full minute.

"I'm here! I'm coming, I'm coming!" Mina calls and she rushes around the corner at the top of the stairs. My breath catches in my throat. She looks absolutely stunning. She stopped at the top of the stairs and was staring back at me, with her intent brown eyes.

"Whoa," she says finding her voice first. "You look incredibly good." Me look good? Oh please, I'm in a leather jacket and jeans. The whole cliché bad boy look.

She looked beyond beautiful. She was wearing a summery halter dress filled with different shades of blue and green that made her skin a shade tanner. Her hair was half up, half down and looked as if she had tried and failed to curl it. Which just made it wavy. Which just made it gorgeous.

As she started her descent she had a smile like the sun. When she got a little closer the edges turned down and now she was blushing while staring at the ground. I still couldn't find my voice.

"If I look that bad, I can go change," she said in a small voice. With my throat still frozen, I simply stepped forward.

I lifted her chin with my fingers to make our eyes meet. I hear her suck in a breath. Taking her hand, I bend down in a bow to kiss the top of it. I straighten up and pull her into a tight hug.

"I would be lying if I said I've seen anything more beautiful," I whisper into her ear. I pull back and notice her avoiding eye contact with me. I reach for her hand as I pull her towards the front door. "Now come on, I do believe we have a picnic for two to attend."

When we get outside, her eyes widen at the sight of my motorcycle.

"How am I supposed to ride that in a dress?" she half-shouts at me. I laugh.

"The same way as if you were in pants," I reply. I hand her a helmet and we both pull ours over our heads.

"Ugh! Fine! But you get on first," she says, clearly annoyed with me. Oh well. She'll just have to deal with it. I easily slide onto the black bike and kick up the stand.