Chapter 3

Jill's POV

As I stared at the new girl in front of the class, I noticed that she was wearing long sleeves and jeans. It was summer and the weather's still hot therefore I can't understand why the need to wear such long shirt. I looked around and most of the students were wearing either short sleeves or sleeveless. Even Mr. Parker's wearing a short sleeves polo. Even my hoodie's short sleeves.

The teacher introduced her to us. It was also weird that he did all the talking. Usually, the new students will introduce themselves and tell anything about themselves but this was different. "Samantha Johanson or Sam". I heard him introduced us. Such a beautiful name. He looked at the sitting arrangement and the only vacant seat was the one on my right. Great! I thought. "Sam, you may take you seat next to Jill." The new girl just nodded and sat beside me.

I felt my heart skipped a beat as she approaches me. It got faster when she politely nodded at my direction. I felt my blood came rushing to my face. I was blushing and i never blush. I just nodded in return and bowed my head and pretended to read our book.

"Jill, please share your book with Sam as she doesn't have hers." Mr. Parker stated. I just nodded again as I felt my tongue got stuck on my throat. I can't seemed to utter any words. It also suddenly felt hotter than before as I can feel my sweat all over my body. "Now let's continue our lesson... " Mr.Parker added as I scooted closer to Sam in order for her to see the content of my book.

Finally! The bell rang that indicated the end of the first period. But as I packed my stuff Mr.Parker called Sam and I.

"Anything I can do for you Mr.Parker?" I asked.

Before Mr. Parker answered me, he told Sam to wait outside. "Not for me Jill but for Sam." I can sense the seriousness on his tone. "As one of the model students here..." I mentally celebrated as he complimented me. "Our principal made arrangements for you and Sam to be in the same class. " I frowned in confusion and he must have sensed it. "Let me get to the point." He added. "Sam is special. She can't speak."

"So she's mute." I clarified.

Mr. Parker shook his head and I got confused even more. Where the hell was this conversation getting into. So before my brain overloaded, I just listened.

"She's not mute. She just can't speak. She had a terrible accident that prevented her from speaking."

"So it was psychological?" I asked.

"I do not know the details. But the point here is... the principal wanted you to be her friend. She's gone through a lot and the last thing we wanted was for her to get bullied. So please be her friend." I can see the sincerity in his eyes. He does really cared for his students that's why he was such a great teacher.

"Don't worry Mr. Parker... I already planned to be her friend in the first place. Thank you for explaining her condition." After that, he dismissed me and I led Sam to our next class.