Chapter 12

Sam's POV

When I felt Jill squeezed back my hand, I thought she regained consciousness. I slightly tugged her hand but she didn't respond. Maybe it was just my wishful thinking.

I wiped the tears that fell from my eyes but they won't stop. When I closed my eyes, I was brought back to that tragic day when my parents were taken away from me.

People screamed in fear. Panic ruled the room as those robbers spread chaos. My mother and I went to visit father for lunch. It was my birthday. My mom cooked and we brought it to dad. They even let me skipped school.

We were eating and happily chatting in my dad's office when suddenly, there's a commotion outside. My dad went out to check for it but next thing I knew, there was a gun pointed at his head.

"Open the safe." The man in the masked ordered.

Fearing for our lives, my father obediently oblige. "Ok. Please... just put the gun away." He pleaded as he held his hands up in surrender.

He was then taken away from the room towards the vault. One of the robbers saw us and motioned us to lay on the ground which my mother and I did as he watched us.

I was scared for my life and for my family. They have taken away my dad. I hoped and prayed that no harm shall come to him. I was already shaking in fear but a warm hand on my back soothed me. It was my mother. She was trying to be strong for us. It helped me calm down a bit.

After several years which in reality was only just several minutes, we heard a gunshot. My mother and I both screamed in terror. I also heard the screams of the people outside.

Suddenly, another man in the burst into the room. "Time to go!" He said and they both ran. After a few more seconds, we heard the police. Mom suddenly stood up with me in tow and ran towards the vault.

We both fell on our knees as our mouth agape as we saw my father with a bullet in the head.

I witnessed when they took his body and put it in a body bag. As soon as my father was taken away, I saw my mother suddenly clenched her chest and passed out. She was then taken into the hospital.

My tears won't stop flowing. My little body was not able to handle the situation therefore I fainted. I woke up next in the hospital. There was a nurse tending to me that time. She was very nice and comforting but as soon as reality struck in, my tears came flowing back. She told me my father was dead and my mother had a heart attack and fell into coma. I kindly asked her to take me to her and she gladly granted my request.

It was then that I found out that my mother had a heart condition. Now I knew why my father was very protective of her. She was not allow to do any strenuous activities nor lift heavy objects. I was a father's girl because it was him who always carry me. After two days in a coma, my mother followed my father. Days after that, I buried my parents leaving me alone in the world. And from that day, I stopped talking. I stopped crying. And I stopped feeling anything.

My father had a good insurance policy but I can only get when I reach 18. The social workers that handled me though I needed emotional help so they sent me in an institution.

I was brought back to reality when someone opened the door. It was Jack. He saw me crying so he offered the nearby chair and helped me to sit. He also gave me a hanky to clean my face.

"Would you like to stay and watch her?" He asked and I nodded yes. I saw complete sincerity in his voice. I felt his love for his twin. He was really such a good man.

"I'll tell them that you'll be staying instead of me." He said with a smile. I smiled back. It was then I realized that he had such a cute dimples. "I'll ask for a blanket for you." And with that, he left the room.

I concentrated back at watching Jill, hoping for any signs that she was ok. The next thing I knew, my warm pillow moved. I felt my neck stiffen. I must have fallen asleep. Then I remember that I used Jill's hands as a pillow. So of my pillow moved, then she was awake! And I was correct, because as I opened my eyes, I was staring directly at her deep brown eyes.

She must have seen my concern as well as relief. I opened my eyes to ask her how she feels but as expected... nothing came out. "I'm okay." She told me. She must read my thoughts. "Go back to sleep. It's still early." She smiled at her and closed her eyes.

It was then for the first time in many years that I smiled.