Chapter 4

Sam's POV

After Jill had spoken to Mr. Parker, Jill led us to our next class which was Math. I love math... it's interesting... Every problem's unique and needed analytical thinking.

Because Mr. Parker held us a little longer than expected, we were late for class. However, Jill managed to handle Mrs. Cooper well. She must have been a great student to be able to gain the trust of the teachers. Again, I was introduced and told to be seated. Unfortunately, the only vacant seats were on the front by the window and on the middle back... it means I'll have to sit far from Jill.

"You can sit on the front... I'll sit at the back." Jill said as she led me to my desk. I silently prayed that the student sitting next to me would not bother me as I do not want to offend her by not talking.

As I sat on the chair, I noticed that the teacher has written a problem on the board. I already mentally solved it. The question was very easy for me. I looked at my seat-mate and saw that she was reading an SMS. I looked away as I do not wan't to attract the teacher's attention and that may got us both in trouble.

The bell rang again and as l was about to go, the girl with blonde hair that has pink highlights stopped me.

"Hey... I'm Mia... Jill's best friend." She held her hand which I took and shook. I opened my mouth and tried to speak but nothing came out. "You don't have to say anything... Jill already SMS me your condition." I sighed in relief but bowed in embarrassment. Maybe going to school was really such a bad idea.

"I see you two have officially met. So Mia see you at lunch. Come on Sam, let's get into next class." Jill said and again led me to the other class.

Same introduction happened during third and fourth period. Then finally lunch time. Jill led me to a table where two guys and two girls sat. I remembered one of them being Mia, Jill's best friend but I haven't seen the other three. They were not in the same class as us but one looked like Jill.

"Here Sam... I want you to meet my friends and twin brother." She told me as we walked on the table. So I was right... the other guy was her brother.

"Guys! This is Sam!" Jill introduced. "Sam... this is Jack my twin, also the school's quarterback and this is Peter, Jack's best friend and the captain on the Soccer Team. And you remember Mia... my best friend and also the head cheer leader. And this girl is Nica, she's the captain of the Swim club." After she finished introducing her friends we sat and proceed to eat our lunch. She also explained my situation to them which they understood.

"So... do we need to learn sign language to communicate with you?" Peter asked. I was about to open my notebook to write but Jill answered him.

"Dude... she's not deaf... nor mute... she just can't speak." Wow! Jill was really smart. "If you need to tell her or ask her something... you just need to talk to her."

"Then how will she answer?" Peter responded.

"She can nod 'yes' or 'no' or point or write... come on men... don't complicate things." I noticed Peter blushed in embarrassment. I felt bad for him because it was not his fault. Maybe I should just drop out and home school. I'm a genius anyway... I can just get a certification and degree. The atmosphere in the table had become thick and awkward and I knew it was my fault for being different.

"So Sam... do you have any plans this weekend?" Jill asked and I just shook my head 'no'.

"Great! Then you can join us! We planned to go to the beach last summer but since Mia's been away the whole summer, we just had to postpone it." Great! Beach! Yey! I sarcastically thought. I knew my aunt's going to let me join them. She will just say that it's good for me. It was in fact the doctor's recommendation that I need to go out and try to have 'fun'.
I felt defeated and just nodded 'yes'.

The bell rang and after the last period, Jill and her friends bade me farewell. Fortunately or unfortunately we all have the same last class which was Science.

I saw my aunt at the gate as Jill and the others went to their own practices. And speaking of practices... I never got a chance to find out what sport Jill played. Her friends and brother were all captain of their respected clubs. My heart suddenly beat faster as I came into a realization... why am I so interested in Jill. Ever since before nor after the accident... I never have been interested in anyone at all. I took a deep breath and walked towards my aunt.