Chapter 9

Jill's POV

When I became conscious, all I heard were little voices. I knew I was already awake but all I can see was darkness. And then I realized that my eyes were still closed. I tried to open them but they were heavy. Just trying to open my eyes made me exhausted so I gave up and just concentrated on my surroundings.

First I used nose, and by the smell of it, I can tell that I'm in a hospital. Goodness! I hated hospital... oh wait.., I don't hate hospitals in general but I'm just afraid of needles! Oh yeah... go on... laugh at me.

Then I concentrated on the voices around me. They were trying to minimized their voices but they were sure failing at it.

"When do you think she's gonna wake up?" I heard a familiar voice... it was Mia.

"Mom said she's got minor concussion. She should wake up soon." Jack... my twin. I must have been taken to the hospital where my mom works. Well in case you were wondering... my mom's a doctor.

"When's your father's coming?" It was Nica this time.

"He should be here anytime soon." Oh... my poor parents... I must have given them a fright again. Well you see... since I was a child, I'm kind of dare devil. I must have broken every bone in my body. But I haven't been in a hospital for quite some time now... Jeez.... "He was visiting a site up north... It was a least two hours drive from here and based on rush hour and traffic..." My brother paused a little. "... anyways he should be here soon."

It was then that I felt someone squeezed my hand. The hand felt warm and soft. It also fits perfectly on my palm. As if it was meant to hold me. And then the was door opened. I wonder who was it.

"Mom!" My twin said.

"I came here to check on her. Any sign of progress?" My mother asked. I don't know what she was doing but I sensed that she was checking on my chart and whatever machines that were sure connected to my body.

"Hello dear... I believe we haven't formally met yet. Are you my daughter's new friend?" My mother asked. And I felt another squeezed on my hands.

"Mom... This is Sam. A new student in out school. She's the niece of Ms. Rogers."

Sam... Sam's safe! I'm so relieved! So she's the girl that Ms. Roger's was talking about the other day. She lived three houses from mine... and was a nice lady. She never got married for the reason that no one knew.

"Oh... hello! Nice to meet you Sam." My mother... as friendly as ever. "Dear? Are you okay? Don't worry about her, she's a fighter and she's been worse." My mother assured her. She must have been wondering why Sam hadn't answered anything.

"Mom..." My twin... savior of the day. "Sam can't talk... so..."

"Oh..."

"Don't worry she can hear you... she just can't talk."

"I understand. I'll go ahead and check other patients. You guys should go home." My mother told them. "Sam... She's gonna be okay."

"Okay Aunt Julie... please keep us updated." Mia said. We have been friends for a long time therefore Mia and Nica were like a daughters for my parents.

"Jack! Keep us posted yah!" Nica said. And I heard the door shut and felt their presence gone. However, Sam was still holding my hands.

"I'll give you few minutes with her. You should go and rest too." Jack paused. "It's not your fault Sam." Jack then left.

I felt that Sam's squeezed were getting heavier. It was just like she's telling me to wake up. Well... I'm already conscious but somehow my I still can't move any parts of my body. Hell! I can't even open my eyes. I tried again but I was failing miserably. Just trying made me exhausted. I guess I needed to sleep again to help my body recuperate. But just as I was about to fall into complete oblivion... I felt her shaking and then felt warm droplets on my arm. It was Sam... she was crying.