Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

It is the year 2000 and Josie Jacobs has just graduated collage at NYU and is moving back to the small Georgia town where she grew up to begin her new job at the hospital. She develops a relationship with Daryl Dixon, a local outcast with a bad reputation. She quickly learns that caring about a Dixon is very difficult.

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters Daryl Dixon and Merle Dixon. AMC and the creators of THE WALKING DEAD do.

WARNING: There is some bad language and adult content.

This is my first Wattpad story. ENJOY!

Chapter 1 - The Road Home

Dear Diary:

I FINALLY GRADUATED! I am moving back to my hometown in Georgia tomorrow. I am really going to miss New York. L My dad has helped me get a job at the local hospital in Atlanta, where he works as a surgeon. I will be working as an ER Doctor. The worst part is that I will be living with my parents until I can get my own place. I am finally finished packing and will be leaving very early in the morning to make the 13 hour drive from New York to Georgia. Goodnight!

-Josie

THE NEXT DAY

I've been driving all day when I finally reach the small town where I grew up. When I left for New York 7 years ago, I never thought I would ever come back. I pull into the gas station to grab a bottle of water before I head to my parent's house. As I am standing in line to pay I hear...

"JOSIE", a loud highpitched girly voice says, "OH MY GOD!"

I turn around to see my cousin, Alli, smiling her big, red lipped smile at me. She wraps her boney, pale arms around my neck.

"It has been forever since I saw you last", she says.

I put on my best fake smile and hug her back while flatly responding, "Yeah, it has."

I quickly pay for my water and wave to Alli before quickly rushing out the door before she can say anything else. I got into my blue 2000 Mustang and begin the 15 minute drive to the large, white house on the other side of town where I spent the first 20 years of my life. While I am driving, I think about how close me and Alli were when we were little girls.

*Josie's Flashback*

"COME ON JOSIE", a six year old Alli yells while running out of the backdoor, jumping off the porch, then running across the backyard towards the tire hanging from the huge oak tree, her long curly red hair flying in every direction in the breeze.

"COMING", a seven year old Josie yells back while darting across the yard, her long braided brown hair gently hitting her back as she ran.

We were like sisters, Alli's mom died in a car wreck when she was three years old. Her dad couldn't handle taking care of her by himself, so he dropped her off with our grandmother and never came back. Our moms were sisters, so my mom helped Nannie raise her. We were complete opposites in every way. I was always tall, thin, with straight brown hair and big blue eyes. I've always been the quiet, shy, good girl type. Alli was short, chubby, with curly red hair and narrow green eyes. She has always been loud, outgoing, rebellious type. We were best friends until 9th grade, when I joined the cheerleading squad and became popular. Alli was a loner until she met Merle Dixon. She started doing drugs, drinking, and partying almost every night. She began skipping school until she finally dropped out.

My parent's house comes into view, pulling me out of my memories.

I pull into my parent's driveway and shut off my car. I glance at myself in the rearview mirror and sigh. My big blue eyes are bloodshot from lack of sleep the night before and the long hours of driving, my long brown hair is in a messy bun with a few loose strands framing my face, and my tan flawless skin is looking paler than usual without any makeup on it. I grab my bags from the front passenger seat before walking up the front porch steps, stopping infront of the large red door. Before I can open the door, my mom flings it open, pulling me into the large foyer, and wrapping me into a hug.