Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 9- This One's Gonna Hurt You

Dear Diary:

I'm so tired of guys and drama. I tried apologizing to Daryl and he just blew up at me. Derek hasn't called me since our last date, not that I care. The only thing that bothers me is that Daryl is mad at me. Why can't I keep from pissing him off. I miss him.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

I am currently at the hunting store with Alli watching her trying to decide on a birthday present for Merle. How did I let her talk me into this? Derek is currently standing behind the counter staring at me. It's sorta creeping me out. I go to the back of the store in an attempt to get out of Derek's line of sight.

I'm looking at the camping equipment hanging on the wall when I sense someone behind me.

"Ready", Alli asks.

"Yeah", I say before following her to the register. I can see a huge grin spread across Derek's face as we reach the counter.

"Is this all you need", he asks Alli while eyeing me from the corner of his eye.

"Yeah", she smiles.

After she pays, Alli walks to the door with me close behind. Before I reach the door I hear, "Josie?"

I stop and turn around to find Derek standing right in front of me. "Yeah", I ask.

He stands there with a big cheesy grin on his face, "Would you like to go to see the movie that they are showing at the park Saturday night?"

I put on my best fake smile and respond, "sure."

"I'll pick you up at 6 p.m., maybe we can grab some dinner before we go", he says.

"Ok, see you Saturday", I say before walking outside, being met by the warm Georgia sun.

SATURDAY

I am sitting in a booth in the back of the diner with Derek. He's been very sweet so far. We've finished our meal and are now just sitting here having some coffee while we get to know each other better. We actually have a lot in common, I'm starting to really like him. I had only gone out with him for the hell of it, since Daryl isn't interested in me. After we finish our coffee, Derek pays the check and we walk hand in hand to his truck. He opens my door for me before climbing in behind the wheel and driving to the park.

We pull into the parking lot to see it is already crowded. I guess everyone in this small town came to see this movie. The park looks like a drive in. There is a large movie screen set up in the middle of the open field, they even have the concession stand open. The field is covered with blankets and people waiting for the movie to begin. Derek pulls a large soft blue wool blanket out of his truck bed before taking my hand and leading me to a spot in the grass that is kind of away from the crowd. We spread the blanket out and sit down next to each other. While we wait for the movie to begin, Derek tells me one of his college stories, by the time the movie began, we were both laughing.

1 MONTH LATER

It has been a month since my date with Derek. We have seen each other everyday since that night. We are officially dating now.He has been a complete gentleman towards me, we haven't even done more than kissed. I haven't spoken to Daryl, but Alli says he has been away camping for the last 3 weeks. I'm on my lunchbreak right now, so I'm going to go surprise Derek.

I walk into the hunting store and smile as soon as I see Derek helping a customer. He glances over, smiles saying, "Give me a minute", before returning his attention back to the elderly lady. I decide to look around while I wait. I come around the corner into the gun aisle to find Daryl standing infront of a display of shotguns. He glances in my direction for a second before returning it to the gun that he was looking at.

I slowly walk over to him, stopping next to him. He doesn't aknowledge my presence.

"I'm sorry, Daryl", I whisper, "I want us to be friends."

He just shakes his head scoffing, "Wha' ever."

I sigh before trying again, "Will you atleast except my apology, please?"

Daryl turns towards me so he is now looking right at me. We look at each other, not making direct eye contact. "Yea", is all he says before walking to the front of the store and out the front door. I turn around to see Derek looking at me. He just stands there for a second, anger showing in his eyes, before wrapping his strong hand around my wrist. "Don't you ever talk to that redneck trash again", he spats in my face. His grip tightens when I attempt to pull out of his grasp.

"Derek, you're hurting me", I say with tears welling up in my eyes, "Daryl is not redneck trash."

Derek's grasp doesn't loosen as we stare into each others eyes. Derek is breathing heavily while his eyes are glossed over with rage. When he sees the fear showing in my eyes, he lets go of my wrist and tightly wraps his arms around my waist. "I'm so sorry baby", he cries in my hair, "I'm just so afraid of losing you."

"I have to get back to work", I whisper. Derek steps back and watches as I quickly disappear out the door.

Once outside I spot Daryl leaning against the tailgate of his truck and a cigarette between his lips. I watch as he throws the cigarette to the ground, stomps it out while glaring at me. I go to walk by him to get to my car when I and stopped by a strong dirty hand wrapping around my wrist. The pain shoots up from the pressure on the already sore wrist.

I glare at him,"What?"

"Wha' ya' with tha' douchebag", he spats.

"None of your damn business", I spat back,"Why do you care anyway?"

"I care", he mumbles as I pull my wrist out of his grasp and brush past him to my car.

"Fuckin' bitch", I hear him say as I get in my car and drive back to work. I can see Daryl glaring at my car from my rearview mirror.