Dirt Road Diary

Chapter 40- Goodbye Girl

Dear Diary:

Last night was amazing! I fall more in love with this sexy ass redneck everyday. I still can't believe he's mine. I'm ready to start a family with him,  I just don't know if he is. I'll bring it up tomorrow over his favorite dinner.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

RING RING RING

The sound of the phone ringing pulls me out of my deep sleep. I slowly open my eyes, looking at the clock on my nightstand.  3:00a.m. SHIT! Who the hell is calling in the middle of the night?

RING RING RING

Daryl's arm tightens around my waist, his soft snores continue to fill the room. 

"Hello", I say softly into the phone, sleep thick in my voice.

"Josie...baby", the woman sobs on the other end.

"Mom", I reply, quickly sitting up,"What's wrong? "

"It's Alli and Merle", she sobs, "They've been in a wreck. "

"Oh my God", I reply, "Where are they? Are they okay? What happened?"

"They're in the hospital", my mom whispers, trying to pull herself together.

"Daryl and I will be there as soon as possible", I tell her.

"Okay, be careful. I can't handle my baby getting in an accident too", mom replies.

"We will", I say," Love you."

"Love you too", mom says before ending the call.

"Daryl", I say, panic clear in my voice.

All I get is a loud snore in response.

"DARYL", I yell causing him to bolt up.

"We gotta go to the hospital", I say while pulling on black yoga pants, bra, and white t-shirt.

"Wha'? Why?", Daryl asks, sleep thick in his voice,  confusion and panic written on his face.

"Alli and Merle have been in a wreck", I reply while pulling on my gray "Nike" tennis shoes.

Daryl jumps up, pulls on the jeans and shirt he wore to the bar that are laying on the floor beside the bed.

I quickly pull my hair into a messy ponytail while Daryl pulls on his dirty brown work boots. We quickly rush out the door,  Daryl grabbing his keys and wallet on the way out.

The ride to the hospital is silent.  Silent tears roll down my red cheeks as I stare out the passenger window,  watching the dark world fly by.

A warm, calloused hand squeezing my cool, shaking hand causes me to look down at my lap then up to meet a pair of "Dixon" blues that are filled with worry, fear, and sadness.

I slide to the middle of the bench seat,  never releasing the tight grip on my husband's hand.  His expressionless face is looking at the road, his glossy eyes show everything he is feeling.

I lay my head on his shoulder while silent tears continue to flow, soaking Daryl's cloth covered shoulder.

We pull into the hospital and quickly make our way inside.

My mom is standing in the waiting area, her arms wrapped around my dad's waist, his large arms around her tiny waist while she sobs into his chest.

I quickly make my way to them, immediately joining in a family hug while Daryl stands back, shifting uncomfortably on his feet.

"How are they", I ask, wiping the tears away with my hands, pulling away after a few minutes.