Dirt Road Diary

Chapter 24- Take His Drunk Ass Home

Dear Diary:

I'm so worried about Daryl. I haven't heard from him since he found out his dad died. That was a week ago. As much as I want to be there for him, I'm just going to give him some space so he can sort out his emotions and grieve. Knowing he is in pain breaks my heart. I just pray that he will be ok. Please let him be okay.

-Josie

*Daryl's POV*

I ain't talk to Josie in a week 'n I miss 'er. I just don't want her to feel sorry for me.

I emerge from the trees after bein out all day hunting, the the afternoon sun beating down on my sunburned and sweaty face, making my way through the backyard, and through the backdoor. I find Merle passed out on the couch. Loud snores erupt from his large shirtless chest, his mouth hanging open. Empty beer bottles litter the coffee table 'n floor. I kick 'n empty beer bottle with my boot on my way to my bedroom.

When I enter my now clean room, thanks to Josie, I lean my crossbow against the wall by my bed before collapsing on my bed. Clean laundry and Josie's sweet scent fill my nostrils as I fall into a dreamless sleep.

I wake to find the sun setting through my window. I roll over to my back, rub the sleep from my eyes with the back of my hand before sitting up, throwing my legs off the side of my bed. My mind goes to Josie. All I want is my girl by my side. I realize that I ain't heard from 'er 'n a week. Damn, she's probably mad cause I stormed out when I heard my dad is dead.

"I needa drink", I mumble aloud, rubbin my eyes with the palm of my hands. I pull myself to my feet, grabbin my keys 'n wallet off my dresser before walking out the backdoor to my truck.

I pull up to the bar, pulling into a parking spot before cutting my loud engine. Silence fills the cold cab, sendin chills down my spine. I slowly climb out of my truck 'n walk into the noisy bar. The smell of old liquor 'n cigarettes fills my nostrils when I step inside. I find an empty barstool 'n sitdown ordering a beer 'n 2 shots of whiskey.

I immediately throw back both shots, the warm liquid burnin my throat before quickly chugging my beer.

"Heard bout yer ol' man", a deep southern voice says beside me," Knew tha sorry son-a-bitch would get 'em self killed."

My eyes never leave the brown glass bottle 'n my hand. I know tha voice. Bob, ny ol' man's childhood friend.

I push down the rage that is workin its way up inside me.  I am not 'n the mood to fight. I just wanna get shitfaced 'n forget my problems. Bob gets the hint 'n walks away.

Nobody else bothers me as I back a few more shots 'n beers. My head swims as the buzz hits me. I close my eyes, takin a deep breath while the buzz takes over.

"Tha Josie's sum piece of ass."

My eyes snap open at those words. I quickly scan the room to find the source located next to the pool tables on my left. My body is instantly hot with rage.

"I hear she 's fuckin a Dixon", a tall muscular hick says smirkin.

"Why would she be fuckin trash lim e tha when she could be fuckin a real man lime me", the first voice says laughin.

All I see is red, my breathin coming heavily, my fists clenched at my sides. I quickly walk up to the tall muscular men.

"Don' ya talk bout Josie like tha", I spat in the faces.

"Wha ya gonna do bout it ", the first hick challenges.

"I'm gonna stomp yer ass", I spat, my chest heaving while my eyes gloss over with rage.

"Go crawl back to yer brother", the other hick laughs.

Before I know what's happenin, my fist collides with the first hick's face. Before the other hick can respond, my fist collides with the other hick's face, knockin 'em out. My attention goes back to the first hick. I'm on top of 'em, my fist collidin with his face over 'n over till I'm finally pulled off the now bloody 'n unconscious man.

"Git 'em outta 'ere", the bartender yells as I'm drug to the door 'n thrown outside, landin on my ass on the cold concrete sidewalk in front.

*Josie's POV*

RING RING RING

"Hello", I answer, my voice thick with sleep.

"Josie", Mark, the bar owner yells due to the loud background noise," I need ya to come take boyfriend yer boyfriend's drunk ass home."

"Ok", I sigh," I'll be there soon."

"Hurry", he says before hanging up.

I slowly pull myself out of bed, pulling on my gray workout pants, white v-neck t-shirt, and white tennis shoes. I then go into the bathroom, brush my teeth and pull my hair into a messy ponytail. I quickly walk into the living room, pull on my dark denim jacket, then grab my wallet, keys, and phone before rushing out the door, locking it behind me and walking to my car.

I pull up to find a very drunk Daryl sitting on the curb in front of the bar. I pull into an empty parking spot in front of him before climbing out of my car and walking up to him.

"Come on Daryl", I say, reaching my hand out for him to take.

"I don' need ya", he mumbles, pushing my hand away.

I sigh, sitting down next to him. "Daryl, please let me take you home", I plea.

"I can take myself home", he spats.

"I know you can, but I wanna do it", I smile sweetly.

"Why", he asks.

"Because I missed you", I smile, playfully nudging him with my shoulder causing a smirk to tug on the corner of his chapped lips.

"Come on", I say, climbing to my feet and helping Daryl to his feet.

Daryl wraps his arm around my neck, my arms locked around his waist as we slowly make our way to my car. Before I can open the passenger door for him, Daryl stops me by crashing his lips to mine.

"Lets finish this at home", I say against his lips.

Daryl just nods and climbs into my car. I quickly make my way to the driver side, climbing in and driving away.