Dirt Road Diary

Chapter 32- The News

Dear Diary:

I'M GETTING MARRIED! Everything is perfect! Alli is the only one who knows, Merle doesn't even know yet. Daryl doesn't want to hear his shit. He has agreed to go with me to tell my parents. Ten years ago, I never thought I would be marrying a Dixon. Daryl is my happiness.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

I pull into Daryl's driveway, turning off the engine before climbing out and shutting the door, pulling on the hem of my short dark denim skirt that comes to mid-thigh and smooth out the pink tank top that is underneath my dark denim jacket before walking to the backdoor, my brown cowboy boots crunching the gravel driveway with each step.

Before I can knock, the door flies open, revealing a set of "Dixon" blues.

"Hey there Sweetcheeks", Merle grins,"When ya gonna drop Darlina 'n take a ride on 'Ol Merle? "

"Merlina...you're half the man Daryl is", I respond smiling, rolling my eyes.

"Oh ho...you'll make a damn fine Dixon", Merle grins, wrapping his arm around my shoulders, his usual stench of cigarettes and stale liquor fills my nostrils.

"Daryl told you we're getting married", I ask, turning my head to look at him. A sloppy grin is spread across his face.

"Darlina's gettin hitched", he asks surprised.

"Yeah", I smile,"Where is Daryl anyway? "

Merle just nods his head towards Daryl's room, not saying a word, a big goofy grin still on his face.

I step away from Merle and walk down the small hallway, stopping in front of Daryl's bedroom door.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Come in", Daryl calls from the other side of the door.

I open the door to find Daryl sitting on the edge of his bed, in just his black boxers and white socks, his face in his hands.

"Daryl, what's wrong", I ask, wakking over and sitting on the bed next to him.

He just shakes his head in his hands.

"Baby...you can tell me anything", I say softly, gently rubbing my hand up and down his back. His body surprisingly remains relaxed at my touch.

He slowly lifts his head, our eyes connect, his"Dixon" blues filled with worry and uncertainty.

"What's wrong sweetie", I ask concerned.

"Why ya marryin me", he mumbles, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Because I love you...You're my everything and I don't want to go another day without you by my side", I respond. "Now, come on", I say, pulling Daryl to his feet by the hand, "What are you going to wear?"

Daryl just shrugs with a sad childlike expression on his face while he bites on his thumb.

I open his closet, pulling out a nice pair of dark jeans and a long sleeved blue/black flannel shirt, tossing them to him.

"Put these on", I instruct, walking to the door. I stop, turning to look at him with my hand on the door knob. "Oh...I might've accidentally told Merle we're getting married", I smile sheepishly.

"Wha' tha hell Jose", Daryl mumbles.

"Sorry", I shrug before exiting the room, closing the door behind me.

I walk into the living room to find Merle sitting on the couch, an open beer can tightly gripped in his right hand while his left arm is resting across the back of the couch. He throws his head back, bellowing in laughter at something on the tv.