Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 14- Leave My Girl Alone

Dear Diary:

I woke up in the hospital. According to my mom, Alli found me bloody and unconscious in my bed. I have a broken nose and a concussion. The police are looking for Derek, he has disappeared. I'm so afraid of what Derek's going to do when he finds out I'm alive.

-Josie

*Daryl's POV*

I wake up to the sun shining in my window. I immediately begin thinking about Josie causing a smile to ghost its way across my face. I pull myself out of my bed, anxious to see Josie today. I take a quick shower, brush my hair and teeth, pull on a clean pair of light jeans and brown t-shirt before pulling on my brown boots. I walk into the living room, freezing in the doorway at the sight in front of me. Alli is sitting on the couch with Merle, his arms wrapped tightly around her (So unlike Merle) while her face is buried in his barechest, her body shaking with sobs. My heart drops into the pit of my stomach.

"Hey baby brotha", Merle says over his shouler with no expression on his face.

Alli lifts her head, pulling out of Merle's grasp. Her eyes are red and swollen, tears and eyeliner streaking down her red cheeks. She slowly stands up, standing in front of me. The pain in her eyes tells me that I don't want to hear what she is going to say. I can feel hot tears threaten to spill over as one name pops in my head. Josie

"Josie's in the hospital again", she whispers as more tears flow down her face.

A sea of emotions flow through me as I process Alli's words. I begin to pace as I try to fight back the tears that were already threatening to spill over. I freeze glaring at Alli's agonized expression.

"Wha' happened to 'er", I demand, my voice laced with anger.

"She...she was attacked", Alli whispers between sobs.

I can feel my blood boiling inside me. "Who", I hiss btween clenched teeth.

Alli glances over at Merle before looking back at me. "Derek", is all she says before I storm out the backdoor and to my truck before speeding off.

15 MINUTES LATER

I angerly bang on the brown wooden door. My body filled with rage, my fists clenched at my sides. The door opens, I grab Derek's collar, shoving him backwards inside the house. I slam the door closed with my free hand before shoving his back roughly against the wall.

"LEAVE MY GIRL ALONE", I spat in his face before raising my fist, throwing punch after punch to pretty boys face until his eyes close and his body goes limp. I release my grip on his collar, his body slides down the wall until it finally hits the floor. I leave Derek's unconscious body laying on the living room floor.

As I drive to the hospital, the anger that had consumed me before has now been replaced by unfamiliar emotions. Hurt? Fear? Concern?

I fight the tears that have been threatening to spill over as I pull into the hospital parking garage. I quickly find Josie's room, my heart shattering at the sight in front of me. Josie is sitting up in the bed with an IV sticking out of her arm. Her face barely recognizable from all the swelling and bruising. She looks up from the book in her hands, a small smile flashes on her face causing her to wince in pain. I rush over to her side.

"Ya' ok", I ask, concern lacing my words.

"I am now", she responds softly, a small smile plays on her lips.

I sit down in the small armchair that is pulled up next to her bed.

"Wha' happened", I ask.

"Derek", Josie begins, tears welling up in her eyes, "he raped me." Tears streaming down her red swollen cheeks. I slowly stand up, sitting down on the bed, wrapping her in a light hug. Her body shaking against mine in sobs.

"It's ok", I whisper, "He won' hurt ya' anymore." I hold Josie tightly in my arms, rubbing soft circles in her back while she cries. I decide then and there that I am going to protect her no matter what.

The moment is interupted by a light knock right before her mom enters the room. Josie pulls away from my grip as I quickly stand up and walk out the door. I stop just outside the Josie's door, afraid to leave her.

"How are you sweetie", her mom asks.

"Ok", Josie replies.

"What was one of the Dixon boys doing here", her moms asks.

"Daryl was just checking on me", Josie replies.

"Why, may I ask, would he be doing that", her mom asks.

"He's just a friend checking on me", Josie says.

"I don't know how I feel about you hanging around him", her mom says, "You saw what happened with Alli."

"Mom, Daryl is nothing like Merle", Josie defends, "He is kind, caring, and sober."

"If you say so dear", her mom replies, "I just don't want you to get hurt again."

"Daryl wouldn't ever lay a hand on me or any woman", Josie says.

"I hope not", her mom says.

"Mom", Josie whines.

"Ok, can I do anything for you", her mom aks, "Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks", Josie replies.

"I love you my baby girl" ,her mom says.

"I love you too mom", Josie replies.

*Daryl's Flashback*

4 Years Old

"Mama", I walk into the kitchen with tears running down my dirty cheeks.

"Wha", she answers through the cigarette burning btween her chapped lips. Never looking up from the magazine in her hands.

"I gotta booboo", I say between sniffles, pointing at the cut on my knee, a trail of blood running down my shin.

"Suck it up boy", she says, "An don' get blood on my rug."

"Ok mama", I say before walking into the bathroom to clean and bandage my leg.

*Josie's POV*

After my mom left, I roll over onto my side, my back facing the door, and close my eyes. I am almost asleep when the bed suddenly shifts and a pair of strong arms wrap around me causing me to jump.

"Shhh...it's just me", a familiar rough southern voice whispers in my ear. My body relaxes into the warmth that is Daryl Dixon.

"What are you doing", I ask with a smile on my face.

"Keepin ya' safe", he whispers in my ear. Daryl loosens his grip around me, I roll over onto my other side so I can look at those "Dixon" blues that give me so much comfort. We just lay in silence, getting lost in each other's eyes.

"I'm gonna keep ya safe", Daryl whispers breaking the comfortable silence.

"Thank you", I whisper with a small smile, ignoring the pain that shoots through my cheeks, "I'm gonna take care of you."

My smile fades as I see Daryl squirm uncomfortably from my words, I shrug it off and change the subject.

"When I get outta here, will you teach me how to use a gun, please", I ask sweetly.

"Yeah darlin", Daryl replies, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I still owe you breakfast too", I smile earning a small chuckle from Daryl.

We lay in the bed talking about random things for a couple hours until my eyes begin getting heavy. I snuggle into Daryl's warm chest, his comforting scent filling my nostrils, I quickly fall into a deep sleep.