Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 5- Rough Around The Edges

Dear Diary:

I've seen a side of Daryl that scares me, but worries me at the same time. I've never cared for someone like I do Daryl. He has so many different emotions, but the only one he knows how to show is anger. I just wish I knew what I've done to cause him to treat me the way he does. Oh Well!

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

I watch Daryl get up and walk outside. I hesitate for a minute before I decide to check on him. I walk outside to find Daryl sitting on the tailgate of his truck with a lit cigarette inbetween his fingers, staring at the ground.

"Daryl", I say softly while slowly approaching him for fear of him exploding at me.

He doesn't take his eyes off the ground but mumbles, "Wha' ya wan'?"

I sigh before answering, "Are you okay?"

"Fine", he mumbles.

"What did I do", I carefully ask, afraid of his response.

He slowly raises his head to look at me. "Nothin', Darlin", he says softly.

I'm taken off guard by the nickname. "Daryl", I say.

"Wha", he mumbles, irritation showing in his voice.

I take a deep breath before speaking, "I really like you and want to be friends."

*Daryl's POV*

"I really like you and want to be friends."

Josie's words kept playing in my head. I ain't ever had nobody wanna be my friend before, especially no girl.

"Wha' for", I scoff.

A smile ghosts across her face. "You're a good guy", she says, "I want to get to know you."

A small smirk plays on my lips, but it quickly disappears. "I ain't no good", I mumble.

Josie sighs while taking a small step closer to me, she is now standing right infront of me making me uncomfortable.

"You are good", she whispers with a sweet smile. She looks at me for a second longer before retreating back inside the diner.

I just continue sitting on my tailgate thinking about Josie's words. I ain't never had nobody be nice to me before.

*LATER THAT DAY*

*Josie's POV*

Alli talked me into coming with her to the Dixon's house. As soon as we arrived, she ran off to Merle's room with him. I am currently sitting on the couch in the small living room watching some hunting show on the small tv while Daryl is sitting on the edge of the fireplace, ignoring me, messing with his crossbow.

I smile at Daryl when he finally looks up at me.

"Wha", he asks with a confused look on his face.

"Nothing", I shake my head.

"Wha' ever", he responds before standing up and walking out the back door with his crossbow in hand.

I sit there staring at the tv, thinking about Daryl, for a few minutes before deciding to go for a walk. I walk outside, but don't see Daryl anywhere. I just shrug and walk to the woods behind the small house.

I am walking through the trees, lost in my thoughts, when I hear a twang as something flies right infront of my face barely missing me. I am still in shock when I hear, "Damn it, woman."

Daryl walks over to the tree next to me, pulls the arrow out of the trunk, then turns around glaring at me. "Wha' the hell ya' doin' out 'ere", he snaps.

I looked at him, still frozen with shock. "I...I...I just went for a walk", I studder.

Daryl shakes his head while walking off mumbling, "Dumb Bitch."

I turn around and run after him. "What did you call me", I yell at him while grabbing his shoulder.

*Daryl's POV*

I stop, slowly turning around, "I SAID, DUMB BITCH",I yell in her face. I continue to stand glaring at her, face turning a dark shade of red, rage filling my eyes, clenching and unclenching my fists at my side.

"WHAT THE FUCK DID I EVER DO TO YOU",she scream tears welling up in my eyes.

"EVERYTHING", I scream back.

Her expression goes from pissed to confused at my response. I just shake my head and walk away, leaving Josie standing alone in the middle of the woods.

"DARYL", Josie calls after me. I ignore her as I get lost in my thoughts.

*Daryl's Flashback*

A 14 year old Daryl is at his locker putting his books away when Josie walks by with her a group of her friends. Daryl watches her walking down the hall, laughing at something that was said.

"Hey, Loser", a football player says as he shoves me into my open locker while laughing and walking away.

A clap of thunder pulls me out of my thoughts as I feel the first drop of rain. I pick up my pace towards my house. When I step out of the tree line, I notice Josie's car is still here. I quickly disappear into the shop, to work on my truck.

COUPLE HOURS LATER

*Josie's POV*

Alli is still in Merle's room while I am sitting on the couch by myself watching tv in the Dixon's living room. I've been watching reruns of "South Park" for the last hour. I decide to go find something to do so I step outide the backdoor and look around. The ran has stopped and the sun is shining, making it very humid outside. I hear a clang followed by "Damn it". I laugh while walking towards the shop where the noise came from.

I step inside to find Daryl under the hood of his truck. "Need some help", I ask stepping closer.

"Nah", he simply responds before going back to what he was doing, swearing a few more times.

I giggle a little while peaking inside the hood to see what he is trying to do. I realize why he is struggling. I turn around, grab a different wrench, before reaching over and tightening the bolt that was giving him so much trouble.

"Thanks", he mumbles, not looking at me.

"Your welcome", I smile.

He wipes his hands off on a shop rag before climbing into the cab of his truck and turning the key. It immediately roars to life filling the shop with the smell of gasoline. He lets it run for a minute before shutting it off and climbing out of the truck. I watch as Daryl leans against the hood of his truck staring at the dirty shop floor. I go to walk outside when a voice stops me. "Ya' goin to tha' bonfire Friday?", Daryl mumbles, never taking his eyes off the floor.

"Yeah, what about you", I answer softly.

Daryl nods in response. I decide he isn't going to say anything else, so I turn and walk outside. The sun is now setting in the distance making the sky a beautiful orange. I walk over and sit down in one of the rusted metal patio chairs on the back porch just watching the sun setting. I see movement out of the corner of my eye, when I look over, I see Daryl is now leaning against the shop door staring at me. When our eyes meet, he quickly looks away. I smile to myself, he is totally busted. I go back to watching the sunset when Alli and Merle walk out of the back door. "Ready to go", she asks.

I stand up and climb into my car while Alli kisses Merle goodbye. I am sitting in the car waiting on Alli when I look into the backyard to see Daryl sitting on a log around a firepit, poking at a small fire, glaring in my direction.

*Daryl's POV*

I wanted to ask Josie to go with me to the bonfire Friday, but I pussied out. She is the only woman that I've ever been interested in before. She is so beautiful and smart.

"Dumbass, Josie wouldn't give your sorry good for nothin' ass the time of day, you're just redneck trash", my head tells me. I try to shake it off, but I know it's right. I watch as Alli climbs into the car and they drive off.