Dirt Road Diary

Chapter 27-I Love My Dixon

Dear Diary:

The first night at the cabin was great until I burnt myself while roasting marshmellows. After that, Daryl was distant and off. He even slept in the spare bedroom, leaving me to cry myself to sleep in the master bedroom alone. I am going to find out what is going on.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

THE NEXT DAY AT THE CABIN

The sun is setting and Daryl has been gone since sunrise this morning. I've spent the day alone reading, working on my tan by the lake, and even went for a walk. I am currently sitting on the plaid couch flipping through an old hunting magazine in an old pair of Daryl's dark green sweatpants and my v-neck t-shirt,  my legs are covered with a light blue throw blanket,  my long dark hair pulled into a messy bun,  I haven't even bothered with makeup because it would've been washed away by my tears. I look up from the magazine when a dirty, tired looking Daryl walks through the front door, his crossbow slung over his shoulder.  He doesn't even look my way as he walks down the short hall. I sit listening to the quietness closing in around me, fighting the hot tears threatening to spill over again. I hear the bedroom door open, then another door open and immediately close.  A minute later, the shower turns on indicating Daryl is taking a shower.  The silence has become too much, I have to make him talk to me.

I stand up, walk to the bathroom door, taking a deep breath,  releasing it slowly before turning the dirty brass knob and stepping inside then quietly closing it behind me.

"Daryl", I say nervously.

NOTHING

I grab the shower curtain,  quickly pulling it open, revealing a naked Daryl,  the warm water running down his perfect muscular body almost makes me forget he has hurt me.

"Wha' tha hell", he bellows snapping me back to reality.

I clear my throat. "What is wrong with you", I ask, "What did I do?"

"Nothin", he mumbles, his eyes fixed on the tub floor.

"Then why are you ignoring me", I croak,  tears stinging my red rimmed eyes.

Daryl just shrugs. 

I step into the shower with him still fully clothed.

"Wha' are ya doin", he asks.

"We are not leaving this shower until you tell me what's going on with you", I say with a serious expression.

Daryl scoffs while shaking his head.

"We'll stay here all night if we have to", I tell him.

Daryl sighs.  "I...", he begins.

"You what", I ask.

"I love ya", he mumbles, irritation thick in his voice before he quickly steps out of the shower, grabbing a towel on his way out of the bathroom.

I turn off the shower, quickly strip off my soaking wet clothes, leaving them in the tub while I grab a towel, wrapping it around my shivering body as I exit the bathroom and slowly walk to the spare bedroom, lightly knocking.

"What", Daryl calls from the other side.

"Can I come in", I call back.

"No", he replies.

I slowly open the door. "I'm going to anyway", I say, walking in causing Daryl to scoff.

Daryl is sitting on the double bed, his feet flat on the floor,  his face in his hands.