Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 8- Can’t Tell Him Nothin’

Dear Diary:

I went out with Derek tonight. Everytime I looked at him, all I saw was Daryl’s face. What is wrong with me? I had a great time with Daryl this morning. He was teaching me to use a crossbow, he was so kind and gentle.  His touch sent sparks shoot through me, something Derek doesn’t do.

  -Josie

*Josie’s POV*

I can’t sleep. I have to see Daryl. I don’t care that it’s 4 am. I grab my keys and jump in my car.

15 MINUTES LATER

I pull into the Dixon’s driveway. Shutting off my engine, I just sit staring at the small rundown white cabin for a few minutes, trying to figure out what I am going to say to him. I sigh before stepping out of my car.

“Wha’ ya’ doin ‘ere”, a rough southern drawl asks.

I freeze in my tracks in front of the small white shop. I stand there looking at the ground when I see a pair of dirty brown work boots appear. My eyes slowly move up, seeing the dirty worn dark jeans, then up to the stained white t-shirt with a large hole on the right shoulder. My eyes continue to travel up to his thin chapped lips that are loosely holding a cigarette, finally to be met by his piercing blue eyes.

He grabs the cigarette using his right thumb and index finger, pulls it from his lips before dropping it to the ground and using the toe of his boot to rub it out.

We stare at each other for a couple minutes, confusion and concern written on his face. My heart is pounding in my ears while I am trying to think of my next move.

“I think I forgot something”, I whisper.

“Wha’ is so ‘mportant tha’ ya’ had ta come ‘ere so early”, he asks while an amuzed smirk plays on his lips.

Before I know what I’m doing, I respond. “This”, I whisper with a smirk before wrapping my arms around his neck and gently kissing his lips. I pull back, our eyes meet, his eyes are filled with confusion before they quickly fill with something else. I don’t get a chance to figure it out before his thin lips crash into mine. I snake my arms around his neck while he snakes his around my waist, pulling me closer to him. As quick as it began, he pulls away and stares at me. My heart is pounding , my mind is racing as I stare into his baby blues that are now a shade darker with lust. We stare in each others eyes for a minute before I see his eyes suddenly fill with anger.

“Wha’ tha’ hell, Josie”, he yells.

“What did I do”, I ask stunned.

Daryl stands infront of me, his clenched hands hanging at his side, breathing heavily.  He just shakes his head scoffing,” Ya’ really are a dumb whore aren’ ya?”

His words stab my heart causing my eyes to burn from the tears that are welling up.

“Ya fuck Derek, then come ‘ere an’ kiss me”, he continues, "Fuckin’ whore.” Before I can say anything, Daryl quickly disappears into the shop before reappearing a second later with his crossbow strapped to his back and storming off into the woods not giving me another glance, leaving me standing in the middle of his driveway alone with tears streaming down my face. I ignore the urge to run after him and get back in my car instead before driving back home, crying the entire way.

*Daryl’s POV*

What the fuck is that damn whore thinking? What does she want from me? She has to want somethin’, I know it ain’t me. “She is only using ya”, my conscience says.

I quietly walk through the woods, putting a bolt through anything I see. By the time I’ve cooled off, I’ve got 7 squirrels, 8 rabbits, and 1 owl hanging by the rope over my shoulder. I step out of the woods and sit down on a log around the firepit me ‘n Merle built. I get lost in my thoughts while I begin to skin what I caught.

*Daryl’s Flashback*

I am 13 years old.I’m looking at an old “Playboy” magazine that I found under my dad’s bed. I’ve noticed that looking at girls gives me a strange feeling insidemy body, especially my manhood region causing it to grow. I’m not quite sure what they are or what it means, all I know is they are new and confusing.

“Whatcha’ got there, baby brotha”, Merle slurs while snatching the magazine out of his hands grinning.

Nothin’, give it back”, I whisper.

“OH HO, Darlina’s discovered girls”, Merle laughs,”Guess he ain’t a homo after all”.

“SHUDDUP”, I yell at him.

“Whadya’ say boy”, Merle yells.

“Leave me ‘lone”, I whisper.

“Face it, baby brotha”, Merle smirks,”ain’t no bitch ever gonna wantcha.” He throws the magazine in my lap before stumbling out of my room.

A dog barking in the distance pulls me out of my thoughts.

I finish skinning the animals before standing up and disappearing into the house to wash up.

*Josie’s POV*

It’s been two weeks since I kissed Daryl and I haven’t stopped thinking about him. I can’t believe I did that, what is wrong with me?

It is midnight on a Saturday night and I am working my shift in the ER. I walk into my next patient’s room with their x-rays in my hand.  I freeze when I meet the most beautiful set of blues eyes I’ve ever seen.

“Great”, Daryl mumbles.

I put on my fake smile, trying to cover the hurt I feel inside. I walk over and sit down on the stool infront of Daryl. I gently take his injured hand in mine,his body tensing before relaxing again, I can feel his baby blues burning into the top of my head as I begin to carefully wrap it in an ace bandage. “It’s not broken, just sprained”, I explain, "I’ll give you a prescription for pain pills and muscle relaxers,,please don’t let Merle see them.”

I look up at Daryl’s sexy face to find him staring at me. His face expressionless, his lips set in a hard line. I can feel my heartrate pick up and the butterflies flapping wildly in my stomach. “What happened”, I ask.

Daryl looks at me, not saying anything for a second before shrugging, "Got in a figh’ wit’ Merle”, he mumbles.

“I’m sorry”, I say.

“I live”, he shrugs.

“I mean, I’m sorry for kissing you”, I say.

We both stand up and look at each other. “Fuck ya”, he spats before storming out of the room. I stand there, just staring at the door for a minute, fighting back the tears that are burning my eyes  before sighing and moving on to my next patient.

 Daryl's POV

Fuckin’ woman. Why can’ I get ‘er outta my head? She’s gonna be the death of me.