Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 19- Rub Off On Me

Dear Diary:

I heard Daryl admit that all I am is a piece of ass. My heart has shattered into a million pieces. How could I be so dumb as to think he could care about me. He is a Dixon after all. I thought he was different, an exception. I was wrong.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

My eyes flutter open, my body is surrounded in warmth. Wait, warmth? My eyes shoot open, I quickly realize that I am in Daryl's room and the warmth his strong body wrapped around me. Memories of yesterday come flooding back to me. Daryl's words flash through my head like a bright neon sign. My heart breaks as the hot salty tears burn my hot cheeks.

I slowly slide out of Daryl's arms, careful not to wake him. I quickly pull on my jeans and tennis shoes before quietly exiting the room and out the backdoor.

As soon as I am outside, I take off through the backyard, the sobs that I had fought so desperately to hold in finally escaping like a broken dam. My legs carry me to the small firepit in the back corner of the Dixon's backyard. I plop down on one of the logs that is arranged around the firepit and sob into my hands. I jump when something touches my shoulder. I look up to Daryl standing behind me, his large calloused hand resting on my shoulder. He is wearing the same light jeans and red flannel shirt that he had on yesterday. His hair is disheveled and sticking up in different directions, his tired eyes are filled with concern. He looks so cute. Damn it, why does he do this to me?

"I didn't hear you", I barely choke out, my voice hoarse from crying.

"Wha's wrong", Daryl asks.

"Nothing", I sigh.

"Bullshit", he mumbles angrily,"Ya' wouldn't be out 'ere cryin' if nothin' was wrong."

I feel the anger welling up inside me. Before I know what I'm doing, I'm on my feet, inches from Daryl's face. "I HEARD YOU DARYL", i scream,"I HEARD WHAT YOU TOLD MERLE." I begin to storm off, but am stopped by a strong calloused hand wrapping tightly around my forearm.

"WHAT", I scream, spinning around, my eyes burning into his blue ones.

"Forget it", Daryl mumbles, releasing his grip on my arm, glaring at me. We glare at each other for a long moment before I turn around and storm back to his house, feeling his eyes burning into me the entire time. I disappear into the house, making my way to his room. I begin gathering up my things, but stop, plopping down on the edge of his bed as the hot tears burn my eyes again. I don't look up from the messy floor when I feel a presence enter the room.

"I didn' mean it", Daryl mumbles after staring at me for a while in silence.

"Don't bullshit me Dixon", I spat, jumping up to my full height, my glossy anger filled eyes burning into his as hurt filled ones. The hurt is quickly replaced with anger.

"Ya' know wha', yer right", he spats, his hands at his sides shaking with rage,"Yer nuthin' but a piece a ass."

"Fuck you Dixon", I yell in his face before running out of his room, through the backdoor. My legs carry me as fast as they can through the overgrown backyard and into the woods. I don't stop running until I reach the clearing, tears streaming down my red hot cheeks while I try to catch my breath. I spot a tall tree a few feet away. I take off running, collapsing underneath it. My knees curled into my chest in a fetal position, my body shaking with sobs. I close my eyes and allow the pain to take over.

I feel my body being lifted off the cold ground. I curl into the warmth that is cradling my tiny shaking body. I don't protest, too weak from crying, as Daryl carries me bridal style.