Dirt Road Diary (Daryl & Merle Dixon Pre-Apocalyptic Story)

Chapter 13- Nothing Short Of Dying

Dear Diary:

I broke up with Derek. He was very angry when I told him. I go to the doctor tomorrow to find out for sure. What was I thinking sleeping with him? Oh well, what's done is done.

-Josie

*Josie's POV*

I just left the doctor's office. I'm not pregnant. He said that my symptoms are due to stress and anxiety. He has prescribed something to help.

I walk into my apartment to my phone ringing. I make it to the phone just as the answering machine picks up.

Leave a message...

Derek: Josie, please pick up. I know you're there. I'm sorry baby. I love you. Dammit... CLICK.

I hit "erase" and then listen to the other 20 New Messages. All are from Derek and sound pretty much like the first one. I just erase them all. After erasing them all, I sigh before going to my room to change into a pair of black sweatpants and a gray v-neck t-shirt.

I emerge from my room to hear the sound of voices. I walk into the living room to find Daryl, Alli, and Merle sitting on the couch.

"What's up", Alli asks causing both Dixon's to look at me.

"Hey Sweetcheeks", Merle smirks. Daryl just nods in my direction.

"Hey guys", I reply while sitting down on the fireplace hearth across from the couch.

We listen to Merle tell hunting stories for a while until he stands up, leading Alli to her room, leaving me alone with Daryl.

I look at Daryl to find his eyes burning into me. I get up and sit down on the couch next to him.

"How ya' been", I ask breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"Aight", he mumbles.

"That's good", I smile.

I open my mouth to say something, but am interupted by a knock on the door. I get up, open the door to be greeted by a middle aged man with graying hair wearing a dark blue uniform with a name tag sewn onto it, holding a crystal vase filled with a dozen red roses. " I have a delivery for Josie Jacobs", he smiles.

"I'm Josie", I reply. He hands me the arrangement. "Thank you", I say before closing the door. Daryl's eyes follow me as I carry the flowers to the bar, setting them down, I notice a card sticking out from the center of the arrangement. I read the card, Love you forever Love, Derek.

My hands begin to shake, my cheeks become hot as tears begin forming in my eyes from the hurt and anger coursing through me. I rip the note in half while Daryl watches, confusion and concern written on his face, throwing it in the trash before picking up the vase, walking over to the glass door that leads to the balcony. I slide it open , stepping out before closing it behind me. I walk over to the edge of the balcony, using all my strength, I throw the flower arrangement with the vase, watching it crash to the sidewalk taking the hurt and anger with it. I take in a deep breath before releasing it. I stand on the balcony, watching the now setting sun when I hear the glass door slide open and then close again. I glance over at the presence that is now standing beside me before returning my attention back to the sunset in front of me.

"Ya' aight", Daryl asks after a few moments of silence.

I sigh before nodding my head "yes". I turn so my body is facing Daryl. He turns to face me, his eyes burn into me as I stare at my socked feet. I slowly shake my head "no" as the stream of tears that I've been fighting back begin to freely flow down my red cheeks. I slowly raise my head when I feel a strong hand gently squeeze my shoulder. I am met by those beautiful "Dixon" blues. Neither one of us says a word as we get lost in the others eyes.