Chapter 12: From Parents

Lesson learnt from my parents.

Honestly speaking from almost 20 years of experience. Your parents are the greatest gift of god you have. Trust me, when we are teenagers and all we wanna do in life is life our way, we see other's parents and wish our parents were like them too, it's all wrong.

Because if you change your perspective a little bit, you will realise what I'm trying to say.

You see ever since the second you were born or even before you entered into this world. Ever since your parents got to know that they were going to have you. The only thing they thought of nourishing you. I mean think about it for a second. Step onto your parent's shoes.

Being a parent is so hard isn't it?

I mean the second you become a parent all you think about is how do you provide luxury to your kids. Every thing you do is for your child. You have to give up on your dreams or whatever and work hard to give them proper education, clothing and food. Providing them everything their heart desires of so that they never feel inferior to any other child.

Doing extra shifts, winter or summer. No matter how much the degree or fahrenheit.

Baring the 9 months pain, sleepless nights

And all of this just to find your child being ungrateful to you.

Why?
Just because their parents failed to understand them.

I see so many teenagers complain about how their parents treat them but they never appreciate this that their parents also didn't treat them the way their parents I mean their grand parents have treated them.

I do understand how parents never try to understand us but how can you neglect the fact that even you don't try to understand them either?

See for instance, you put in efforts and too much hardwork or preparation for making something. Be it anything. Be it a painting, a cake, or food.

Suppose you are doing that for someone you love. Don't you put your best efforts? like in a way don't you try to give the world in whatever you trying to do just to see them smile? and now imagine them not appreciating that effort? Won't that hurt you?

Now see it as your parent's view. Your parents raised you! Gave up on their dreams. Worked hard day and night to give you the life you are having and I'm sure the reader of this one has a warm blanket to sleep. A safe ceiling on their top. Proper food to eat. And proper education of course because otherwise then you won't be able to read this.

What else do you need to consider yourself blessed? And who gave you this? YOUR PARENTS!

What do you do with someone you love when they were to take a bad step? You would obviously scold them right? That's what your parents do.

Given the age gap. They will not understand you but there's always love in their anger you fail to understand. Trust me when you'd grow old and become parents you'll realise. Because at that time you will be experienced with everything in life whether its the first heartbreak to fake friends to losing a job to dealing with insecuritues to dealing with society taunts.

Everything you will experience you will try your best to not let you child suffer the same way. Because thats what we all humans do right? When we go through something we always wish that no one gets to go through what we go through. That's what our parents do.

Trust me on this. Trust me. If you listen and understand your parents. You'd not have anything to complain.

Imagine man. Your child being ungrateful to even when you do all the things to them. Its hurtful.

And also, parents are human beings too. They have flaws. They make mistakes too.

Why is it so hard for us to forgive our parents when inturn we always want them to forgive us because of our mistakes?

Why do we see them as some people who are perfect and never allowed to make any mistakes?

I mean they are humans for godsake!

Some parents aren't ready to handle a child's responsibilty so they just abandom them. Some parents even after becoming parents, the only that matters to them is their own dreams.

What I want to convey here is, Parents are just like us. Grown up kids. Making mistakes and maturing through life. 

You know what we do when we face such problems with our parents. The first thing we do is make the intention that we will never treat our kids the way our parents treat us.

And imagine even after that if your child becomes an extra rebel than you are? Imagine how it would make you feel? Won't you feel where you went wrong?

Anyways. Lets ponder on that and now let me move towards the lesson I learnt.

I learnt that I'll always be there to listen to my child. To listen how was his/her day at school. To make them aware of the harms of the world. To let them know that they can count on me anytime of the day or night. And I'd be there for them.

I would be there for my girl when she would start liking  a stupid guy. I won't let her go to sleep crying  and knowing that she is having a hard time.

I would raise my sons to respect all the women in this world and I will teach my daughter to never let her insecurities overpower. Never let anyone bring them down.

I'd help them, advise them, guide them, play with them, have fun with them, scold them when necessary.

I'd try my best to be the best parent in this world because I know this as well that kids' self esteem begins from home.

If you say your child everyday that they're beautiful and they can achieve what they believe in. If you respect their talent and let them go with what they love. I tell you you'll raise an amazing child who'd be filled with confidence.

So I hope my lesson will be of benefit to you someday.

Until next time.
Take care.

~Em.