Chapter 17: From responsibilities.

Lesson I learnt from responsibilities.

Now, talking about responsibilities, they are different types of them. They are the ones you don't want to have but are given to you earlier than you are required to have because there's no choice left. Your responsibilities are for you alone to handle, you can't give them to anyone just like that. 

Then, they are responsibilities that come to you when the time is right. Like becoming a parent for instance, your children are your responsibility. 

Now, moving ahead, the lesson that I have learnt is based on the first type of responsibilities. Which were given to me without my consent. Which were kept on my shoulders because I had no choice than to carry them. Which makes me want to run away, far far away from them. 

Sometimes, I wish, like a bag that is carried on your back, I wish I could dump my unwanted responsibilities in a bag and toss that bag in a bin and live free. 

But life, my dear friends, is not at all easy. 

Once you step in to the phase of being a 20 year old, there's no escape from the responsibilities you are given. But, they are, a few fortunate ones who live their lives as carefree as they used to, when they were a kid. 

But what about the unfortunate ones? Well, not really unfortunate but you know what I mean. 

The urge to run away from everything is real. 

So, coming to the lesson. 

I learnt that there is no way you can run from them because if you do, they multiply. They become more and more heavy. All you can do is, face them. Live with them no matter how badly you are failing in your tasks. No matter how much you have let people down. You know, your inner self knows that you are trying. You know how much efforts you are making.  You know how tired you feel. You know, and there's no one in this world who can understand your struggle as much as your own self. Some wise person said, 'grow through what you go through'. 

And I think that's right. You learn many things about life and about the variety of people by having responsibilities on your shoulders. You learn so much that you can spot a fake person from a mile distance. You no longer fall in the trap of sweet words and actions. You have your priorities straight. You know the exact amount of people who'd be happy in your happiness and sad in your sadness. You know who matter and who don't. You have dealt with so much that you are strong enough to face what's ahead. 

Just like that, exactly like that, you grew up. 

Your perspective of life changed. 

Your priorities changed.

Your likes and dislikes changed. 

Everything about you changed over time and the best part was, you didn't even try to change yourself to fit in. You adapted the situation as it came. You might be more experienced than someone who is 10 years elder than you. 

This is what responsibilities do to you. They mend you into a person you never imagined you would become and all that happened without you having to try.

You have cried enough that nothing more makes you cry than the last time you cried. 

You have suffered enough and now nothing is mightier than what you have gone through. 

I know, I know you want a break from your life which feels like it's going within a blink of an eye, but what you are not doing is, the moment you close your eyes in order to open again, you are not living that moment where you are right now. 

Right now, you are reading this, your eyeballs moving left to right, my words resonating with you. If you are just skimming through then you are not letting these words sink in you. 

You are restricting yourself from feeling anything. 

When you are walking on the street, you are not taking in the air around you. You are just breathing. When you walk past pretty flowers, you do not stop by to grace your fingers over them. Your head is busy thinking of what has to be done and what have you done. Your mind is constantly thinking of what shall you be doing next. In short, you are engrossed in thinking about your future so much that you are forgetting to live in the present. 

So, tell me, aren't you doing injustice to yourself? 

Tell me,  are you actually living your life or dragging along? 

Ask yourself, what is the purpose of your life, what is your dream? your goal that you want to achieve in the next 5 years. If 5 years are too much for you, then think about what are you going to achieve by the next year. 

Ask yourself 

and then, your responsibilities won't feel like a burden to you. 

You won't feel like running from them because they are training you for the future. 

so, tell me. 

Are you ready? 

Until next time

Take care

~Em