06| locĸeт

After the feast, I decided to go for a walk along the shoreline of the Black Lake

After the feast, I decided to go for a walk along the shoreline of the Black Lake. The moon shone down on the calm water, and the waves gently crashed against the shore, when Asteria swam up to the surface.

"What are you doing so close to the water, child? If water touches your skin you will turn back into a mermaid." She told me, and I took a step back, away from the water.

"Sorry, Asteria." My hair was gently swept around in the soft breeze.

"Speaking of which, I have something for you," she pulled out a golden locket. "As long as you wear this, even if you do touch water, you will remain human. This was actually around your neck when I found you in that basket, and I am terribly sorry I didn't give it to you sooner."

She lowered her head, like she was ashamed of herself for keeping the only thing I had, presumably given to me by my parents, and she had kept it hidden all those years.

"Why does it hold that kind of magic?" I broke the silence a few moments later.

"I enchanted it. Here." She swam towards me as far as she could with her having a tail, and I leant forwards as she handed it to me.

It was beautiful. I studied it closely and realised something was engraved in the front. I read what it said. 'Esmraldia, our little girl.' Tears swelled up in my eyes, but I stayed strong and blinked them back.

"Thank you." I looked at Asteria. For the first time in years, she seemed to care about me, even if it was only a small amount.

"Open it." I gave her a confused look and averted my eyes back to the locket, and noticed that there was a gilt button that opened it up. I pressed it gently and it sprung open.

Inside, was a picture. It was black and white, and quite dusty, but it made me smile, because in the picture was a man and a woman holding their children. Then I realised that was my family. The woman was holding who I guessed was me, and the man another child.

"Who's that other baby next to me?" I asked Asteria.

"Your brother." I was taken back.

"I have a brother?" She slowly nodded. "What's his name?"

"I don't know, otherwise I would have know who your parents were, but I have never seen them before, and you know I was the one who gave you your surname, not your parents."

"But you must of done." Still, she shook her head. I looked back down the picture, and it was moving. My whole family was smiling and laughing, which made a smile tug at my mouth. Then I realised something different about my baby self in the picture.

I had legs...