29| wing

Cedric's POV

Cedric's POV

I was in the middle of a conversation with my friends sitting at the Hufflepuff table, when Ciara cam running in and went towards Dumbledore.

Ethan, my best mate, turned towards us. "She crying." I looked at her as she whispered something to Dumbledore, then she ran back down the aisle and burst into tears. She shut the door behind her.

The whispering of the students around us were gradually getting louder and louder. At the front of the Great Hall, Dumbledore stood there. Almost like he was... frightened.

"I'm sure you would all like to know what that was all about," he paused obviously struggling in what to say. "Our fifth year student, Esmraldia Seapixi, has been petrified."

Shocked gasps came from all the four tables, even the Slytherin's. I tightened my grip around my spoon and clenched my jaw.

"It is believed to have been done by a creature called a basilisk, a snake. She has been taken to the hospital wing, and will be cured soon." He stepped down from the podium.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I stood up and ran out the Hall and towards the hospital wing.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

I entered the wing to see Esmraldia laid down on a bed, her body stiff and her hands held up in the air, terror in her eyes.

Ciara sat beside her, holding her hand. She wasn't crying anymore but still looked sad.

"Are... you ok?" I asked and her head turned around. She looked back towards Esmraldia and for a moment there was silence.

"Madame Pomfrey said that if the power of the basilisk was too strong, she won't make it." She didn't look at me, she just stared at Esmraldia.

I walked over and sat on the chair by the bed.

"You seem to care about her a lot." I managed to say to Ciara once I saw Esmraldia up close. All the life had been taken from her eyes. Now, they were dull.

Ciara finally glanced at me, but she didn't smile. "I guess I'm not the only one." I knew that she was referring to me.

"But why?" She paused for a second then looked back at Esmraldia.

"It's complicated. It's something that happened a long time ago, and I don't want to tell anyone at the moment."

We both fell silent. I couldn't help but notice the way Ciara looked at her. This was more than just friendship between them; it was like they were connected in some way.