Chapter 1

I stand at the door, still unsure of what I am about to do. I am aware that this could be the worst decision of my life - the King could put me back in jail. But ever since I heard the man's possible condition, it had been in my ideals to see him. To see if the rumours were true.

They had started after I ran away to small, almost abandoned town just over the border of Norta in Lakeland. A kind guard I regrettably didn't learn the name of - we had no time to ask - had helped me escape the palace by pretending to give me the sleeping drugs, and then proceeded to smuggle me as far away as possible. Soon after, I met the poor yet inexplicably kind family who took me into their home, accepting me as one of their own children - although I still kept in contact with my own family. My own family is used to my absence. My new family had told me that they admired my spirit and courage. Defying the royal family as the Little Lightning Girl, a girl with Red blood and Silver powers. The rest of the Barrow family understood that it was for my safety, so they didn't object. They were the ones who encouraged me to come today. And so I did, so that I wouldn't disappoint them. It wasn't like we couldn't communicate - there was still the mail. We had worked out pen names for each other so that it would be less obvious to the Silvers and Reds that dealt with the process of delivering the mail.

Sometimes I wonder if they are happy that they are rid of me. One less troublesome daughter to look after.

Rumour has it the once starchy King Maven now leaves most of his work to his most loyal advisors, now just becoming the face of the country - but not the true ruler. Lady Evangeline vies for his heart, yet he does not seem to care. Yet it is not this information that has worried my heart for quite some time. Part of me wonders why I still care after everything that happened between us.

But what I do know is that I do not lament the King - but my once lover, the prince. Though all of that may have just been an act. A play acted out by his mother, the Queen Elara. A figment of imagination.

King Maven does not accept anyone into his room except several maids and butlers whose faces are covered, his advisors, and on some occasions, Lady Evangeline. Every couple of months, he gives speeches or broadcasts to show that he is alive. But every time, he is cold and distant, disinterested about whatever he has be told to say. Before, he was very passionate about his job and had a spark in his eyes when he would talk.

Some say he is a drunkard, drinking to forget his real life and the stress that comes along with his role - only relieving himself from the drink when he has a presentation. During that, he sits in a daze atop his throne, unproductive half of the time. Although he has a life that many would wish for, he doesn't like it. Instead of using his time, he discards it.

And all this sounds so unlike the Maven that I used to know, so I have decided to come and see him in disguise. I don't know why, but the thought that he sits all day alone and drunk in his room pains me. Even though he imprisoned me, and then Cal after he turned himself in as well. We were both people who loved him and believed in who he used to be. A brother and fiancée.

I stand in front of the throne room's door, donning my companion Jessica's uniform over my own clothing and her head cover. It is like a black party mask, yet it extends to the nape of the neck. Jessica had told me that all maids with long hair are required a bun to hide their hair colour. Because the King doesn't want to see any personal traits, so he doesn't become attached to anyone.

Jessica is a friend of my foster family who just so happens to work at the palace. During one of her breaks, I was able to converse with her and tell her my curiosity about the King. Surprisingly, she had understood my pondering and we had devised our plan.

Taking a deep breath, I nod at Jessica, who hands me a tray with several wine bottles and a glass. So, the rumours are true that he has become a drunkard. And a big one at that.

Hesitantly, I open the door with a shaking hand. When I enter the room, I suddenly become very aware of how dark the whole room is. Not in terms of light - there is a large chandelier hanging from the ceiling providing a dim white light that manages to stretch it's fingers throughout at least half of the room. But the walls of the room are black, and there's barely a spot of colourful decorations anywhere. The furnishing is very plain. A seemingly unused desk sits in one corner, a bed opposite, and on the other side of the room sits a large throne.

The throne itself is also a dark black, a plain stone. Likewise is the man slumped into the throne, the King himself. He wears a black outfit that seems like a training suit, armour, and a large cape. The only splotches of colour that I can spot are the dark red curtain behind the throne and the half drunk glass in his hands.

His face is pallid, hair neatly cut but terribly unruly - as if he hasn't bothered to brush it for months on end. Yet it is his eyes and expression that pain me the most. A distant thin line is his mouth, a sour expression painted all over his visage. Blue eyes are distant, misty and dull with alcohol.

I almost jump when he finally utters something. Glassy eyes are fixed on me, or rather the tray balanced delicately on my hand. "I see you have finally arrived," he says half-heartedly, hand limp on the side of his throne. "Put the tray there."

Author's note: 

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the first part of this short Alternate Universe FanFiction. I will be posting sections every weekend and maybe some extra updates during the week. This story was inspired by the events of Jane Eyre and banner at the top of the page. The image is not my artwork, all rights go to the artist; who's work I found on Pinterest. All of this FanFiction will be told in Mare's POV. Please comment and let me know what you thought!

- Inkpen_Scroll