Chapter 2

A/N: Due to all of the reads, positive comments, and followers that I have received, I decided to post this extra chapter. Enjoy! :)

The statement is not said calmly or with any thanks. It is a plain order, demanding me to do as he says. As I near, I can observe how thin he is underneath his thick uniform and over-large cloak. There is a noir sash glinting with various medals of honour. Most of which are from the rulers before him.

As gently as possible, I lay the tray by his side, lifting the empty glass onto the tray and aligning the new glass closer to him. The King barely notices, staring off into the distance with a far away glance. I take this as another advantage to observe him, and can see how the apparent lack of nutrition has caused his cheekbones to protrude, showing his bones even more than before.

Trying to catch his attention, I put down the bottle harder than before. It works somewhat, as he turns his head and orders me to grab a meal from the cook.

Scrambling, I half run towards the door to Jessica. She raises her eyebrows and mouthes, 'how did it go?'

I resist the urge to snort, and reply softly, "I see the rumours are true. Do you have any evidence as to why he's become like this... I mean, he certainly wasn't like this before..." my voice trails off as I realize how I am stating the obvious.

Jessica shakes her head, and says, "About a week or so after his mother died. Perhaps he is still grieving her and his father."

That makes sense, I conclude. I would probably react similarly if someone else died in our family, or any of my acquaintances - especially if more than one person died at a time. "He wanted his meal from the kitchen," I say, "but unfortunately I don't know where it is."

"Leave it to me," says Jessica, and she leaves me standing alone, nearer to any of the Royals or their Silver nobles than I have been in over a year.

Over in the room across from where I am standing, I can hear the unmistakable sound of glass shattering on a hard surface, and I know that there is only one person there that could do that. An unwelcome shiver goes up my spine. If the theories about the King becoming drunk are accurate, perhaps it is true that he is becoming mad. One of the only true cures that prevent one from becoming mad is to be spoken to by another.

In my heart, somewhere I feel that I ought to help him out. Not because I feel obligated. Because the kingdom that he is ruling - and both the Reds and Silvers who reside in it - deserves a sane ruler. All Kings or Queens are kept in their position - until death. No matter how crazed or insane they are. Their nobles can try to knock some sense into them, but the ruler has the final decision.

After a couple moments of tedious waiting, Jessica has returned with yet another tray, and informs me to place it on his other side. I whisper my thanks, and cautiously return into the room with the man I am all of a sudden even more concerned about seeing.

Even from the distance I am from him, I can spot the half drunk glass now shattered against the wall, red liquid dripping from the wall. I shudder, as I realize that it looks like a human body has been smashed against the wall, their body has been replaced with glass and the blood is still dripping.

A wave of terror shakes my form and mind, and my hand trembles as I lay down the dinner tray. I try to ignore his satisfied grin. "Clear it up," he orders lazily, pointing disjointedly at the broken mess.

I despise how he can still make me do what he wants. Like Cal, I think. When he and his mother want us to do something, they make us. Aside from my own will, I'm over to the wall in a flash, trying to avoid stepping on the glass shards that litter the floor. Pulling a towel that is looped into Jessica's uniform, I began to mop up the liquid. It picks up quickly, yet it dyes the towel a dull red.

Like his influence on me. I was ordered to be bonded to him through marriage, and then - hesitantly - picked him up. Our relationship was quick, but when it disappeared, it still remained. No matter how much I try to get it out and all the people that try to aid me in my mission. Now I have to pick up the glass shards of my life. Put them into a bag together and try to put them back to what they once were. Yet something always will feel missing.

Finally, I finish cleaning up the mess, throwing the stained, used towel and bag into the small disposal bin by the door. Clearly it was placed there for incidents like this. I hover around, wondering what other disasters and errands he will throw at me.

Seeing my hesitance, the King seems to mull over sending me out of his presence. Probably considering whether I am useful. If he can use me some more. To my surprise, he decision is far from what I would have guessed. "You are dismissed," he says, no remote interest in his voice.

"Have a good day, Your Majesty," I dare, even after not saying anything the whole time. I decide this is probably the most prudent time, since I am leaving after he dismisses me.

The King is up in a second, hands around my throat. I am vaguely surprised that he has so much energy all of a sudden, even though it appears that he doesn't care for himself anymore. In reality, I note that it's the drink that is giving him spurts of energy all of a sudden. "Did you dare to talk to me? It is forbidden...." he stops, a look of combined horror and recognition crosses his face. I can almost smell the wine on his breath. "Who is this? If you are lying about anything, you will be punished dearly." His hands tighten around my neck, causing a sharp pain in my throat. I can feel the heat emanating off of them.

I try to say something, but find I can't. I attempt in vain to take off my mask so that he can see who I truly am, but he pries my fingers away after letting go of my neck. First, he rips off the loose uniform that I am donning and the apron, revealing my outfit from before. A pale blue top with fitted brown jeans that are perfect for the work that I have to do at my foster family's abode. Jessica had asked that I wore her uniform over my own clothes, and it wasn't something I dared to contradict. Especially following all her assistance with my crazy request. After fumbling for a couple of seconds at the face mask, he has got it off - and is staring right at my exposed face. I flush and try to look anywhere but directly into his eyes.

Author's note: 

Thank you again for all of the reads so far! I really appreciate everyone reading my work. Shout outs to madythorne00shattered_quill, and booklover4lifes for their comments and voting on the first chapter!

- Inkpen_Scroll