Chapter 7

Eager to be ready for Cal, I bounce out of my bed the moment my eyes flutter open. The butterflies won't let me rest. The King had my bedroom I occupied as Mareena Titanos made up after I left, but it still has the familiar feeling that it did prior to his betrayal. My old refuge. The walls seem to have been painted a brighter colour. One of my favourite colours, blue.

Without truly processing what I am doing, I pull on the first dress that the maids had shown me last night. Even though they and the rest of the Red servants had only just been notified of my arrival, they had somehow managed to pull together a couple outfits for my benefit. The outfit that I am wearing today is pale blue dress, adorned with shimmering material on the skirt. A small flower fastens the top together, folds of fabric rolling down the front.

From masses of shoes and clothing, they pull a slightly worn pair of blue shoes that are just about my size. I choose not to complain that they are a half size too small. For in my elation of seeing Cal again, it doesn't seem to matter.

The two brothers who had once occupied my thoughts with worries and questions have now replaced those anxieties with happiness. For I now know that they are alive. Maven seems happier now that he knows that I am alive, and I hope that his brother will react similarly.

Unable to keep myself from waiting any longer, I politely excuse myself from my attentive maids. "Thank you for helping me this morning, ladies."

They all curtsy in return, quietly remarking that it was their pleasure to have helped the Lightning Girl. Something in me stirs. I can't believe that the Reds, and perhaps even the Silvers, still remember Mareena Titanos, who stood up to her superiors. I would have thought that people would have forgotten about that by now, but clearly they still remember.

Giving the girls one last smile, I turn on my heels towards the door. A strange new doorknob rests underneath my hand, and I find that it rests underneath my palm easier. With a quick turn of the wrist, I pull the door open to the large hallway outside. Strangely enough, I discover that not much of the hallways have changed - though there was never much to change in the first place.

Although I once found the hallways quiet and lifeless, I can now sense that it is quite the opposite. Rather, there are hushed voices and the sound of errands being done surrounding me. Footsteps sound from both ends of the hallway, blurred figures rushing here and there.

I merge into the bustling halls, traversing towards the room in which Maven told me he would get Cal to come to when he arrived. It is the room adjacent to the throne room, so I find that I have no trouble finding it.

The room is about the size of my bedroom, and appears to be a waiting room, or something of the sort. Several paintings of Kings and Queens line the walls, and a couple tables with flowers occupy the floor space. But what catches my eye is the number of sofas and tables that are covered with books there are. It seems fairly random and organized all at the same time.

The sofas are placed in diamond or square formations that fit evenly into the room. I sit down on one of the sofas that is nearest to the door, enjoying the feeling of sinking deep into the material. I heave a soft sigh, letting go of all the apprehension that I'm feeling at the moment. I rest my arms on the black waxed leather and finally get the chance to close my eyes.

Author's note:

All rights for the image in the banner go to the artist. Sorry for the shorter chapter, but I found that this chapter and the next chapter were too long together. Thank you for reading, voting and commenting! I can't believe that this story is over 350 views! 😊

Next weekend I am going to a music festival for a band (I play clarinet) and choir performance, so I won't be able to update during that time. I am also moving my next Wednesday update to Tuesday. After that, my updates will return to normal! 

- Inkpen_Scroll