Chapter 24

"They confirmed everything, Mare. I convinced them to go get Cal today."

Maven looks tired. If it's possible, even more so than when I saw him again after that year. Purple rings lie underneath his eyes, making them seem icier than I remember. He probably didn't sleep at all last night. "I know I've said it before, but thank you. You've pulled the strings so that I can see Cal, and I don't know how-"

"Mare, it's alright. I was the cause of your separation in the first place, during that year. When we had the huge misunderstanding, when I.... betrayed you. You need to know that I regret this whole situation that I created."

I hear footsteps from around the corner, and I rush my response more than I would have liked. "You know that I forgave you a long time ago. Ever since you fought for your causes and I saw how you were ruined by your faulty decisions...."

I know that he's heard my response, for his eyes light up like I've never seen them before. But his mouth is set as he sees Marcus Lerolan walking up to us. Although I found the guard annoying at first, I find that he is loyal to the Nortans.

More than some others, before.

"The Generals have approved your proposal to start the search for the Prince today," Marcus says, authority and underlying pride coating his tone. It's no secret that it's an honour to deliver news to the infamous Silver King among the nobles.

Yet Maven graces me with his presence almost every single day, so that must be even more of an honour. Part of me is surprised that he's not frustrated with everything already. "Great. Tell them I will be ready in an hour, at the least." His voice is still sharp and crisp with authority.

I can tell that he's tired, though. The way how his shoulders are slightly more rounded than before, eyes more defeated. I hope that he won't return into the stupor that he was in before. "Thank you, Your Highness," Lerolan responds, and turns away with a strange smirk.

Maven waits until the guard is fully out of the corridor before continuing our previous conversation. "Thank you..... for forgiving me. You're right, that I was ruined by my decisions. I've decided that I will now live a life without uncertainty and only do what I believe is right. I hope this makes you happy, going to find Cal. We'd better go to find our uniforms and get ready for the whole plan."

He turns to leave, but I grab the King's arm to prevent it. "You know that it makes me happy, Maven. And please know, it's not just this that makes me forgive you. Just the fact that you've changed and you rule the whole country better helps. That our.... relationship has improved."

Maven's eyes scan my face, and he kisses me on the cheek lightly. "Anything for you, Mare."

After giving me a parting smile, he begins to walk away. His shoulders were rounded not a minute ago, but now they have straightened.

My thoughts drift to seeing Cal again, today. Perhaps he will be happy to see me, or perhaps be will be besotted with the new situation that he has found himself in. I don't see why he would give everything up so rapidly. The King of the Lakelanders must have done something. Something to persuade him.

Gathering myself in preparation for the day to come, I realize that I need to prepare for the worst. You don't want to seem like that clingy lover who still hangs on even when the other is done with you.

*()*

I requested a carriage by myself because I didn't think that I would have the energy to socialize. Not when my mind was on something completely different. Though Maven didn't try to bother me with mindless chatter, others did. Thinking that they were helping me.

Even Kilorn, whose wonted lifestyle was one where he would talk of his own accord and others would listen, was solemn.

The crew who will be fetching Prince Cal are decked out fully in black, so that we may blend into the background. Besides pulling my hair back into a bun, Xena and I drew black stripes on our flushed cheeks. Although Gisa and I did respect each other as siblings, we didn't do things like this together.

Bronx, still wary, was watching us solemnly before I suggested he did the same. Soon enough, most of the Scarlet Guard members sported the dark lines across their red faces.

Gently, I finger the markings. If you cry, Mare, everyone will be able to see. You must look fierce. Lighting dances across my hands, crawling over the seat and dancing across the windows. There is a storm coming, and I believe that it could be a thunderstorm. Because I am here.

Familiar roads catch my eye as we cross the same terrain that we did when we came to defeat Terrell in the first place. Somehow, he evaded us and made everything worse. I wonder if we did the same to him over Queen Lilith. Something makes me doubt that, and their relationship is purely fabricated from popularity so that they may appeal to the crowd.

The ground seems more parched as we slowly make our way into the Lakeland territory. Everything seems more rural, as the carriage that I'm sitting in keeps bumping over rocks in the road. I keep my mouth shut, as the turbulence that the whole carriage is going through makes my stomach roll with uneasiness.

"Cal, we're coming for you," I whisper under my breath, foolishly hoping that he may be able to hear my quiet musings.

My whole body jolts forward as the drivers stop the carriage without a warning. When I was with Maven, they made sure that they notified us of the speed change. I brace my knees so that my head doesn't hit the closest carriage wall. It's moments like these that make me despise being shorter than my comrades.

The Silver jumps from his front portion of the cab and opens the door for me. I almost scowl before I see who the person is. Darcy.

"I'm sorry for the rough stop, Lady Barrow. The carriages in front of us came to an abrupt stop, and there was a boulder to the side. Normally, in this situation, I would have tried to make everything smoother." After seeing my nonchalant expression, he grins. "Sometimes I forget that you're a newblood and you don't care as much as a Silver does. Anyways, are you alright with everything?"

With his presence, I begin to feel at ease. Darcy knows what it's like. "As alright as I can be. Hoping that we may be able to find Laila and Cal, for both of our sakes."

Darcy lends me his arm, and I hop down onto the dry ground. After letting go, he slaps me on the back gently. Just like Shade would. "Honestly, Darcy. You're just like my older brother."

"Another Barrow? Another lightning child? Tell me, how many siblings do you have?"

My heart feels guilty as I remember my family, the Barrow family. The family whom I have been neglecting lately. I should go see them, after all of this is done. And my niece and nephew. "I had four siblings. One younger sister, three older brothers."

"Had?"

I sigh heavily. "Yes, had. Gisa, my sister, is still alive. I may have ruined her hands, but she still lives on. Bree and Tramy are still alive. Yet my other brother, Shade, he was a newblood. He sacrificed himself for me in another prison break in. That's why I don't really want to fight today. His children, twins, live on. I still haven't been able to see them."

Darcy's countenance is twisted into an expression of understanding. "I'm sorry, Lady Mare. I'm sure that he would be happy that you're fighting to get the one that you love back, and you have the courage to fight. Don't let it bring you down. I'm worried that Laila wouldn't want me fighting, but I'm still going to."

"Thanks, Darcy," I say.

We both look out into the distance, to the stunted trees that litter the landscape. Perhaps it is that the sun does not shine bright here, but I don't like the vibes that this place gives me as I look around.

And that feeling is only magnified as I glance around. Right in front of me sits a glamourized palace, even more glamoured up than the one in Norta. Large turrets loom over the land, painted extravagantly in red and gold. In the distance, I can see a small village behind it. The village appears like it may be in ruins.

Then my eyes settle on the prison, where Cal is being held at the moment.

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Please let me know what you thought. :)